• FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

He did get credit.
    The Basic Passer rating was 88.5 to 88.0

Rivers does like to throw bombs. But he also tossed a lot of short passes to ekeler.

What I am saying is it is a wierd stat. 1 less touchdown 12 more ints. but .5 better passer rating than more TDs and less INts.

The important thing is to Score and not turn the ball over.
    Completion percentage and yards can be very empty stats if it does not lead to Scores and Wins.

QBR is looking at overall play. Not just rating a stat.

Rivers was not a better player than Brady last year or any year ....except maybe 2009 when Philip carried the team and played like an MVP.

Rivers did average over 1 yard more per attempt than Brady. The NFL QB rating that stat carries a lot of weight as well as completion percentage.

1.2 yards per attempt is a decent amount.

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree as well but you said the important thing is to score while comparing Brady and Rivers stats and he got us down to score only to have Ekeler fumble twice at the GL and Gordon once.

Had we scored in those situations, maybe he has a few less INTs and wins with a lead instead of trying to make something happen.
      Maybe this maybe that...

Rivers has 3 rush TD's in his entire career.
      Brady had 3 rush TDs this season.
      Why is it Brees and Brady pocket passers can do QB sneaks and rush for TDs but Rivers is all arm. Dont you think that might impact the game? If Rivers could do what Brady and Brees do with their legs on the goaline. They have score 20 more TDs with their legs than Rivers. Dont give me coaching or oline excuses. They are simply better with ther feet than Rivers and it impact the game.

I can appreciate Rivers and what he can do but also criticise what he doesn't do well. Ive always wanted him to be a little more careful with some throws and always wanted him to take off and run for a few yards and slide. These were the things I've critcised him for. I have thought if Rivers can keep his INTs under 12 per season and if he could get a rush TD per season that would change 8-8 or 9-7 seasons that are just short of postseaaon into 10 or 11 win season and playoffs.

And it always seem like the simplest way to do it.
      Every other idea was ...change all the coaches or adjust the roster or scheme or keep adding to o line (which can and did get injured) I have always thought, Rivers is the franchise QB why can't he ever do a fkn QB sneak for a TD. Why can't he run and slide, he has feet doesn't he?

Additionally I dont think Rivers has ever been as good with his poise, he can get a little frantic or spastic in certain moments and I don't see Brady and Brees losing their poise as often as it seems Rivers does.

So my conclusion is Rivers is a great QB but not quite as good as Brees or Brady. Others think he is as good or better. But the coaches and rosters of the other teams are better. Which is why I would love Brady to go to Chargers and Rivers to go to Patriots.
      I want to see how they do if switched. It could possibly settle some things fans argue about.
      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

If Brady becomes a Bolt, does he get to bring his helmet speaker, his favorite ball, and his camera with him?

Comment

• Originally posted by captaind View Post

Brady wins when it matters. So did Stan.

Competitive is not synonymous with winning.
          Teams win and lose. Being on a winning or losing team by itself has nothing to do with how good an individual player is. The goodness of a player is measured by the player's stats.

I like Stan Humphries, but he couldn't carry Fouts' or Rivers' jockstrap.

And my comment about competitiveness was made in direct response to another poster whose post suggested that Rivers did not maintain competitive intensity, which is ridiculous because Rivers is one of the most competitively intense players in a league full of such players.

Comment

• Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Rivers did average over 1 yard more per attempt than Brady. The NFL QB rating that stat carries a lot of weight as well as completion percentage.

1.2 yards per attempt is a decent amount.
            It is pretty amazing that a poster is trying to dismiss as not meaningful the fact that Rivers threw for nearly 600 yards more than Brady on 22 fewer pass attempts. Rivers finished 11th in YPA and Brady finished 27th. Rivers completed 5.2% more of his passes, a huge completion percentage advantage (Rivers finished 10th and Brady finished 27th in that category), despite throwing more difficult passes. The poster also missed that even though Brady edged Rivers in total TD passes, since Brady had more attempts than Rivers, Brady actually threw TD passes at a lower rate than Rivers.

Since Rivers wiped out Brady in two of the 4 categories and beat him in a third, Rivers had the higher QB rating despite losing the 4th category, INTs.

Comment

• captaind
              Cook This Pork Chops
              • Jun 2013
              • Mars
              • Ball Holder
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Teams win and lose. Being on a winning or losing team by itself has nothing to do with how good an individual player is. The goodness of a player is measured by the player's stats.

And yet he made it further than both of them. You act as if it’s irrelevant.

Are you actually stating that winning a Super Bowl doesn’t weigh into the measurement of a player? Maybe no one told you, but this game is measured in wins and losses. Sucks sometimes, but that’s the way it is.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Mahomes 27 yard run at the end of the half was a great play made by a great player that lifted the chiefs team and lead to a super bowl berth.

in the stats it was a 27 yard run. I. The stadium and sidelines it was much more. To win in big games you have to believe you can do it and the chiefs believed 1000% from that moment on.

stats don’t tell the whole story. Sometimes it’s about the timeliness and greatness of a play

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

And my comment about competitiveness was made in direct response to another poster whose post suggested that Rivers did not maintain competitive intensity, which is ridiculous because Rivers is one of the most competitively intense players in a league full of such players.
                  But Humphries did make a 50 yard throw and hit Tony Martin in stride to get us to our one and only super bowl. Something neither Fouts nor rivers ever did. You have to be great in the biggest moment

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

It is pretty amazing that a poster is trying to dismiss as not meaningful the fact that Rivers threw for nearly 600 yards more than Brady on 22 fewer pass attempts. Rivers finished 11th in YPA and Brady finished 27th. Rivers completed 5.2% more of his passes, a huge completion percentage advantage (Rivers finished 10th and Brady finished 27th in that category), despite throwing more difficult passes. The poster also missed that even though Brady edged Rivers in total TD passes, since Brady had more attempts than Rivers, Brady actually threw TD passes at a lower rate than Rivers.

Since Rivers wiped out Brady in two of the 4 categories and beat him in a third, Rivers had the higher QB rating despite losing the 4th category, INTs.
                    No AFC West title in 11 seasons.
                    And im watching him literally falling flat on his face after a game ending interception vs KC.
                    It is what it is.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Charge!
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                      Mahomes 27 yard run at the end of the half was a great play made by a great player that lifted the chiefs team and lead to a super bowl berth.

in the stats it was a 27 yard run. I. The stadium and sidelines it was much more. To win in big games you have to believe you can do it and the chiefs believed 1000% from that moment on.

stats don’t tell the whole story. Sometimes it’s about the timeliness and greatness of a play
                      that mahomes TD run was part his speed and ability and the fact that defense let up to avoid penalty thinking he was running out of bounds..... defense could have knocked him into tomorrow but let up instead....???

Comment

• FoutsFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Birmingham AL
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

But Humphries did make a 50 yard throw and hit Tony Martin in stride to get us to our one and only super bowl. Something neither Fouts nor rivers ever did. You have to be great in the biggest moment
                        That was Humphries greatness. He could look like crap all game but make the plays when it mattered most. There is something definitely to say for that. He was one of my favorite Chargers. I still have my Humphries jersey from way back when.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

that mahomes TD run was part his speed and ability and the fact that defense let up to avoid penalty thinking he was running out of bounds..... defense could have knocked him into tomorrow but let up instead....???
                          Maybe they should have risked the penalty to crush him. I know I would have berated my D in a game like that to play that passively.

Comment

Working...
                          X