That Was Ugly. Seriously, Where Do We Go From Here?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

This offseason, the future begins. Thanks for all the gunslingin’, Phil.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Okung. Tevi. Pouncey. Lamp.
      4/5ths of the starting Oline out.

Tyrod does have issues with accuracy.
      Herbert will fall to us.

Drafting all Oline thereafter is a foolish move. Rivers may just retire now.

Let the dust settle.
      We are dealing with the sting of this loss right now.
      Last edited by wu-dai clan; 11-19-2019, 02:22 AM.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• BlackMamba
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Herbert will fall to us.

Drafting all Oline thereafter is a foolish move.
        I'd go the free agency route to seek another starting caliber player or two for the O-line, and use the draft to build depth/competition. Shouldn't we have cap space to do that, if Rivers walks?

Okung and Pouncey are getting up there in age, and have now suffered serious injuries which effectively put them at higher risk of having their careers ended at any time. The jury is still out on Lamp, but he's likely not the elite guy we originally thought he could be. And Tevi...lol. So yes, we have injuries, but we're probably not in significantly better shape along the O-line even if fully healthy.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BlackMamba View Post

I'd go the free agency route to seek another starting caliber player or two for the O-line, and use the draft to build depth/competition. Shouldn't we have cap space to do that, if Rivers walks?

Okung and Pouncey are getting up there in age, and have now suffered serious injuries which effectively put them at higher risk of having their careers ended at any time. The jury is still out on Lamp, but he's likely not the elite guy we originally thought he could be. And Tevi...lol. So yes, we have injuries, but we're probably not in significantly better shape along the O-line even if fully healthy.
          Drafting Oline heavy
          while moving into the new stadium
          with low PSL sales...

Draft one quality Olineman is my take.

Lots of WRs/RBs in this draft.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Despite my vote, the answer is obvious - gotta keep starting Rivers. Need to log L’s till season end to reduce the amount of trade up needed to get a new QB. Rivers is the guy to do that, TT might fuck it up and win a few.

LAC would be in first place if not for the many games Rivers lost this year. What has he lost - 4 games personally? He’s gone from Mr December to the most unclutch QB in the league. last final pass encapsulates all that is wrong with his game now. Just like that spasmodic last series vs OAK, he just puckered like a sour lemon and farted the game away. That pass had zero chance, he threw it right to the DB who was just there the entire time. No sneaky move, no stealth appearance - he was just there step for step and Rivers lobbed a short weak spaz pass right to him.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Drafting Oline heavy
              while moving into the new stadium
              with low PSL sales...

Draft one quality Olineman is my take.

Lots of WRs/RBs in this draft.
              I would like a QB in round 1, OT in round 2, and another OT or OG in round 3-4. Sign a solid FA OT. But, we'll have to see how the board goes....

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I would like a QB in round 1, OT in round 2, and another OT or OG in round 3-4. Sign a solid FA OT. But, we'll have to see how the board goes....
                None of the round two and beyond OTs in this draft are sufficient at pass pro,
                or more relevantly,
                any better than Scott, Pipkens or Tevi.

Furthermore, unlike most others here,
                I project Okung to be here for a couple more years,
                or in other words,
                up until Pipkins is ready to take over for full time duty at OLT.

IOW, do not waste prime draft capital on
                trench madness...invest wisely everywhere...BPA @ PON !!

And another thing, Josina recently had an eye opening quote from LAC, re our non-interest in Kaepernick.
                Unlike a couple of years ago, the Chargers are now set w/PR, Tyrod & Stick.

Lots of time.
                Lots to marinate on.

2013. Chargers went from 5-7 to matching Peyton's Broncos into the 4th quarter AFCDG.

Ah yes, I remember it well...compulsive, punitive OGDT Starter duties...you see, I disrespected Shammies puppy...it's a long story.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

cat, would you take a chance on Trey Adams @ ~ 45 (rd2) or @ ~ 76 (rd3) ?

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

cat, would you take a chance on Trey Adams @ ~ 45 (rd2) or @ ~ 76 (rd3) ?
                    No doubting Adams's talent, and pretty good shuffle for a big man, but I HATE the idea of drafting frequently damaged goods...been burned in that dept. too many times...if he's there in round 3...maybe...if he's still there in round 4...more likely...

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

None of the round two and beyond OTs in this draft are sufficient at pass pro,
                      or more relevantly,
                      any better than Scott, Pipkens or Tevi.

Furthermore, unlike most others here,
                      I project Okung to be here for a couple more years,
                      or in other words,
                      up until Pipkins is ready to take over for full time duty at OLT.

IOW, do not waste prime draft capital on
                      trench madness...invest wisely everywhere...BPA @ PON !!

And another thing, Josina recently had an eye opening quote from LAC, re our non-interest in Kaepernick.
                      Unlike a couple of years ago, the Chargers are now set w/PR, Tyrod & Stick.

Lots of time.
                      Lots to marinate on.

2013. Chargers went from 5-7 to matching Peyton's Broncos into the 4th quarter AFCDG.

Ah yes, I remember it well...compulsive, punitive OGDT Starter duties...you see, I disrespected Shammies puppy...it's a long story.
                      Wood, there was one big difference between that 2013 team and our current team: the O line. That 2013 team had Hardwick at C, King Dunlap at LT and Fluker, in his rookie year when he was actually fairly decent, at RT.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                        The Precious
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Hate to see it end like this for Phil and anybody that thinks replacing him will be easy is nuts. We’ve had some pretty deep QB droughts and with this oline does it matter who is back there? This season is a wash and it’s going to be a long painful offseason.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Tyrod does have issues with accuracy.
                          Herbert will fall to us.

Drafting all Oline thereafter is a foolish move. Rivers may just retire now.

Let the dust settle.
                          We are dealing with the sting of this loss right now.
                          Maybe 3/5 Tevi is not to be counted on and Pouncey and Lamp will be returning from season ending injuries still not a lot of confident going forward in 2020 with the oline, maybe Pipkins can make the jump in 2020 he is gaining experience in his rookie year something Lamp didn't do, but we have to see.

Yes Drafting all Oline is not even thinkable, I am not sure in what order, but we need OT, QB, WR with speed and hands, and CB, and we need to make at least one splash signing in FA.

Even if the line is built up in 2020 how much does Rivers have left besides some of the bad decision making I am concern about him not having the arm strength that style of throwing I think has caught up to him over the years it isn't a natural throwing motion.

Comment

Working...
                          X