• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Electric Chicken
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I don’t know that they are whiny reactions or the eye test that he was a long way from being ready to be an NFL QB. Sitting for a year behind someone who prepares like Rivers does will be a wonderful thing for his development. If we see the same thing next camp than I’d look to write him off. But if he shows improvement, like I expect him to, than he can be added to the plans for consideration for the long term QB solution after Rivers is gone.
    Rivers has already left,,,

Comment

• Electric Chicken
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post
      I was reading this article on ESPN.

Basically saying that Cam Newton and Rivers could switch places.

But I see Rivers retiring instead.
      Cam Newton sucks

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
        2020 1st, 3rd
        2021 1st, 3rd
        Mike Williams-WR

To Bengals or Giants for #1 pick.

I hope Bengals beat Dolphins & Browns. 3-13
        And Giants lose out. 2-14

Will be better chance if Chargers go 0-4 or 1-3 to end this year.
        4-12 is around pick 4,5,6
        5-11 is around pick 7,8,9

If it's the Giants at #1. They are not picking QB.
        They could use the extra picks and a target for Danny Dimes. So Mike Williams included should be more attractive. I'm not sold on him being anything other than a big target jump ball WR. The team needs more speed at wide out. Would look to add free agent WR. There are a lot decent free agents that should give you production.

You get the #1 overall.
        So you lost 2020 3rd & Mike Williams.
        And the 2021 1st & 3rd.

To me that is not selling the farm for a QB.
        Free agency is there to support a move. Can bring in some competition that already has NFL experience.

The team that could derail this are the Dolphins, they have more ammunnition to move up to #1.
        Chargers just can not compete with their offer if they are willing to do what it takes.

THIS!!! This is THE BOLD MOVE that sets up the team for the next decade. All other strategies lack the one ingredient that must be added to any recipe - a franchise QB. And the cost?

- This years third - ok, manageable. Maybe we get a comp 3rd?
        - Next year’s 1st and 3rd - use the money saved by not paying a $30M vet QB to sign 2 players to replace the picks. You can sign two very good starters for $30M. AND ... you can sign them THIS YEAR 2020, not in 2021.

Guys - it works. Do not fall for the “sell the farm”, “mortgage the future” warnings.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• La Costa Boy
          Pretty much retired......
          • Sep 2018
          • JoJa
          • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
          • Send PM

And WHO in the Chargers organization will make a move like this??? Probably only the custodian and a receptionist or two. Certainly not someone with the juice to actually make it happen.......

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
            And WHO in the Chargers organization will make a move like this??? Probably only the custodian and a receptionist or two. Certainly not someone with the lack of football sense to actually make it happen.......
            Fixed if for you.

First off, there is no way Burroughs is the absolute lock at QB that would warrant trading those picks and Williams. Now add the crappy line that won't be able to be fixed for years along with introducing yet another roster hole at WR and you are setting up any QB to fail. And we all know TT values draft picks way to much to make a short sighted trade like this, thankfully.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
              • Sep 2018
              • JoJa
              • Send PM

Fixed if for you.

First off, there is no way Burroughs is the absolute lock at QB that would warrant trading those picks and Williams. Now add the crappy line that won't be able to be fixed for years along with introducing yet another roster hole at WR and you are setting up any QB to fail. And we all know TT values draft picks way to much to make a short sighted trade like this, thankfully.
              I was not endorsing the move, just pointing out to those that post and pine for us to make the "big move" that it would/will never happen with the current ownership & GM.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

I was not endorsing the move, just pointing out to those that post and pine for us to make the "big move" that it would/will never happen with the current ownership & GM.
                Yeah, I think some of the wild speculation that won’t come close to coming true is setting people up for big disappointment next season.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                  • Sep 2018
                  • JoJa
                  • Send PM

Oh well, why piss on their dreams? This season has given us a lot to pine and dream about.......

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

THIS!!! This is THE BOLD MOVE that sets up the team for the next decade. All other strategies lack the one ingredient that must be added to any recipe - a franchise QB. And the cost?

- This years third - ok, manageable. Maybe we get a comp 3rd?
                    - Next year’s 1st and 3rd - use the money saved by not paying a $30M vet QB to sign 2 players to replace the picks. You can sign two very good starters for $30M. AND ... you can sign them THIS YEAR 2020, not in 2021.

Guys - it works. Do not fall for the “sell the farm”, “mortgage the future” warnings.
                    You don't have to trade up to the #1 spot in draft to get Burrows. He's not an Andrew Luck top pick lock. You could negotiate with several teams to move up.
                    I question if he'll go top 10 - and that's with L.A. passing on him.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Fixed if for you.

Im not buying your slippery slope opinion.
                      The crappy o line comment is hyperbole.
                      Short sighted trade is flat out non sense.

This is a trade for future. A trade to be set up from 2020-2035. Build around Joe and Win the AFC West many times and go to postseason many times.

The front office may not make a move. I'm not expecting anything from them. I'm just pointing out what could be done.

There are no guarantees of success in any scenario.
                      The keep Rivers, keep the draft picks, draft BPA, fix o line is a status quo idea to me. And just as difficult, maybe more difficult to pull off as the trade for Burrows scenario.

We dont even know if Rivers will play or retire. And lets assume he is resigned to a 1 or 2 year deal. And lets assume they are able to fix the o line on paper. What happens if 2 of the lineman go on IR. Do we complain that Rivers needs a better o line. And what if the o line improves from 18th pass blocking to 10th. Not to top 5. Do we still give Rivers excuses every time the protection is not super cozy for him. I actually think your idea is the short sighted type of thinking. That is not up to date with what the team truly needs to set itself up for a future of AFC West titles and post season appearances.

We will see how it all plays out.
                      Rivers has not won the AFC West in 10 years.
                      I'm expecting if he starts in 2020 & 2021 for that to be 12 season of No AFC West titles. No matter what they do at oline.

I was criticized for wanting Watson over Williams.
                      Criticized for want to get a new QB then.
                      Criticized again for wanting Jackson.
                      And now im criticized for wanting Burrows.

Im tired of the if only Rivers had better line and better coaches comments. Its been 10 years of reading those comments. And he got new coaches 3 times. And got new lineman brought in every year. And we blame Telesco for not putting together a better one. But we are going to trust Telesco now with Rivers at 38 to finally get a top 5 o line in front of him in a single off-season. Really? And a top 5 line doesnt make Rivers acquire useful mobility skills to add to his toolbox to extend drives or make plays in redzone. This doesn't ever change. He can't do it.

At any rate. I dont see how your scenario gets the franchise any closer to winning the AFC West. And I don't see any future in trying for one last go at it with Rivers.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Sept.2 2018
                        Article About Joe transfer to LSU.
                        Before he played a game at LSU.

Supposedly was beating out Haskins but got injured(broken hand).

"Physically, I don’t see limitations. He’s athletic as hell and can extend plays regularly. He’s got a damn strong arm and even shows some serious touch on a lot of his throws. He can complete deep outs. He’s strong and tough. He won Ohio Mr. Football. He was first-team all-state in high school. He turned in the best spring game performance of any of the Ohio State QBs"
                        Read this TPB.
                        Before he even played a game at LSU, he was viewed as an incredible QB prospect.
                        The NFL knows. He will be the #1 QB taken after what he did this year vs big time competition, in big time games.
                        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Read this TPB.
                          Before he even played a game at LSU, he was viewed as an incredible QB prospect.
                          The NFL knows. He will be the #1 QB taken after what he did this year vs big time competition, in big time games.
                          Why won’t the Bengals take him? Why won’t Miami?

Comment

Working...
                          X