• Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/201...-1-snap-counts

The defense's performance seems pretty depressing until you look at the snap counts and you understand why.

Michael Davis was pulled early due to a hammy
    Brandon Faycson playing 92 percent of snaps and looking totally unprepared to do so
    No Trevor Williams
    Rayshawn Jenkins playing 100 percent of snaps at FS
    No snaps for Adderly
    Adrian Phillips playing SS full time, showing he's better suited for a part-time specialty role
    Thomas Davis playing every defensive snap, showing why he wasn't re-signed in Carolina
    No Perryman
    No snaps at all for Tranquill
    Tillery only playing a third of snaps

The defense will improve greatly
    With Perryman, T Williams and M Davis back and playing
    G Brad needs to get Adderly involved starting next week
    Tranquill needs to have the opportunity to show what he can do
    Don't rely on T Davis ... his snap count should be cut in half, no more than 50 percent
    Resign R Jenkins to a special teams role and the No. 3 back up
    Tillery becomes a full time player
    Nwosu gets more snaps than T Davis or K White

And when D James returns, the defense will be what we thought it would be.
    We've GOT to find a way to get Adderley and Tranquill in there...

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Yeah, I thought White had a zero impact game yesterday. I think we would've been better against the run with Perryman or Brown if either could have gone but was wondering why Tranquil didn't at least get a look? AP and White at LB was about as bad an LB crew against the run as we could field.
      And remember, Davis wasn't too impressive, either...

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Bosa had an amazing series just preceding the King muffed pint. He made all three tackles on that series, including a sack, a tackle on Mack and then chased Ty Hilton down the field on the WR screen to keep them from picking up the first. He was fired up that series. I don't know if he was pissed at the Colts OL or frustrated but he showed dominance. Then King muffed the punt and we lost momentum.

overall, Bosa was impressive yesterday

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
          Bosa had an amazing series just preceding the King muffed pint. He made all three tackles on that series, including a sack, a tackle on Mack and then chased Ty Hilton down the field on the WR screen to keep them from picking up the first. He was fired up that series. I don't know if he was pissed at the Colts OL or frustrated but he showed dominance. Then King muffed the punt and we lost momentum.

overall, Bosa was impressive yesterday
          Very true. Great scout's eye.

I remember seeing Bosa making a tackle downfield on a running play, with backside support. I believe it was third and long and he tackled Mack (?) just short of the first down marker.

Bosa seems to come up big in games at times when the momentum is slipping away.

King. Bad play. Uncharacteristic. We need to sense tje ebb and flow of games. It's part of building a winning culture.

On Hooker's free lance one handed INT, the scuttlebutt was "great play." Well, what about situational football ? We needed to chew up clock there and make it a two score game.

24-16 10 minutes left. Take the FG, Phil. He was going for the jugular. We know Phil. After the pick, Whis was barking at PR on the sidelines.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I remember seeing Bosa making a tackle downfield on a running play, with backside support. I believe it was third and long and he tackled Mack (?) just short of the first down marker.

King. Bad play. Uncharacteristic. We need to sense tje ebb and flow of games. It's part of building a winning culture.

On Hooker's free lance one handed INT, the scuttlebutt was "great play." Well, what about situational football ? We needed to chew up clock there and make it a two score game.

24-16 10 minutes left. Take the FG, Phil. He was going for the jugular. We know Phil. After the pick, Whis was barking at PR on the sidelines.
            Lynn made a comment that another Charger should have kept Hooker away from making that play. I wasn't sure what he meant. Maybe failing to run a route that Hooker would have had to cover?

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/201...-1-snap-counts

The defense's performance seems pretty depressing until you look at the snap counts and you understand why.

Michael Davis was pulled early due to a hammy
              Brandon Faycson playing 92 percent of snaps and looking totally unprepared to do so
              No Trevor Williams
              Rayshawn Jenkins playing 100 percent of snaps at FS
              No snaps for Adderly
              Adrian Phillips playing SS full time, showing he's better suited for a part-time specialty role
              Thomas Davis playing every defensive snap, showing why he wasn't re-signed in Carolina
              No Perryman
              No snaps at all for Tranquill
              Tillery only playing a third of snaps

The defense will improve greatly
              With Perryman, T Williams and M Davis back and playing
              G Brad needs to get Adderly involved starting next week
              Tranquill needs to have the opportunity to show what he can do
              Don't rely on T Davis ... his snap count should be cut in half, no more than 50 percent
              Resign R Jenkins to a special teams role and the No. 3 back up
              Tillery becomes a full time player
              Nwosu gets more snaps than T Davis or K White

And when D James returns, the defense will be what we thought it would be.
              The defense will get better with time. This guys article is just dumb.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Lynn made a comment that another Charger should have kept Hooker away from making that play. I wasn't sure what he meant. Maybe failing to run a route that Hooker would have had to cover?
                This was one of several post game comments by AL which surprised me, sonora.

But I tell you what, AL is sharp, succinct. He is ready to lead us.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

24-16 10 minutes left. Take the FG, Phil. He was going for the jugular. W know Phil. After the pick, Whis was barking at PR on the sidelines.
                  Nothing wrong with that. Wish McCoy had a killer instinct but he was a wuss. Hey it was a great play and more than not it's probably a TD. Had he threw it.a split second sooner it would have been.

It's always a gripe when it don't work out but I like the agressiveness

Comment

• Got Bait
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

A Field Goal at that point would have sealed the game. Pick was too risky and super frustrating.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Bosa's motor was very impressive yesterday. he was chasing guys down a few times from behind. fast guys. didn't give up on plays.

as for the INT, PR said in his presser that he looked at clock and scoreboard and was just telling himself before the play that a FG would probably be enough to win it. Then he went for it. Too risky in the situation. Hooker's catch was 100% 1st rounder. Pass was a bit soft and in traffic.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Nothing wrong with that. Wish McCoy had a killer instinct but he was a wuss. Hey it was a great play and more than not it's probably a TD. Had he threw it.a split second sooner it would have been.

It's always a gripe when it don't work out but I like the agressiveness
                        In the words of Bruce Bochy, "keep your head in the game."

Well, I did.

Before the pick, I thought out loud, "chew up some clock--take the FG."

No 20-20 hindsight here, Sir.

Did you see Whis yelling at Rivers on the sideline immediately thereafter ?

Ken was not accusing PR of eating the last Crustable.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

We aren't the only fans complaining about run defense. The Colts were a top run defense last season, but gave up 6.4 yards per carry to Ekeler and Jackson (115 yards on 18 totes). JJ averaged 9.5 ypc. That has their fan pundits looking for answers.

The Colts were gashed in the run game in Los Angeles Sunday afternoon, and it came as quite a surprise considering the way this defense fared against the run last season. Given their relative...

Comment

Working...
                          X