• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperChargedRodney37 View Post

I'm curious to see what this staff thinks of these three DT's that many fans may have forgotten about or written off.
    1. Otito Ogbonnia 6'4" 320 coming off injury

2. Jerrod Clark 6'4" 333 Nose Tackle that is quick and can move for a man his size. I thought his tape was underrated in last year's draft.

3. Scott Matlock 6'4" 295 I really liked the "Sheamus" pick and see him as one of those "Vicious" players they would like.

I just wonder if we are overlooking some potential good role players because they didn't get a chance and our coaching last year was just so bad in the development of their players.
    I hear ya. Clarke may be looked at at NT with Poona. Think we can use a talented DT like Fiske or Jenkins.
    I know it was last.year but Matlock needs work.

Was our entire coaching staff just weak sauce?

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2024
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I saw a twitter X mock pic of yellow helmet, powder jersey, matching yellow pants. looks very cool

image.png
      I saw that and hated the helmet.
      Nothing says "Vicious" and "pound you in the ground" quite like Dancing through the sunflowers yellow".

Give me the darker navy colors as the alternate. Feels more aggressive.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
        Superbowl?
        • Sep 2018
        • Los Angeles/Chicago
        • Send PM

But what is this 2nd alternate helmet that already exists?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

I'm curious to see what this staff thinks of these three DT's that many fans may have forgotten about or written off.
          1. Otito Ogbonnia 6'4" 320 coming off injury

2. Jerrod Clark 6'4" 333 Nose Tackle that is quick and can move for a man his size. I thought his tape was underrated in last year's draft.

3. Scott Matlock 6'4" 295 I really liked the "Sheamus" pick and see him as one of those "Vicious" players they would like.

I just wonder if we are overlooking some potential good role players because they didn't get a chance and our coaching last year was just so bad in the development of their players.
          My thinking is you nail it with the final line - role players. We need role players, just like we always need depth, and we have some maybe. But we need a bonafide PB/AP DT star. More often than not the great defenses have that guy.

Chiefs: Jones
          Ravens: Madubuike
          49ers: Hargrave / Armstead (gone now)

DT superstar is a force multiplier. Edge rushers have a side path to the QB who cannot step up anymore and see less G/T doubles. CBs have to cover for shorter amount of time. Passes over middle are harder with that guy in QB's face. Blitzers are harder to pick up as extra attention must be paid to the star. ... ... ... multiplier ...

nobody on this roster is even top half of the league.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I hear ya. Clarke may be looked at at NT with Poona. Think we can use a talented DT like Fiske or Jenkins.

I have gone through this DL group with a fine tooth carbon fiber afro pick.

JMO opinion, but I did see Chris Hinton go from being a JAG to someone who actually contributes.
            Ben Herbert mentioned working with this former Wolverine years ago. I believe Ben can get Hinton dialed in.
            Of course there is the NFL bloodline angle, as with Kris Jenkins.

Matlock I have as Base DE#2 behind Morgan Fox.
            Tito's got some power and some push...give him selective snaps to speed development.
            Jerrod Clark is depth and strictly a 1Tech.
            Okoye is behind Tito, Matlock as a raw as hell 4i.

I've got a shocker for you at #140.
            Plus, how often will we go NASCAR ?
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I have gone through this DL group with a fine tooth carbon fiber afro pick.

JMO opinion, but I did see Chris Hinton go from being a JAG to someone who actually contributes.
              Ben Herbert mentioned working with this former Wolverine years ago. I believe Ben can get Hinton dialed in.
              Of course there is the NFL bloodline angle, as with Kris Jenkins.

Matlock I have as Base DE#2 behind Morgan Fox.
              Tito's got some power and some push...give him selective snaps to speed development.
              Jerrod Clark is depth and strictly a 1Tech.
              Okoye is behind Tito, Matlock as a raw as hell 4i.

I've got a shocker for you at #140.
              Plus, how often will we go NASCAR ?
              Wood, what's your take on Andrew Farmer? He's still on our roster...I thought he showed a pretty good motor and moves well for a big guy...showed decent pass rush last PS...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wood, what's your take on Andrew Farmer? He's still on our roster...I thought he showed a pretty good motor and moves well for a big guy...showed decent pass rush last PS...
                He might be a depth piece.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Icebolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2023
                  • Send PM

Are guys kidding! I think I like the yellow helmets are better than the white ones. Please let's not go back to the dark blue boring one.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

I saw that and hated the helmet.
                    Nothing says "Vicious" and "pound you in the ground" quite like Dancing through the sunflowers yellow".

Give me the darker navy colors as the alternate. Feels more aggressive.
                    Agreed! Navy Helmuts

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

He might be a depth piece.
                      We'll see what the coaches think in a few days. If no one on the team can be penetrating disruption at DT, we'll draft one. Either we have one or it's a need.
                      And then again, we may be on the clock when DT is the BPA.
                      ...Or they might go FA post draft? lol.

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2024
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

My thinking is you nail it with the final line - role players. We need role players, just like we always need depth, and we have some maybe. But we need a bonafide PB/AP DT star. More often than not the great defenses have that guy.

Chiefs: Jones
                        Ravens: Madubuike
                        49ers: Hargrave / Armstead (gone now)

DT superstar is a force multiplier. Edge rushers have a side path to the QB who cannot step up anymore and see less G/T doubles. CBs have to cover for shorter amount of time. Passes over middle are harder with that guy in QB's face. Blitzers are harder to pick up as extra attention must be paid to the star. ... ... ... multiplier ...

nobody on this roster is even top half of the league.
                        Most teams try to find Edge First because that's more of a premium position than DT. Teams that have a Superstar tackle tend to have value-based Edge players unless they lucked into a good draft pick.
                        Since the Chargers have 2 Elite Edge Rushers and a potential 3rd in Tuli. They are going to be built differently than Baltimore. Therefore, this team doesn't need any Superstar DT's they need good solid role-playing DT's.
                        If they can rotate a good 3/4 that will primarily stuff the run in the middle and keep the LBer's clean, then that will be ideal.

You have to remember for this team because of the Talent at the more Elite Edge, they only need 2 down run defending, short yardage, and Goal line Tackles. When it's 3rd down or predictable passing down they will more than likely have the 3 Edge Rushers and a smaller quicker Tackle like Morgan Fox on the field.

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2024
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I believe so. Although to be fair maybe they weren't bad all around. They just lacked vision, direction, leadership, and a workable and committed philosophy. (That's more on Staley than the staff in that case.)

Comment

Working...
                          X