• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Who would pay Ekeler 11 mil a year? Not gonna happen. Even if we tender him a first rounder it's less than half of that. Doubt anyone would give up a first for him but I'd sure take it.
    He will remain with us.
    think he gets 'bout $5m/year....
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• almailva
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2020
      • Cavenago di Brianza
      • chemist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

think he gets 'bout $5m/year....
      both over the cap and spotrac give him a 11M value
      https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-ange.../market-value/
      Austin Ekeler contract and salary cap details, including signing bonus, guaranteed salary, dead money, roster bonuses, and contract history

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by almailva View Post
        Thats crazy, and it's actually 11.9 mil. He was a great reciever and a pretty decent runner but you don't give RBs that kind of dough that never gain 600 yards a season.

I agree with Beach,....5-6 mil a year is about right. A first round tender is 4.6 mil.

Comment

• Charge!
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Thats crazy, and it's actually 11.9 mil. He was a great reciever and a pretty decent runner but you don't give RBs that kind of dough that never gain 600 yards a season.

I agree with Beach,....5-6 mil a year is about right. A first round tender is 4.6 mil.
          that seems about right for a part time rotational back...... Ekler is a good player but not a every down back.......

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

that seems about right for a part time rotational back...... Ekler is a good player but not a every down back.......
            Yep...I like Ekkie in the rotation, but the closest thing to an every down back who should be available in round 4-5 is this big bruiser:

image.png

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

That guy definitely needs to be a Bolt.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...I like Ekkie in the rotation, but the closest thing to an every down back who should be available in round 4-5 is this big bruiser:

image.png
                Not so sure I want a big bruiser. We don't need to copy the Titans. Rather have a decent sized RB with speed.

Would love to sign Drake or draft a RB like Dobbins or some others in this draft.
                If we want a big GL RB, I think Ingram is athletic enough to do that....assuming he is staying. The guy is athletic, use his tools.

Just think with an upgraded OL a RB with speed would do wonders. Doubt we go after him but I'd love us to sign Kenyan Drake

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Lots of day 3 RBs that will have great skillsets, to compliment what we have already.
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

We don't have to pay Ekeler free market value, because he is not that kind of FA. If we really want to, we can give him a 1st round tender and pay him close to $5 mill next season (estimates put it at around $4.667 mill). That is the ceiling.

More likely, I think is a 2nd round tender. That is estimated at $3.278 mill.

If WE choose, we can sign him to an extension that is more than next season. However, then we have to consider market value, since it would be silly for him to accept a below market contract.

........... EXCEPT ……. and this is the thing, if you look at Ekeler's production it is fairly unique among the NFL RB right now, which is getting him comp vs the top paid RB. Ezekiel Elliott, Gurley, Leveon Bell, David Johnson, then there is a big drop in salaries, to Devanta Freeman and Saquon Barkley, Jerrick McKinnon at $7,500,000 per season.

The point is that first, there is a pretty serious argument to be made he doesn't comp vs any of those players. It terms of production … maybe … in terms of role on the team, NO. Not even close. Those RB are all lead RB guys who are getting tons of carries.

The even more important issue is, those guys are all overpaid. The teams threw money at them, and are now clearly regretting it. There is NO reason to make the same mistake, even if that means letting Ekeler walk.

I want both Gordon and Ekeler back next season (Ekeler will be, who knows about MG). I think both are good fits to our O, although MG less so with a more zone scheme. But it has to be at our price. You can get decent FA RB at the end of every draft, and there are plenty of decent RB to be drafted in the middle and late rounds.

As far as pure running skills, I am not sure there is a lot of difference between the 2nd tier of RB and the UDFA. The elite Derrick Henry and Ezekiel Elliot types are rare, and have some more value, but I wouldn't break the bank, because it is not worth that much extra, no matter how good they are. Just look at both Henry and Elliott, they run behind two of the better OL in football, and it has to be the right scheme. They have built their entire teams around those two players, with offenses and defenses (and ST) to compliment those players. Does that sound like our roster?

Ekeler and Gordon are both worth probably around $5 mill per year. Part of that is their running ability, part of it is their receiving. I see Ekeler as being our slot WR and 3rd down RB, and MG being the regular RB with Justin Jackson being his backup. I would like to add another bigger, more physical RB to the mix, but not sure that will happen. I wouldn't mind adding someone like Antionio Gibson, although I see him as a hybrid RB/slot guy like Ekeler, given his lack of position skills (and he only ran behind pulling OG in Memphis). While I am not a huge fan of Troymaine Pope being on our roster, he got some good work in as a gunner on ST, and when he is willing to just go forwards and not try to dance on punt returns is a OK punt returner, so that makes him a pretty serious candidate to return, even though he is a forgettable RB.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I'm not sure there really is such a thing as an every down RB. The 2 exceptions to that right now are Elliott for the Cowboys and Henry for the Titans, but if they ever go down …

Better to have a couple with somewhat different skill sets and rotate them. Not as nice for the fantasy fans, but better overall for the team.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

agree with above
                        my preference:
                        2nd round tender for AE
                        Let MG walk. Becoming less of a fit on and off the field. MG lacks maturity to be a pro and reliable teammate
                        Lynn should be expected to make UDFA RBs into solid role players regularly since you know, he’s expert and all.
                        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Solid points Steve.

Gibson has potential as a tweener,
                          or "Wingback" as Bucky Brooks has reintroduced to NFL lexicon.

My vote is to give Ekeler some job security now, and some insurance against injury...ie get him locked up at a decent price.

The nightmare of AJ and Sproles
                          will haunt me right into my grave.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X