• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Shanahan is a worthy heir to his father's run game. They were working that Deebo Samuel run repeatedly. Very inventive running game overall. Charger fans take note.
    Yep...the Niners used Samuel effectively on those reverses. The Bolts tried using Benji in similar fashion, but Rivers just never sold any kind of a fake to the RB, and PR was never a threat to run, so the play was doomed from the start...

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Shanihan pulled a Schottenheimer... Niners' OT's were gashing Chiefs DE's. Every run outside the tackles was going for 5+.
      Yep. The last 5 minutes or so, Shanarat Jr. crawled into a hole and played Ratball...

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/02/tyrann-mathieu-was-grateful-when-49ers-started-to-throw-the-ball/

We were grateful they got out of the run and started to throw the ball,” Tyrann Mathieu said.

10 point lead in the 4th Quarter. The Niners called five passes on their next eight plays, which resulted in a pair of punts. Kyle Shanahan broke into the league auditing the playcalls. I never received that advanced education and I knew what Shanahan was doing was bullshit.
        Honey Badger was getting so frustrated earlier, he was going ballistic on the sideline...then Shanarat Jr. bailed him out...

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...the Niners used Samuel effectively on those reverses. The Bolts tried using Benji in similar fashion, but Rivers just never sold any kind of a fake to the RB, and PR was never a threat to run, so the play was doomed from the start...
          Did anyone notice how Benji was most often going backwards, away from the line of scrimmage when passing Rivers, on those reverses? Who the hell would bother to consider he'd get the ball?

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Did anyone notice how Benji was most often going backwards, away from the line of scrimmage when passing Rivers, on those reverses? Who the hell would bother to consider he'd get the ball?
            LOL...yep...Benji just avoided ANY kind of contact at all costs....and speaking of Benji going backwards, there WAS that infamous punt return when he took the rock backwards...

Comment

• MusicMakerInMe
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Your "big plays" were not made by Mahomes. One was made by Hill (44 yard reception). One was made by a 49er defender committing pass interference in the end zone. One was made by Watkins (sideline reception). One was made by Williams (long TD run to ice the game). Giving Mahomes credit for the good or bad plays of others is unimpressive.

The run and fumble by Mahomes was unimpressive. I have posted elsewhere the names of 36 other NFL QBs that are faster than or about the same speed as Mahomes. All of them likely would have made the run without fumbling and costing their team a first down in the process.

Even if one foolishly gave Mahomes credit for the late big plays, the only reason why the Chiefs trailed in the first place was because Mahomes played like crap through three and one-third quarters, actually "outcrapping" Garoppolo--no small accomplishment. Instead of just looking at the final 9 minutes, give or take, the better analysis is to examine his entire performance, which includes two INTs, two fumbles and a below average 78.1 QB rating. Whether the so-called big plays came early or late, his performance is his performance and it is not MVP worthy--period.

I expected Mahomes to be named MVP for any Chiefs win no matter how poorly he played. A vote is proof of nothing in terms of how well a player played. Mahomes is not the first undeserving Super Bowl MVP and he will not be the last.

Mahomes being named Super Bowl MVP was obviously wrong and so stupid as to be laughable, so it is not a tough issue for me. I just dismiss the vote as meaningless. The stats tell the story--Mahomes sucked.
              Don't really agree with this take man, no offense. I mean, do we expect Mahomes to throw and catch his own passes at this point to give some credit?

That 44 yard throw (56 yards in air without stepping into it) was with Bosa down the middle and Buckner in his face barrelling down. Buckner even hit him. Mahomes backed up to buy some time, stared down their DLine and still got off a strike. That Watkins pass was floated over one of the best corners of this era and landed right in the receiver's hands in stride and in between the safety. Two plays before that he broke Bosa's tackle, stepped up in the pocket and lasered a ball to Kelce between the numbers for a first down.

That touchdown at the end by Williams was also not needed, although it was a great run by a fantastic player. All they needed was the first down and they could've taken knees. The 49ers didn't have enough timeouts. So those extra 30+ yards and a touchdown were kind of a bonus at that point. That game was won primarily on Mahomes's arm down the stretch and the entire defense stepping up. Like I said before, a lot of quarterbacks in the same position would further give the game away after facing that much pressure through the course of a game against a DLine like that. In fact, the pressure from the 49ers increased in intensity in the 2nd half and got through the OL more. Yet Mahomes made plays in every way: throwing on the run, scrambling for first downs, stepping up in the pocket to make passes, etc. So to make plays and keep composure when their DLine was playing at their best is another nod to Mahomes. Remember, it's not how you start, it's how you finish.

I hope the Chargers right now are making preparations for dealing with this guy for at least the next 10 years and not get naive. There's no guarantee somebody that good slows down soon, especially with a coach like Andy Reid. The AFC East failed to acknowledge this by not getting guys that can get to the QB and slow Brady down over time. I mean to this day fans of other teams in those divisions are still in denial about Brady and refuse to give him the proper credit: their o-line, defense, weapons, refs, etc. are the reasons for the rings and excuses not to give Brady his due. The only year a team had their number was when the Jets had one of the best defenses in the league. It's highly unlikely that we'll find another quarterback that can go throw for throw and score to score with Mahomes who has shattered every major record so far in the same amount of time and is now an MVP and Super Bowl MVP. The Chargers need to make sure the defense is 100% sound and the handful of games where they've shown some success against the Chiefs still doesn't convince me they have them figured out.
              Last edited by MusicMakerInMe; 02-04-2020, 01:08 AM.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by MusicMakerInMe View Post

Don't really agree with this take man, no offense. I mean, do we expect Mahomes to throw and catch his own passes at this point to give some credit?

That 44 yard throw (56 yards in air without stepping into it) was with Bosa down the middle and Buckner in his face barrelling down. Buckner even hit him. Mahomes backed up to buy some time, stared down their DLine and still got off a strike. That Watkins pass was floated over one of the best corners of this era and landed right in the receiver's hands in stride and in between the safety. Two plays before that he broke Bosa's tackle, stepped up in the pocket and lasered a ball to Kelce between the numbers for a first down.

That touchdown at the end by Williams was also not needed. All they needed was the first down and they could've taken knees. The 49ers didn't have enough timeouts at that point. So those extra 40+ yards and a touchdown were kind of a bonus at that point. That game was won on Mahomes's arm down the stretch and the entire defense stepping up. Like I said before, a lot of quarterbacks in the same position would further give the game away after facing that much pressure through the course of a game against a DLine like that. In fact, the pressure from the 49ers increased in intensity in the 2nd half and got through the OL more. yet Mahomes made plays in every way, throwing on the run, scrambling for first down, stepping up in the pocket, etc. So to make plays and keep composure when their DLine was playing at their best is another nod to Mahomes. Remember, it's not how you start, it's how you finish.

I hope the Chargers right now are making preparations for dealing with this guy for at least the next 10 years and not get naive. There's no guarantee somebody that good slows down, especially with a coach like Andy Reid. The AFC East failed to acknowledge this by not getting guys that can get to the QB and slow Brady down over time. I mean to this day fans of other teams in those divisions are still in denial about Brady and refuse to give him the proper credit: their o-line, defense, weapons, refs, etc. are the reason for the rings. The only year a team had their number was when the Jets had one of the best defenses in the league. It's highly unlikely that we'll find another quarterback that can blow for blow with Mahomes, someone who has shattered every major record so far in the same amount of time and is now an MVP and Super Bowl MVP. The Chargers need to make sure the defense is 100% sound and the handful of games where they've shown some success against the Chiefs still doesn't convince me they have them figured out.
                Well said. I would just add that the way Mahomes finished deserves more credit after the way the game went before that. Big time players step up and make big time plays when the game is on the line. That’s what legends are made of

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Well said. I would just add that the way Mahomes finished deserves more credit after the way the game went before that. Big time players step up and make big time plays when the game is on the line. That’s what legends are made of
                  It also helps to have a receiver like Hill standing open by 20 yards downfield when you need to complete a pass.

Comment

• SDBORN
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

It also helps to have a receiver like Hill standing open by 20 yards downfield when you need to complete a pass.
                    Reid really knows how to build an offense. So much speed on that receiving core + qb who can buy time and has a Canon of an arm with the flick of the wrist. That's deadly. Add to that the fact that the league has been calling offensive holding less and less, and you have the recipe for an offense you can never really stop entirely.

You can only slow that offense down and hope your offense scores enough to win by a score when the game is over. Not trying to take away from mahomes, but you don't have to be that accurate to hit these guys with the factors I listed above at play. Mahomes is quite talented, but he does have an amazing cast around him, no doubt.

Haven't looked it up, but I had read somewhere that mohomes and Alex Smith had similar stats in the same system Reid? Interesting if so.
                    ​​​​

PS I heard Joey wasn't too happy about the way his brother was getting mugged and got no calls.
                    ​​​​​

Comment

• foreigner
                      Tom Telesco is gone
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Send PM

Fuck Nick... I want Joey to be the winner, the nick dude can go to hell...

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Reid really knows how to build an offense. So much speed on that receiving core + qb who can buy time and has a Canon of an arm with the flick of the wrist. That's deadly. Add to that the fact that the league has been calling offensive holding less and less, and you have the recipe for an offense you can never really stop entirely.

You can only slow that offense down and hope your offense scores enough to win by a score when the game is over. Not trying to take away from mahomes, but you don't have to be that accurate to hit these guys with the factors I listed above at play. Mahomes is quite talented, but he does have an amazing cast around him, no doubt.

Haven't looked it up, but I had read somewhere that mohomes and Alex Smith had similar stats in the same system Reid? Interesting if so.
                        ​​​​

PS I heard Joey wasn't too happy about the way his brother was getting mugged and got no calls.
                        ​​​​​
                        Nick was gettin raped out there sometimes by two o linemen at once and no flag.Even my wife pointed it out.Madden boy was destined to win alright.

Comment

• SDBORN
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Nick was gettin raped out there sometimes by two o linemen at once and no flag.Even my wife pointed it out.Madden boy was destined to win alright.
                          Yep. It's what the league wants. Nullify great defensive fronts with no calls, and get more explosive passing plays and higher scoring games. On the other side, you get more PI calls (some subjective), which helps teams with speedy receivers who can create space. So how is it fair? The enforcement of the rules is stacked against good defensive fronts, which is really the only way to stop high powered offense like the Chiefs.

Nice Superbowl win for kc and all but nothing out of the ordinary impressive really. They went through the titans, Texans and a rat Jr. Meltdown, which wouldn't be the first lol. The league got what it wanted to usher in a new era.
                          ​​​
                          ​​

Comment

Working...
                          X