• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

Those cap problems would have existed with Goff as well. And they would be worse next year.

I don't think those picks with Goff would put them over the top, either.

Walter Football has what would have been the Rams pick as Andre Cisco and the next pick as Carlos Basham. So the Rams are looking at giving up two players of that quality to upgrade from Goff to Stafford and get into a better cap situation while their window is still open.

I think they could have been a perennial 10-6 team for the next 4 years with Goff. Maybe they make a conference championship. But I think that is the ceiling. I think they have a legit chance at a Superbowl for the next two years now. And I don't think they'll be so bad in year 3 that their pick will be in the top 5 where they can get a franchise QB anyway. After that they may need to burn it down, but they still have their picks after that and could have pieces to trade and get more picks like the Dolphins did.
    And with Goff and losing some players contracts they would be worse. Throw in they lost Staley and probably won't have a number 1 defense again. They lost many of their defensive coaches to other teams.

Stafford makes the offense better depending on if they have cap problems on offense.
    Kupp has a big cap hit this year and now his best buddy is gone. Maybe they try and move him but he would be another huge dead cap hit so probably not

I don't know, they have a mess to clean up. Could be a down year as SF and Seattle get better.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
      The gamble’s only worth it if there’s a ring. Otherwise they’re just us from 2004-2009.
      Except they’ve already been to one super bowl

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Sam Farmer’s take: https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/...mpression=true

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Is This True or is Mikerphone High?

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
            Wow that is a heavy price.
            In the fight for LA,
            the Rams are displaying
            that they fear
            Justin Herbert
            and the LA Chargers.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

Poor Goff...the humiliation....it's over. If I was a QB, I would rather fly a single engine plane into the Bermuda Triangle, than go to Detroit...

He is done...
              Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• RTPbolt
                Charger Fan till the end
                • Jun 2013
                • North Carolina
                • Send PM

Well you could say Goff at least is bringing 2 first rounders with him over the next few years....better than Stafford losing 2 first rounders essentially for the potential rest of his career pending if he wanrs to play past 36.

i think the Rams were snorting coke in the back room on this one....Id be furious if I was a Rams fan. I DO like Stafford and think he is a gamer. He may bring a spark quickly but hes on the back third of his career and you could have had Watson for that haul who on a questionable team has been a top 5 performer and beginning his 2nd contract....THAT I can see as far more fair. Is Beatherd secretly hanging out in that back room with their GM? Leverage your top picks year after year blows up as soon as that player doesnt perform or you have injuries. To me the Rams were raped....good for Detroit and Matt gets out onto a playoff team but a head slapper combined with a dick punch on this one....ouch. Thank god TT has a better sense of value and patience than this.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Lions basically paid I think around 37.5m for Goff and two first rounders. Brad Holmes knew the Rams were done with Goff so he was willing to pay for two first rounders. I guess if you are the LIons, you get a QB to run your team as this rebuild with draft picks takes place. For the Rams,they are all in - but they have been pretty good about hitting on draft picks and they will continue to need to be.

Personally, I don't get it from the Lions perspective - meaning - taking Goff's contract. I doubt many teams were offering FRPs - if this was the deal. I mean, wouldn't say taking a FRP (if offered from the Colts or Niners) and even kicking back a 3rd to Indy or SF BUT not take Goff make more sense. I don't know. Campbell got six years.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Rams trade Goff to Lions for Stafford

By Gary Klein Staff Writer

Published Jan. 30, 2021 Updated Jan. 30, 2021 9:55 PM PT

Jared Goff was once the centerpiece of the Rams’ franchise. The quarterback was selected with the No. 1 pick in the 2016 NFL draft, and the team made bold, flashy moves to surround him with stars and build a Super Bowl team in 2018. But the Goff era ended Saturday. Five years after they traded up a record 14 spots to draft him, the Rams traded Goff to the Detroit Lions for quarterback Matthew Stafford, a person with knowledge of the situation said.

As part of the deal, the Rams also sent the Lions a third-round pick this year and two future first-round picks, said the person who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the deal.

Stafford, who turns 33 next Sunday, was the first pick in the 2009 draft. He was voted to the Pro Bowl once in 12 seasons and is 0-3 in playoff games. Other than receiver Calvin Johnson, however, Stafford, has never played with a surplus of talent.Stafford has passed for 45,109 yards and 282 touchdowns with 144 interceptions. This season, he passed for 4,084 yards and 26 touchdowns with 10 interceptions.

Stafford has two years remaining on his contract and had salary-cap numbers of $33 million in 2021 and $26 million in 2022, according to overthecap.com. Stafford and Lions ownership reportedly had agreed to pursue trading him. New Lions general manager Brad Holmes knows Goff well. Holmes, hired a few weeks ago, was the Rams’ director of college scouting for the last eight seasons.

Goff, 26, finished his Rams career with 42-27 record as a starter. He passed for 18,171 yards and 107 touchdowns with 55 interceptions. He was 3-3 in playoff games. During Goff’s first news conference in 2016, former coach Jeff Fisher introduced the former California star Goff as “our franchise quarterback,” and general manager Les Snead said Goff gave the Rams “long-term stability.” Long-term turned out to be five seasons. Goff was 0-7 as a starter his rookie season under Fisher’s staff, but he developed into a two-time Pro Bowl selection under coach Sean McVay, leading the Rams to three playoff appearances in four seasons and a Super Bowl LIII berth.

It appeared as if Goff and McVay would be tied together for years to come. “As long as I’m fortunate enough to be in this role, hopefully this guy is stuck with me for a long time,” McVay said a few months before the Rams awarded Goff with a $134-million extension that included $110 million in guarantees. Since then, Goff’s production has fallen.

He passed for a career-low 20 touchdowns this season with 13 interceptions. Goff struggled in a Nov. 1 loss to the Miami Dolphins, losing two fumbles and having two passes intercepted. Three games later, he had two passes intercepted and lost a fumble in a loss to the San Francisco 49ers. After the game, McVay broke from his usual practice of blaming himself for players’ mistakes and called out Goff publicly for the first time.
                    “Our quarterback’s got to take better care of the football,” McVay said.

Goff started the next four games but suffered a broken right thumb against the Seattle Seahawks in the second-to-last game of the season. He underwent thumb surgery the next day and sat out the finale against the Arizona Cardinals. But the following week, despite Goff saying he was capable of playing, McVay again started backup John Wolford in an NFC wild-card game against the Seahawks.

After Wolford suffered a first-quarter neck injury, Goff came off the bench and helped lead the Rams to victory. Goff started the divisional-round game against the Green Bay Packers and passed for a touchdown in the 32-18 season-ending defeat.

After the game, McVay said Goff was the Rams’ quarterback “right now,” putting Goff’s future with the team in doubt. Just over a week later, Snead said Goff was the Rams’ quarterback “in this moment,” indicating the team was ready to move on. The only mystery was how they would do it.

Cutting Goff would have cost the Rams $65.2 million in dead-cap money, according to overthecap.com. Even for a team that cut star running back Todd Gurley and was willing to absorb a record hit when they cut receiver Brandin Cooks last March, the cost of releasing Goff was too much.

By trading Goff, the Rams will incur a $22.2-million dead-cap hit. And by including the draft picks, they essentially paid the Lions to take him off their hands.The Rams have not had a first-round pick since they selected Goff, Snead sending them to other teams in trades for players such as Cooks and star cornerback Jalen Ramsey.

They do not have a first-round pick in this year’s draft, and now they will not have one for the foreseeable future, a trend that began when the Rams made their historic move for Goff.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/...stafford-lions

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

Stafford's a great quarterback, but two #1 picks and Goff? Yikes! Stafford's 32 years old, think the Rams are panicking a bit.

Washington was also a heavy bidder for Stafford's services, Rams outbid Washington.

Broncos, 49ers, & Panthers were in the mix for Stafford too. Drew Lock, watch your 6.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                        Poor Goff...the humiliation....it's over. If I was a QB, I would rather fly a single engine plane into the Bermuda Triangle, than go to Detroit...

He is done...
                        Jared Goff. Led the Rams to the Super Bowl and manufactured 3 points the entire game. Sad!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Washington was also a heavy bidder for Stafford's services, Rams outbid Washington.

Broncos, 49ers, & Panthers were in the mix for Stafford too. Drew Lock, watch your 6.
                          I wonder if Shanahan is calling the Eagles for Wentz or the WFT for Alex Smith

Comment

Working...
                          X