How did he do today TPB analysts?

Comment

• chris9341
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by assman3000 View Post
      How did he do today TPB analysts?
      He did what he needed to do. One game doesn't prove anything. But he got off on the right foot. Most importantly we got our running game going again today. Honestly I was more impressed with our defense then evn Gordon having a decent game.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

He did what he needed to do. One game doesn't prove anything. But he got off on the right foot. Most importantly we got our running game going again today. Honestly I was more impressed with our defense then evn Gordon having a decent game.
        I don’t know that we did that much differently aside from playing better. The pass to Williams when they were expecting a run was a nice call.

Comment

• assman3000
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

I agree. D showed up. MG is looking to be himself again within a couple more games..

I feel like Rivers is more excited now though...

Comment

• marconi
            Air Apparent
            • Mar 2019
            • Adventure Land
            • Help people live their dreams
            • Send PM

All I know is that the Chargers have been snakebit all season and it looks like today the curse has finally been lifted! (With the exception that Spamos still owns the team) This is the team I think we all expected to see on both offense and defense. Kudos to both, and if this what we can expect from here on out then I hope that Steichen is our OC for years to come.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I don’t know that we did that much differently aside from playing better. The pass to Williams when they were expecting a run was a nice call.
              They were quicker getting the play in and seemed much crisper. No delay of game penalties, no Rivers clapping furiously at the line to get the play off and some rhythm.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

In a couple of weeks, teams will start to have an idea about Steichen's tendencies. Then will have an idea of how to defend him.

As far as being "aggressive" I have no idea what that means. I hear a lot of people say NE is an aggressive D, yet their scheme is the most boring bend but don't break, play solid fundamentals and just play the situations D there is. It is not an aggressive scheme, yet people keep calling it that. Plus, every coach says they want an aggressive attacking.......... we've all heard it before, yet when it comes time to play the games, you have no idea.

Today we looked aggressive because we were able to execute at a higher level than GB did. We did it across the board. We just out played them, which when you come down to it is what people "really" mean by being aggressive.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  Im not on the McDaniels train...but he did have to work with Orton and Tebow. Shocked he wasnt more successful with those 2.

And all joking aside id like to think after 10 more years in the league around good coaching....coaches can evolve. Like players do.

I still think the future for us after Rivers will be some sort of version of a mobile QB. A pass first type that can run and make plays. Run the spread and RPOs. Its just mirroring college and trends like this are often set there. Many used to tell me the bellcow runner was done. I stated that Gurley and Gordon would change that. Then you had Zeke and Barkley. McCaffrey. We see more full time RBs in college than ever and i think the trend will still carry over to the pros with high attempt RBs and QBs that can make plays on the run.

And with that it makes sense to have a coach that is offensive minded like that. Thats why i wanted Shannahan so bad. I just like how he utilizes his run game and uses his QB to manage things. If Jimmy could run more im sure that offense would be even better. They dont have much at WR. They play suffocating D....run the ball with multiple backs and use their TEs and intermediate passing game. Tons of misdirection and movement. Down the road i think a guy like Eric Bienemy will get some looks at HC. Hes pretty innovative and has picked up quite a bit from Reid.

They are 2nd in the league in time of possession. Obviously the D helps with that. But they are also averaging 181 yards rushing a game. 2nd in the league. This would have been best for Rivers imo. This type of offense.

While i think steichen will want to air it out....that will be a game flow thing and our D willl likely force us to have to do that. But its possible with his background that we may see a lot more use of our TEs and RBs. And i think thats best for Rivers. It allows him to be more efficient while throwing less. And we can eat clock. In theory at least. The OL makes it hard to do these things.

But the bottom line is that what we are seeing in SF is exactly what i wanted when we hired Lynn. We are a couple trench guys away from having the pieces. A dominating OG and OT would help. Continue to build the DL. Not worry about skill guys right now. Control the lines....control the game.
                  Philip Rivers' offense won the time of possession battle 36-24

This might have been the best game plan ive seen from us in some time. Other than the Ravens PO game last year.

Comment

• Chargerville
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2013
                    • Send PM

The offense chewed up the clock much like they did back in 2013

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

It was the rhythm of plays. It was the closest to Philip Rivers running the Chiefs' offense I've ever seen. Everything was predicated on getting the ball out of Philip's hands and into the playmakers hands, all at a faster tempo.

It was terrific. Now, can he devise another gameplan and break tendencies, while executing at a high level? I can't wait to find out. Go Chargers.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Windsor, U.K.
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                        It was the rhythm of plays. It was the closest to Philip Rivers running the Chiefs' offense I've ever seen. Everything was predicated on getting the ball out of Philip's hands and into the playmakers hands, all at a faster tempo.

It was terrific. Now, can he devise another gameplan and break tendencies, while executing at a high level? I can't wait to find out. Go Chargers.
                        I think everyone on this board can agree with this.
                        For some reason, whether it was AL, Whiz, or even PR himself, it just never happened.
                        Maybe Lynn said ' Enough is enough' and told Shane what he wanted and told PR to run the plays sent in from the sideline, instead of changing every play at the LOS.
                        Whatever the reason, it makes sense and it works. Let's hope they stick with it.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

So we are supposed to ignore Rivers
                          when he says he himself has to play better ?

Blame it on playcalling ? Really ?

And there is talk that this was Marty Ball.

OK. Precept #1. Take care of the football.

Hmmm. Sometimes it is not that complicated.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X