That Was Ugly. Seriously, Where Do We Go From Here?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wood, there was one big difference between that 2013 team and our current team: the O line. That 2013 team had Hardwick at C, King Dunlap at LT and Fluker, in his rookie year when he was actually fairly decent, at RT.
    Yes. Yes. It only took one man down, a journeyman at that, to cost us our chance at the AFCCG. When Clary's shoulder gave out, our Oline failed.

The Oline is a unit.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

For team Spanos, this season is playing out in a nightmare scenario for them. When they desperately need some hype and momentum moving into the new stadium to drum up interest and ticket sales, the team is tanking badly and killing off what little interest there may have been. But a lot of people will claim karma....and us fan suffer from it.

The absolutely, very first thing I would do is fire the entire training and strength coaching staffs. Injuries like broken bones and ACLs are a part of a violent game and Okungs was something nobody could have forseen, but the non-stop soft tissue injuries we are having seems way too high. How many calf, hamstring, quad and groin pulls have we had?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

Maybe 3/5 Tevi is not to be counted on and Pouncey and Lamp will be returning from season ending injuries still not a lot of confident going forward in 2020 with the oline, maybe Pipkins can make the jump in 2020 he is gaining experience in his rookie year something Lamp didn't do, but we have to see.

Yes Drafting all Oline is not even thinkable, I am not sure in what order, but we need OT, QB, WR with speed and hands, and CB, and we need to make at least one splash signing in FA.

Even if the line is built up in 2020 how much does Rivers have left besides some of the bad decision making I am concern about him not having the arm strength that style of throwing I think has caught up to him over the years it isn't a natural throwing motion.
        I expect us ro resign PR/MG III at decent prices, and just a couple of years on contract length.

Splashy playmakers for the splashdown in Inglewood will be the plan,
        over trench help in large doses.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• El_Tee
          I’m No Noob
          • Sep 2019
          • Disney World, FL
          • Send PM

We can go back all season and other than the opener and Miami, I don’t see a whole lot of “Rivers taking the game on his back and torching defenses”.

Do you realize the way the rules are set up to favor offenses, it’s hard to not have a HOF QB with at least one 4-5 TD performance thru 11 games in a season?

Rivers has been skating all season. Didn’t play hardly at all pre-season. Got his OC fired. Even games when we looked “awesome” like Green Bay and last year’s playoff win, he’s playing ultra conservative and just basically taking FGs. Not playing to slit throats and win games.

If we spend $30-$35m on his again for 2020, what are we getting? We are acting like we have a difference maker under center but we don’t. This guy is spooked and allows defenses like Denver, KC and Oak to spook him lately big time. The games he HAS won has been the same ball controlling, lame duck style. That’s not what you pay a QB top dollar for.

Its sad. I’ve just seen way too much this year.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Where do we go? Lots of questions. Rivers, MG III, Ekeler, HH and Bosa. All will be looking for new deals.

mid start by hiring Urban Meyer.

Comment

• foreigner
              Tom Telesco is gone
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              Rivers play this season reminds me of Brees before we drafted Rivers. Gotta change.
              Exactly! He needs to check on Brees' consultant even if its at the end of his career. (I imagine first thing that guy would tell him is "Forget about your family for 2 years...")

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Lately Rivers play reminded me of a teacher my daughter had when she was in second grade. I met with her to discuss some issues that were happening in her class and her response was basically, Hey I retire after the year and I am just trying too ride this last year out, don't bother me with concerns.

That being said for everyone here who thinks a new QB will magically solve the receivers running lazy routes and dropping tons of easy passes and the line with their patented "look out" blocks and the poor play calling especially in the red zone is going to be severely disappointed.

Rivers time is done here I believe, but it will be painful, very painful next year not the we lost every game because of Rivers drivel I hear here.

Comment

• foreigner
                  Tom Telesco is gone
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
                  Lately Rivers play reminded me of a teacher my daughter had when she was in second grade. I met with her to discuss some issues that were happening in her class and her response was basically, Hey I retire after the year and I am just trying too ride this last year out, don't bother me with concerns.

That being said for everyone here who thinks a new QB will magically solve the receivers running lazy routes and dropping tons of easy passes and the line with their patented "look out" blocks and the poor play calling especially in the red zone is going to be severely disappointed.

Rivers time is done here I believe, but it will be painful, very painful next year not the we lost every game because of Rivers drivel I hear here.
                  That's why if Rivers goes we need to go into rebuilding mode and clean the house, otherwise just spend a lot of money in the trenches and see what happens. I believe we are two trenches away (and a new health and conditioning strategy) from a good playoff team.

Comment

• pacstud
                    Black Belt Poster
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wood, there was one big difference between that 2013 team and our current team: the O line. That 2013 team had Hardwick at C, King Dunlap at LT and Fluker, in his rookie year when he was actually fairly decent, at RT.
                    FLuker was never decent

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post

FLuker was never decent
                      He is decent now. Coaching...

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Stop with the excuses. The film and the stats say Rivers is not having a good year. And historically he turns it over a bit too much.

Chargers next gen stats of pass blocking win rate where they give QB 2.5 seconds or more is ranked 16th.

Packers are 1st. 68% of time.
                        Ravens are 2nd.
                        Raiders are 3rd.
                        Bills are 4th.
                        Chargers 16th. 58% of time.
                        Cheifs are 19th.
                        Vikings are 20th.
                        Saints are 21st.
                        Patriots are 23rd. 55% of time.
                        49ers are 24th.
                        Rams are 25th.
                        Seahawks are 28th. 49% of time.
                        Dolphins are 31st.
                        Bengals are 32nd. 40% of time.

The Chargers rush game ranks 14th.

And again, historically.
                        2008 PFF ranked Steelers pass blocking 5th worst. Ben won the Superbowl.
                        2011 PFF ranked Giants the worst o line in all NFL.
                        Eli won the Superbowl. (4 Wins, Zero Interceptions)

Stop with the excuses. Rivers just doesn't make enough winning plays. And he turns it over too much in key moments. Every great year Rivers had his turnovers were down, less than 1 per game avg. Every avg to poor season, Rivers is turning it over more than 1 per game.

We canNOT win the turnover battle if he give it away so much at the QB position.

In 2016 Philips career the Chargers defense tie for 4th with 28 takeaways. But the offense led by Rivers gave it all back 35 turnovers. 21 were interceptions.

Just stop with the excuses. Rivers is hurting his team and he gets in his own way of winning the AFC West.

Again. Chargers oline is 16th in pass block win rate this year.

When I watch the film, they have some bad snaps and some good snaps.
                        Even the top notch Packers line will fail to give 2.5 seconds on 31% of snaps.

Wilson 51% of time is under pressure.
                        Brady 45% of time is under pressure.
                        Rivers 42% of time is under pressure.

nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard
                        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• pacstud
                          Black Belt Poster
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

He is decent now. Coaching...
                          What makes you say he is decent now?

I honestly don't know, but assume he has stayed about below average his whole career.

Comment

Working...
                          X