Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

I'm not sure about the Raiders, but right now they look better than us. The Broncos started off very slow but they have a really good defense that can keep them in games. Chiefs are suffering from poor oline play and a hobbled Mahomes on offense. Their defense has to be the worst in our division by far. They suck at assignments, tackling, the whole 9 yards. So I wouldn't say the AFC West looks strong, but we certainly do look like the worst of this division even with the problems the other teams have.
    I agree that the Chargers have looked like the worst team in the division so far this season. The Raiders look at least average, which is better then what the Chargers have been.
    I'm just hoping that the Chargers can affect the same type of turnaround they did in 2009. It's all we got right now. Hope.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

The AFCW is a weak division in 2019.
        They are 2-4 against NFCN.
        The NFCW is 8-1 against AFCN.

Comment

• DontEverGiveUp
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

Saw a snippet scroll across the bottom of the screen on ESPN: "Melvin Gordon demands more touches"

Dude is looking more and more like a cancer. Doesn't help that we have been rushing for 2 yards per carry since he graciously ended his hold-out.

If I were Lynn, I'd replace Gordon with JJ as soon as he's healthy.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by DontEverGiveUp View Post
            Saw a snippet scroll across the bottom of the screen on ESPN: "Melvin Gordon demands more touches"

Dude is looking more and more like a cancer. Doesn't help that we have been rushing for 2 yards per carry since he graciously ended his hold-out.

If I were Lynn, I'd replace Gordon with JJ as soon as he's healthy.
            Demanded is a REALLY big stretch from what he actually said:

Melvin Gordon's solution to his slow start? More touches

Eric D. Williams ESPN Staff Writer

COSTA MESA, Calif. -- Los Angeles Chargers running back Melvin Gordon has a simple solution to fix his slow start since returning to the field after an unsuccessful, two-month holdout.

More reps.

Gordon has totaled just 49 rushing yards on 20 attempts in his first two games of the 2019 season, averaging a paltry 2.45 yards per carry. It's the worst two-game rushing stretch of Gordon's five-year

Gordon finished with eight rushes for 18 yards in a 24-17 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers this past Sunday.

"There's no rhythm you can get into with eight carries, I don't care what running back you are," Gordon said. "I get stronger down the line.

"With the more carries you get, you run that play and you're like, 'Okay, this is how they are playing it.' So when you run that play again, I know how I'm going to treat it. But when you get eight carries, you've seen the same play for the first time every time. There's no feel to it, and you never get a feel for the game."

Gordon has started the two games he's played in, both Chargers losses. Part of the reason for Gordon's tough start is that the Chargers have fallen behind in both games, abandoning the run in order to throw the football and get back into the game. The Chargers have been outscored 38-0 in the first half of the last two games.

Head coach Anthony Lynn said that the plan is to keep Gordon involved in the offense, even though the Chargers are averaging just 33.5 rushing yards a contest with Gordon in the lineup. "I don't think it has anything to do with Melvin Gordon," Lynn said. "We've got to open up more running lanes."

A bright spot for Gordon and the Chargers is they face the Tennessee Titans. The last time Gordon played against them, he totaled a career-high 196 rushing yards on 32 carries and a touchdown in a 43-35 win over Tennessee on Nov. 6, 2016.

Gordon also would like to get some touches in the fourth quarter. Last season, he averaged a career-high 6.7 yards per carry in the fourth quarter.

So far this season, Gordon does not have a fourth-quarter carry.

"It's about us winning at that point, and doing what we've got to do to win," Gordon said. "Obviously, we've got to do what we've got to do to stop the clock from running. When you run the ball, the clock runs. It sucks as a back because you know early you get taken out of the game. I have to make a play just in the passing game, it's just kind of how it's been."

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Reps are earned MG
              and not by sitting on your ass through a quarter of the season.
              Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Gordon is trying to increase his reps HOPING he can perform better so he can get a bigger contract next year. Dream on.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

It's all about Rivers.
                  He has to protect the rock and move the chains, he has to protect the rock & get to the next down if defense defeats the play, and he has to protect the rock. There will he opportunities to make plays and score. If he turns it over 2 times, it will swing the game. Chargers defense will need to get 3 turnovers back to win the battle.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Go Bolts.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                      Superbowl?
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Los Angeles/Chicago
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                      The AFCW is a weak division in 2019.
                      They are 2-4 against NFCN.
                      The NFCW is 8-1 against AFCN.
                      A lot of beef missing with no Mebane, Jones, Ingram all missing up front on the D, hopefully get at least one back to stop the run.

NFCW should be 9-0 due to the Chiefs got super lucky with a 99 yard fumble return td, they could be 3-3 right now due to that dumb luck ... actually 8-1 with the Chiefs should of lost vs. the Lions and the Chargers should of won vs. the Lions due to bad refs

Comment

• WindsorUK
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Windsor, U.K.
                        • Send PM

Has Cortez Broughton even been active for any games yet this year? I'm not saying he'll make a difference but we won't know until we try? Mebane is WAY past his sell by date and Square is WAY out of his league lining up inside.
                        I want to see more of Jones, Tillery, and Broughton for the rest of the season, just to see what we have. Hell, couldn't be any worse than what we've seen so far.
                        I'd also prefer to see less of Perryman in the middle. We need someone there that can go forward as well as backward. Denzel just seems to get engulfed too often( probably because our tackles are getting pushed back!)
                        Our D needs an overhaul, yet Bradley hasn't lifted a finger to make things better.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                          Has Cortez Broughton even been active for any games yet this year? I'm not saying he'll make a difference but we won't know until we try? Mebane is WAY past his sell by date and Square is WAY out of his league lining up inside.
                          I want to see more of Jones, Tillery, and Broughton for the rest of the season, just to see what we have. Hell, couldn't be any worse than what we've seen so far.
                          I'd also prefer to see less of Perryman in the middle. We need someone there that can go forward as well as backward. Denzel just seems to get engulfed too often( probably because our tackles are getting pushed back!)
                          Our D needs an overhaul, yet Bradley hasn't lifted a finger to make things better.
                          Broughton was only active in the Miami game and played 3 snaps.

Comment

Working...
                          X