• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sb4Rivers
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

I agree. He and and Derwin are our best defensive players. It's high time the Chargers get Joey some proven talent on the inside of that defensive front, to play alongside. They have the cap for it now.
    Sorry, does not matter how good these two are, need to teach rest of team to tackle.

also chargers have to overpay players because they have no chance at PO in our division

Comment

• SDBORN
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Sb4Rivers View Post

Sorry, does not matter haw goo these two are, need to teach rest of team to tackle.
      That won't happen until the owners get us some real talent on the coaching staff.

Adding proven guys who already know how to play and lead won't hurt though. And it could rub off on some of the other guys.

Comment

• Sb4Rivers
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2019
        • Send PM

Only way I see chargers progressing is to go all out for #1 pick. It shows the team they want to win now. This could be the momentum they need.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Sb4Rivers View Post

Sorry, does not matter how good these two are, need to teach rest of team to tackle.

also chargers have to overpay players because they have no chance at PO in our division
          What are you saying ?
          If the Chargers can go 12-4 to 5-11
          They can go 0-6 to 6-0 in division
          I really can't understand why we lost to DEN and OAK

Comment

• Originally posted by MusicMakerInMe View Post

Don't really agree with this take man, no offense. I mean, do we expect Mahomes to throw and catch his own passes at this point to give some credit?

That 44 yard throw (56 yards in air without stepping into it) was with Bosa down the middle and Buckner in his face barrelling down. Buckner even hit him. Mahomes backed up to buy some time, stared down their DLine and still got off a strike. That Watkins pass was floated over one of the best corners of this era and landed right in the receiver's hands in stride and in between the safety. Two plays before that he broke Bosa's tackle, stepped up in the pocket and lasered a ball to Kelce between the numbers for a first down.

That touchdown at the end by Williams was also not needed, although it was a great run by a fantastic player. All they needed was the first down and they could've taken knees. The 49ers didn't have enough timeouts. So those extra 30+ yards and a touchdown were kind of a bonus at that point. That game was won primarily on Mahomes's arm down the stretch and the entire defense stepping up. Like I said before, a lot of quarterbacks in the same position would further give the game away after facing that much pressure through the course of a game against a DLine like that. In fact, the pressure from the 49ers increased in intensity in the 2nd half and got through the OL more. Yet Mahomes made plays in every way: throwing on the run, scrambling for first downs, stepping up in the pocket to make passes, etc. So to make plays and keep composure when their DLine was playing at their best is another nod to Mahomes. Remember, it's not how you start, it's how you finish.

I hope the Chargers right now are making preparations for dealing with this guy for at least the next 10 years and not get naive. There's no guarantee somebody that good slows down soon, especially with a coach like Andy Reid. The AFC East failed to acknowledge this by not getting guys that can get to the QB and slow Brady down over time. I mean to this day fans of other teams in those divisions are still in denial about Brady and refuse to give him the proper credit: their o-line, defense, weapons, refs, etc. are the reasons for the rings and excuses not to give Brady his due. The only year a team had their number was when the Jets had one of the best defenses in the league. It's highly unlikely that we'll find another quarterback that can go throw for throw and score to score with Mahomes who has shattered every major record so far in the same amount of time and is now an MVP and Super Bowl MVP. The Chargers need to make sure the defense is 100% sound and the handful of games where they've shown some success against the Chiefs still doesn't convince me they have them figured out.
            Yeah, we definitely disagree.

From my perspective, as I and others have noted, Hill was 20 yards in the clear. That was what made the 44 yard completion. It was not as if Mahomes led him perfectly for a TD. He just threw the ball up there and anywhere out there would have been just fine. Mahomes did not have his throwing motion altered by the defense in any way. Again, there is not a single QB in the league that cannot throw a pop fly pass to a receiver 20 yards in the clear that could have, in all seriousness, been fair caught because Hill was that wide open. Anywhere in the area was a reception, so that play result merits no special recognition for Mahomes. It does for Hill.

Further, Sherman's career is obviously irrelevant to his failed coverage on the pass to Watkins. Sherman's defect is that he lacks speed. When his technique failed him, Watkins was quickly able to emerge with a three step cushion. It was a more difficult throw than the pass to Hill, but still a very easy one that I would expect every NFL QB to make. Again, the play was made by Watkins, not Mahomes.

Emphatically, I completely disagree with the start and finish nonsense. Someday people will understand that a TD counts the same in the first quarter as it does in the fourth quarter. The stats tell us what Mahomes did. The fact that KC won despite a below average NFL QB game by Mahomes just means that Mahomes had a huge margin of error. He could and did suck a lot and yet the Chiefs won anyway.

Your claim that Mahomes made plays in every way, which I disagree with, is, even if true, irrelevant. A more accurate statement might be that Mahomes blew plays in every way, missing wide open receivers, throwing INTs, near INTs and fumbling twice. At the end of the day, his stats are what he did and those say from a purely objective standpoint that he sucked.

The TD run by Williams iced the game. The 49ers still had a chance with a stop (though not a very good one) and Williams took away that chance with his long TD run.

On a team utterly loaded with offensive weapons and a good offensive line, Mahomes finished 7th in QB rating and led the league in zero gross production categories. His stat line was eerily similar to Alex Smith's in 2017. The 2018 Chargers beat the Chiefs with Mahomes in KC and held them to under 300 yards of offense and would have shut them out in the second half of that game if the refs had not gifted KC a defensive penalty filled TD drive. As a Chargers fan, Mahomes does not intimidate me at all. He is a good QB with an elite arm. The rest of the hysteria surrounding Mahomes is just media inflated fluff.

Lastly, a QB with a higher ceiling than Mahomes presently is the starting QB for the Clemson Tigers. His name is Trevor Lawrence and he is one of the best QB prospects for the NFL ever.

Comment

• MusicMakerInMe
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Yeah, we definitely disagree.

From my perspective, as I and others have noted, Hill was 20 yards in the clear. That was what made the 44 yard completion. It was not as if Mahomes led him perfectly for a TD. He just threw the ball up there and anywhere out there would have been just fine. Mahomes did not have his throwing motion altered by the defense in any way. Again, there is not a single QB in the league that cannot throw a pop fly pass to a receiver 20 yards in the clear that could have, in all seriousness, been fair caught because Hill was that wide open. Anywhere in the area was a reception, so that play result merits no special recognition for Mahomes. It does for Hill.

Further, Sherman's career is obviously irrelevant to his failed coverage on the pass to Watkins. Sherman's defect is that he lacks speed. When his technique failed him, Watkins was quickly able to emerge with a three step cushion. It was a more difficult throw than the pass to Hill, but still a very easy one that I would expect every NFL QB to make. Again, the play was made by Watkins, not Mahomes.

Emphatically, I completely disagree with the start and finish nonsense. Someday people will understand that a TD counts the same in the first quarter as it does in the fourth quarter. The stats tell us what Mahomes did. The fact that KC won despite a below average NFL QB game by Mahomes just means that Mahomes had a huge margin of error. He could and did suck a lot and yet the Chiefs won anyway.

Your claim that Mahomes made plays in every way, which I disagree with, is, even if true, irrelevant. A more accurate statement might be that Mahomes blew plays in every way, missing wide open receivers, throwing INTs, near INTs and fumbling twice. At the end of the day, his stats are what he did and those say from a purely objective standpoint that he sucked.

The TD run by Williams iced the game. The 49ers still had a chance with a stop (though not a very good one) and Williams took away that chance with his long TD run.

On a team utterly loaded with offensive weapons and a good offensive line, Mahomes finished 7th in QB rating and led the league in zero gross production categories. His stat line was eerily similar to Alex Smith's in 2017. The 2018 Chargers beat the Chiefs with Mahomes in KC and held them to under 300 yards of offense and would have shut them out in the second half of that game if the refs had not gifted KC a defensive penalty filled TD drive. As a Chargers fan, Mahomes does not intimidate me at all. He is a good QB with an elite arm. The rest of the hysteria surrounding Mahomes is just media inflated fluff.

Lastly, a QB with a higher ceiling than Mahomes presently is the starting QB for the Clemson Tigers. His name is Trevor Lawrence and he is one of the best QB prospects for the NFL ever.
              Agree to disagree it is then!

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by MusicMakerInMe View Post

Agree to disagree it is then!
                And I agree with you. So many ridiculous statements. Apparently every time a receiver makes a play he deserves all the credit. That will be a new standard for judging QBs. Truth is KC would have had a lead at the half of Williams had looked for the ball on a well thrown pass to the end zone in the first half. Would have given KC another TD. But Mahomes gets no credit for that.

like I said, it’s gonna be a difficult off season and future for the Mahomes haters.

Comment

• MusicMakerInMe
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

And I agree with you. So many ridiculous statements. Apparently every time a receiver makes a play he deserves all the credit. That will be a new standard for judging QBs. Truth is KC would have had a lead at the half of Williams had looked for the ball on a well thrown pass to the end zone in the first half. Would have given KC another TD. But Mahomes gets no credit for that.

like I said, it’s gonna be a difficult off season and future for the Mahomes haters.
                  One thing I've learned is that when somebody doesn't like another person, it's really going to be tough to convince them of something despite direct proof, accolades and results. They have it set in their mind and most likely won’t give any kind of credit unless the hated person does something for them directly at that point. Which is fine because we're all human after all. Unless something is perfect (nothing is) there's always something to criticize no matter how marginal it is in the big picture, it because it’s there they’ll use it as a defense and excuse. Which is cool, I just think the wise thing is to no longer give it anymore energy/attention though.
                  Last edited by MusicMakerInMe; 02-06-2020, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X