• Sep 2013
      • Send PM

Picky and greedy... we won... thats the best and only thing

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Let's look at the offense. Nice hole for JJ (yellow) --good blocks by Feeney and Scho...Pouncey falls down. Great vision by JJ:

image.png

Here's Ekkie--huge hole by our line here:

image.png
        Let's look at pass pro. Pretty good pocket on a completion to KA:

image.png

On this play, pass pro not so good. Scott's getting beat here, but it was Feeney's man that sacked Rivers. (Feeney ended up on outside while Tevi is all alone)

image.png

And, this time, it's Scott who gets beat for the sack:

image.png

I think we better try Lamp at LT...seriously...

Last edited by Topcat; 09-08-2019, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
          Losing the turnover battle 0-2 and those turnovers being a muff punt and endzone int, usually is enough for any team to lose a game.

Chargers won't get away with that very often.
          But it is a good sign that with back ups playing at various positions they still found a way to win, and until those turnovers, they basically controlled the game.
          Similar feel to the first Denver game last year. We were in control for most of it until sloppy turnovers. Glad the outcome is different this time.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Davis is a vet, but has very few reps in the D. Hopefully he will get faster. It takes vets a while to kick off the rust every year, which is why there is a PS, and why Davis probably should have played. If he was back in the old Carolina D, then he could have skipped it and it makes no difference. But he needed some more work in Preseason. At this point, I am not sure where he fits even if he can get up to speed, other than another body. We kept a lot of LB and so many of them are Will types.

Colts passes were being thrown into some very tight windows. I don' t think the pass D was as much bad as the Colts passing O was just sharp.

The Rivers int wasn't a bad read if he had gotten the ball out on time. He was late and the window had closed, so he should have thrown it away or gone to another receiver.

Watt had a pretty good game blocking and running. Key blocks on several of the longer runs.

You DT need to square up and stop trying to get skinny to penetrate the line. Both TIllery and Jones kept trying to penetrate into the backfield on the cheap and not control their gaps and it showed.

If Perryman doesn't come back soon, we might have to consider using Ingram and Tranquill at MIke and White at Will. But, just like the NE game, the DT have to do their job of keep the LB clean so they can run to the ball. If we give the OL a clean realease on the LB, then we are going to have more days with run D like today.

Tackling has to get better too.

Comment

• Midwestbolt
              • Feb 2019
              • Midwest
              • Local 150 operating engineer.
              • Send PM

Great posts. A couple mistakes on offense and defense having some issues, but still grind out a win in OT. Better than a loss any day.

In retrospect it was nice to see the O March down the field and just win the game in OT.

OTOH, Disappointed the defense couldn't get it done in regulation. I hope part of the problem was the Colts are very strong up front offensively.

A little worried about the chargers oline too. Too many sacks, and a couple untimely holding calls, if I recall correctly. Could have put this Colts team away in regulation.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Midwestbolt View Post
                Great posts. A couple mistakes on offense and defense having some issues, but still grind out a win in OT. Better than a loss any day.

In retrospect it was nice to see the O March down the field and just win the game in OT.

OTOH, Disappointed the defense couldn't get it done in regulation. I hope part of the problem was the Colts are very strong up front offensively.

A little worried about the chargers oline too. Too many sacks, and a couple untimely holding calls, if I recall correctly. Could have put this Colts team away in regulation.
                Colts O line is top 1-2 in the NFL. They are good. Of course our D line are no slouches either.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Lynn. In years past this would've been a Bolt loss. Very glad we have a legit HC.

Comment

• Boltx
                    Dominate the day
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Happy for the win, but Vinatieri spotted us 7 points and it seems like it's in the Chargers organizational DNA to always have poor lines and suspect coordinator action.

Long season and a lot can change, but I don't see anyone catching NE or KC. Cant wait until James is back.

nice analyses, Topcat. Always fun to read.
                    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• BoltBacker
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Las Vegas, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                      Happy for the win, but Vinatieri spotted us 7 points and it seems like it's in the Chargers organizational DNA to always have poor lines and suspect coordinator action.

Long season and a lot can change, but I don't see anyone catching NE or KC. Cant wait until James is back.

nice analyses, Topcat. Always fun to read.
                      PR said no thanks to Vinatieri and gave the 7 right back with the gift interception at the point where the game should have been about over.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

It was only a few weeks ago when people were raving how Davis was running stride for stride with Krupp in the Rams joint practice so I don't think he is suddenly old. He just played a half step slow and I would predict as he gets comfortable with the players around him he'll look better.

Comment

• Xenos
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Davis is a vet, but has very few reps in the D. Hopefully he will get faster. It takes vets a while to kick off the rust every year, which is why there is a PS, and why Davis probably should have played. If he was back in the old Carolina D, then he could have skipped it and it makes no difference. But he needed some more work in Preseason. At this point, I am not sure where he fits even if he can get up to speed, other than another body. We kept a lot of LB and so many of them are Will types.

Colts passes were being thrown into some very tight windows. I don' t think the pass D was as much bad as the Colts passing O was just sharp.

The Rivers int wasn't a bad read if he had gotten the ball out on time. He was late and the window had closed, so he should have thrown it away or gone to another receiver.

Watt had a pretty good game blocking and running. Key blocks on several of the longer runs.

You DT need to square up and stop trying to get skinny to penetrate the line. Both TIllery and Jones kept trying to penetrate into the backfield on the cheap and not control their gaps and it showed.

If Perryman doesn't come back soon, we might have to consider using Ingram and Tranquill at MIke and White at Will. But, just like the NE game, the DT have to do their job of keep the LB clean so they can run to the ball. If we give the OL a clean realease on the LB, then we are going to have more days with run D like today.

Tackling has to get better too.
                          Yeah, I was confused why they were trying to penetrate so much. I thought that Bradley's scheme was based more on gap control and letting others get the pressure or stop the run?

Comment

Working...
                          X