Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Originally posted by RedRamage View Post
    Howdy, Lions fan visiting...

Just wanted to say that I find it refreshing to read a lot of comments here. There are similar sorts of things we're often saying about our Lions... the mental mistakes, the stupid errors that give away a game. It's nice to know that we're not the only ones who are down on our team about the dumb.

It was a ugly win, but I'll take the win. I never apologize for winning the NFL, it's not often pretty... especially in Detroit... but a win is a win.

This wasn't brought up here at all... probably it was discussed in the Game Day Thread... but what were your thoughts on the "flag" thrown on the one Stafford scramble? As soon as the flags went out I wasn't happy and I've VERY glad that they picked them up. I get that the league is all about protecting the QB, but that was a clean hit. Stafford was NOT sliding. He was kinda stumbling towards a slide, but he wasn't there yet and no reason for the defenders to pull up.

Too often the league wants the defenders to not only be able to read the mind of the QB to know what he's going to do in the next 1.5 seconds so they can avoid any hit, but also change direction in mid-air to prevent any collisions. I was happy to see this NOT called a foul.
    Tough loss for sure. Congrats on the win. Just too many mistakes on our part. We dont win games when we miss FGs. Its been our nemesis over the past few years. That holding call on Allen will get a lot of steam towards refs this week.

Good luck the rest of the way and we wish you the best of luck.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Late to the observations, i had a few
      - Defense got a bit better than last week. TD made some bad plays but he also made a few good ones. CB is not a strength but managed. No real pressure most of the game. But 13 pts, as noted - is 13 pts. You gotta win games when you only give up 13
      - Loved the play Joey chased down Stafford and crushed him before he could get out of bounds. Ha!
      - those two negated TD runs were horrendous phantom calls. Nothing to call on either of those. To call two back to back was BS.
      - Eke's fumble was crushing. Game over with that score.
      - Phil was not his usual self (besides the last play). He missed many passes by 1 yard all thru the game
      - Protection wasnt really that bad for a lot of the game. Seemed to get better
      - Phil's last pass was horrible. double coverage, nothing there - with a wide open receiver coming across the middle all alone around the 5 or 10 yard line. Think it was ... MW? He missed the right read there completely.

That said - i felt we outplayed DET, hope is not lost. Almost every team has one of these in a season, we had it week 2 so it feels significant. We wont know if it really is for a month or more. I'm confident we win next Sunday
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

For all of the whining, hand wringing and the crying that the season has ended with this loss going on, I'll point out one thing: The Lions beat the Patriots in Detroit last year 26-10 to drop New England to 1-2. It's not the end of the world. How we respond is what determines our season.

Comment

• RedRamage
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

It this would have been Tom Brady, do you think the penalty actually gets enforced?
          Ummmm.... well... maybe?? I certainly hope not, but yeah... the super stars get super star treatment so it's certainly plausible that Brady gets the penalty.

Comment

• Silversurfer
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Los Angeles
            • Send PM

I could have sworn M. Williams was open when Rivers chucked up that INT to Allen. Could be wrong but at least M. Williams might have more of a chance to snag it.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
              I could have sworn M. Williams was open when Rivers chucked up that INT to Allen. Could be wrong but at least M. Williams might have more of a chance to snag it.
              Let's put it this way--even if the Lion safety would have made a play on Mike Will, if the ball was thrown up high, I think Mike Will has a LOT better chance of high-pointing it than KA...

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                For all of the whining, hand wringing and the crying that the season has ended with this loss going on, I'll point out one thing: The Lions beat the Patriots in Detroit last year 26-10 to drop New England to 1-2. It's not the end of the world. How we respond is what determines our season.
                you'll go insane comparing us or any team to NE. It can't be done

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

you'll go insane comparing us or any team to NE. It can't be done
                  I am certainly not comparing the Chargers and the Pats, just that even the best team of the past couple of decades lays an egg occasionally.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Here is the full team statistics from the cubs horrible loss. We dominated almost all. Yards per pass play and the killer turnovers (ours were worse as being scoring opportunities) being an outlier.
                    Our O left so many points on the field. Time to adapt, focus in, and overcome injuries and a poor on field performance.
                    We should have won that game by a minimum of 10 points.

1st Downs 21 19
                    Passing 1st downs 13 12
                    Rushing 1st downs 6 6
                    1st downs from penalties 2 1
                    3rd down efficiency 6-13 4-10
                    4th down efficiency 0-0 1-1
                    Total Plays 62 58
                    Total Yards 424 339
                    Total Drives 10 10
                    Yards per Play 6.8 5.8
                    Passing 287 245
                    Comp-Att 21-36 22-30
                    Yards per pass 7.8 8.2
                    Interceptions thrown 1 2
                    Sacks-Yards Lost 1-6 0-0
                    Rushing 137 94
                    Rushing Attempts 25 28
                    Yards per rush 5.5 3.4
                    Red Zone (Made-Att) 1-3 0-0
                    Penalties 9-70 8-71
                    Turnovers 2 2
                    Fumbles lost 1 0
                    Interceptions thrown 1 2
                    Defensive / Special Teams TDs 0 0
                    Possession 31:19 28:41
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• UglyTruth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      And the Lions played into a tie with the worst team in football from last season in the very game before they played the Chargers.
                      Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                      - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                      - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                      - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                      - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• RedRamage
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                        Here is the full team statistics from the cubs horrible loss. We dominated almost all. Yards per pass play and the killer turnovers (ours were worse as being scoring opportunities) being an outlier.
                        Our O left so many points on the field. Time to adapt, focus in, and overcome injuries and a poor on field performance.
                        We should have won that game by a minimum of 10 points.
                        I'm not sure I agree that the Bolts "dominated" almost all. In fact to me most of that stats lines are quite similar.

The only stand outs that I see are total yards, and of course then yards per play.

But 1st downs, turnovers, drives, plays, comp%, penalties, even ToP are all pretty even.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

WHAT A SEQUENCE

I just rewatched carefully the infamous minutes in the third quarter,
                          where a bunch of crazy things occurred,
                          and the Chargers failed to seal the victory.

@11:33...Ekeler took short pass from Rivers in the flat, running for 26 yards.
                          He would have scored on this play, if Austin had just waited a little for a downfield block by Schofield.

@10:40...JJ took it to the house,
                          except that holding was called on Inman.
                          Inman barely grabbed the jersey of the DB.
                          Astonishingly, the Side Judge who called holding
                          was guessing. He was completely blocked out of
                          seeing anything going on on the back side of the defender's jersey.

@9:48...TD Ek. Holding Tevi. knick-knack, ticky-tack throw me a bone here.

@8:32...DPI Darius Slay vs Slayer in the end zone.
                          Prevented a TD.

@8:29....Ek fumble instead of a TD.

During this sequence there were 5 plays where we cudda shudda scored a TD.
                          And it all started on the other end of the field,
                          with a great pick by Hayward in the end zone on a play involving OPI.

This is completely crazy, but it gets crazier.

Following Ek's goal line turnover, it was three and out for DET.

@6:35...Bosa and company stuffed the DET ball carrier for no gain...punt it !

@6:35 to 6:26 the following sequence took place on one play...the punt...
                          Miles Killebrew blatantly held Tranquill in the end zone, preventing a blocked kick.
                          This was a no doubter. Safety !!
                          It would have been two blocked kicks
                          in two weeks for both Tranquill and DET !!
                          It would have also sealed the game for LAC.

Meanwhile, downfield, after the punt,
                          the most ticky-tack holding call of them all was called on Dzubnar,
                          during Des KIng's return. Nothing even resembling holding took place here,
                          and the officials got a good look.
                          By the way it was also very incidental--King was already clearly past Dzubnar.
                          Unfreakin' believable.
                          LAC would have been up 17-6, or 12-6 with possession at midfield after the Safety.

BTW, according to my understanding of the rules
                          regarding offsetting penalties,
                          the holding in the end zone/Safety would be enforced,
                          and the phantom Dzubnar holding call
                          would have resulted in the flag being picked up.

The problem with this sequence alone,
                          is that it shows such utter incompetence
                          from this entire officiating crew.

The ref's name is Craig Wrolstad.
                          Remember that name.
                          The rest of the crew,
                          I don't care what your name is.

Al Riveron,
                          line them up.
                          bend them over,
                          one at a time,
                          and rip them each a new one.