• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Im not buying your slippery slope opinion.
    The crappy o line comment is hyperbole.
    Short sighted trade is flat out non sense.

This is a trade for future. A trade to be set up from 2020-2035. Build around Joe and Win the AFC West many times and go to postseason many times.

The front office may not make a move. I'm not expecting anything from them. I'm just pointing out what could be done.

There are no guarantees of success in any scenario.
    The keep Rivers, keep the draft picks, draft BPA, fix o line is a status quo idea to me. And just as difficult, maybe more difficult to pull off as the trade for Burrows scenario.

We dont even know if Rivers will play or retire. And lets assume he is resigned to a 1 or 2 year deal. And lets assume they are able to fix the o line on paper. What happens if 2 of the lineman go on IR. Do we complain that Rivers needs a better o line. And what if the o line improves from 18th pass blocking to 10th. Not to top 5. Do we still give Rivers excuses every time the protection is not super cozy for him. I actually think your idea is the short sighted type of thinking. That is not up to date with what the team truly needs to set itself up for a future of AFC West titles and post season appearances.

We will see how it all plays out.
    Rivers has not won the AFC West in 10 years.
    I'm expecting if he starts in 2020 & 2021 for that to be 12 season of No AFC West titles. No matter what they do at oline.

I was criticized for wanting Watson over Williams.
    Criticized for want to get a new QB then.
    Criticized again for wanting Jackson.
    And now im criticized for wanting Burrows.

Im tired of the if only Rivers had better line and better coaches comments. Its been 10 years of reading those comments. And he got new coaches 3 times. And got new lineman brought in every year. And we blame Telesco for not putting together a better one. But we are going to trust Telesco now with Rivers at 38 to finally get a top 5 o line in front of him in a single off-season. Really? And a top 5 line doesnt make Rivers acquire useful mobility skills to add to his toolbox to extend drives or make plays in redzone. This doesn't ever change. He can't do it.

At any rate. I dont see how your scenario gets the franchise any closer to winning the AFC West. And I don't see any future in trying for one last go at it with Rivers.
    If we traded all that, got Burroughs, we'd be so devoid of talent we wouldn't win the AFC West for another 10 years.

You make that trade only if the guy is a once in a decade player, like Andrew Luck was. I haven't seen anybody, anywhere (aside from you, seemingly) making a comparison between Burroughs and someone like Luck. If they decide to move on from Rivers, I have no problem drafting a QB in the first but we need lots of help around him so I would not trade up if the cost was steep. Certainly not anything like you are suggesting.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Forgot about Detroit but they will be QB shopping too

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
        Forgot about Detroit but they will be QB shopping too
        So are they going to eat Stafford's contract too? He's a recent re-sign.

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Why won’t the Bengals take him? Why won’t Miami?
          They should and probably will.
          But there is a few games left. And its possible Giants are #1.
          I realize the Chargers probably dont get him.
          I'm just saying they can if they are willing to do what it takes. Which the are not likely willing to do.
          Sacred money makes no money.
          Spanos takes no rings.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

If we traded all that, got Burroughs, we'd be so devoid of talent we wouldn't win the AFC West for another 10 years.

You make that trade only if the guy is a once in a decade player, like Andrew Luck was. I haven't seen anybody, anywhere (aside from you, seemingly) making a comparison between Burroughs and someone like Luck. If they decide to move on from Rivers, I have no problem drafting a QB in the first but we need lots of help around him so I would not trade up if the cost was steep. Certainly not anything like you are suggesting.
            What? Devoid for 10 years of talent.
            Now your just pulling my leg.
            Thats unreal to think that.
            Who has it better than us?

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

What? Devoid for 10 years of talent.
              Now your just pulling my leg.
              Thats unreal to think that.
              10 years was obviously hyperbole but the point is the same - don’t gut the short to mid-term future for one player unless it is a superstar.

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

10 years was obviously hyperbole but the point is the same - don’t gut the short to mid-term future for one player unless it is a superstar.
                You do mortgage future for the right QB, because without that QB, there is NO short term or mid term future......... with todays offensive oriented rules, a great QB can instantly turn around a team and start winning quickly...... Burrow IS that kind of once a decade or greater type of player.....

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

Really?With a shit o line and one really good reviever?Naw,aint buyin it.Rivers will be playing next year.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                    Really?With a shit o line and one really good reviever?Naw,aint buyin it.Rivers will be playing next year.
                    Fix the OL and I'm fine with that. Also need to get another WR.
                    Still, picking top 15 a QB should be in the plans.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

You do mortgage future for the right QB, because without that QB, there is NO short term or mid term future......... with todays offensive oriented rules, a great QB can instantly turn around a team and start winning quickly...... Burrow IS that kind of once a decade or greater type of player.....
                      Right, you mortgage the future if you can get an Andrew Luck. Burroughs isn’t another Andrew Luck. Not even close.

Comment

• PR#1
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Broncos got Lock in the second round.

You just need to have an eye for talent, you don't need trade all your picks away.

Both Lock and burrow played for the same conference. Lock was great for Missouri .

burrow was just surrounded by a much better team.

But lock is every bit as good a passer as burrow.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Right, you mortgage the future if you can get an Andrew Luck. Burroughs isn’t another Andrew Luck. Not even close.
                          Hmmm, well Luck never had a college season like Burrow is having. Burrow has 48 TDs, only 6 INTs completing 78.3%. Luck never came close to that.
                          Burrow has a game to go still and may reach 5000 yards passing. Luck never topped 4000.

Comment

Working...
                          X