• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The Buffalo game - -I will do the play by play - paraphrasing but the situation remains the same:

Play by play guy on the Bills Radio Network: 3rd down for Josh Allen and the Bills at the Chargers 43 yard line, Bills ahead by 7 points but facing a critical 3rd down and 17. Allen in the shot gun, gets the snap, drops back, quick screen pass to Zach Moss, rambles down to the 31 yard line, still short of the first down but in FG range. Out comes "Hauschka"

Analyst: on that play, you can see the Chargers dropped pretty deep - some defenders starting at the 25 yard line or the first down marker. Josh saw that and correctly make the call to pick up some yards and get a decent FG attempt

Play by Play guy: snap, hold down, kick on its way. GOOOOD! Bills lead by 10 with under 6 minutes to go.

Gus used to love to do this - play so far back the team picked up valuable yardage. And down by 7 - you cannot allow a team to get yards to get in FG range.
    Gus drove me crazy with his bend then break concepts. He’s someone else’s problem now.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• UglyTruth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2018
      • Send PM

That Bills game brings back a lot of comedic memories.

SPOILER

Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
      - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
      - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
      - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
      - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

The Autumn wind is a pirate. Denzel is a cool pirate name.

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Some Jaguars players 'aren't thrilled' with head coach Urban Meyer and his 'college-like' ways

Things are not off to the smoothest start in Jacksonville

By Bryan DeArdo
          7 hrs ago 3 min read

Urban Meyer isn't used to losing. He won over 85% of his games in 17 years as a college head coach, boasting an overall record of 187-32 over that time. That may be the reason why Meyer looked more stressed than the average NFL coach during his team's second preseason loss this past Monday night. Adding to the Jaguars' winless preseason is the news that rookie running back Travis Etienne will miss the entire year with a serious Lisfranc injury.
          As Jacksonville prepares for its preseason finale against the Cowboys, CBS Sports senior NFL writer Pete Prisco offered some insight inside Meyer's first NFL training camp. As one would expect, Meyer's first training camp has had its share of turbulence.
          "They haven't gotten off to a good start, that's obvious," Prisco recently said on The DA Show. "He clearly does not like losing, even if it's in the preseason. I heard he had a rough go of it last week just because he lost his first preseason game, and that's not an attitude that you need to have in the NFL.
          "He's got to change a few things. He brought a bunch of college-like things to the program which I don't necessarily agree with. I've heard some of the players aren't thrilled with them either."
          What specifically have Jaguars players not liked?

"One of his assistants on the field during practice with a boom mic telling everybody to hydrate, hustle and get to the next series," Prisco said. "Obviously, he's a work in progress. He's been a good football coach everywhere he's been. It's a lot different when you recruit guys to your school and you've got a bunch of players, the five stars, then it is when you're trying to build something."
          Given their 1-15 record in 2020, the Jaguars aren't expected to be a playoff contender during Meyer's first season. That being said, the amount of support Meyer has been given by Jaguars owner Shad Khan has brought added pressure for Meyer's team to at least reach respectability in his first season. Based on how Meyer's team look in their first two preseason games, it may take more than one season for the three-time national championship coach to get things turned around. That being said, Meyer and his staff still have time to right the ship before the Jaguars kickoff the regular season against the Texans on September 12.
          "He took the job with the idea that Trevor Lawrence would be his quarterback," Prisco said. "You're drawn to that job because of that. And he's been given carte blanche there. From everything he's changed inside the building; they've added a bunch of new things, cryotherapy, all kinds of stuff, have been added to that building at his request. He has the biggest coaching staff in the NFL; it's enormous. There's a trainer, a stretching coach at every position when they stretch so that they all get the proper stretch.
          "The team has gone above and beyond what he has requested, so now he has to win. The problem is that he said he has the best of the best with his coaching staff. It's clear that that offense is a disaster right now. They have no idea what they're doing. They don't have speed outside. … They're not a fast team and that's something that he preached all offseason. They have problems, but they have a week to fix them and a couple of weeks before the start of the regular season. But right now they do not look very good."

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I'm so glad we didn't get Urban. Players are generally men who give their all to get there and stay there. They don't need that college bullying shit.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2020
              • Oklahoma
              • Send PM

Already lost a 1st round pick for the year(RB of course). Watching Urban go 3-14 or worse will be entertaining.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
                That Bills game brings back a lot of comedic memories.

SPOILER

Lynn was awful

Comment

• CivilBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lynn was awful
                  If you ask Bradley after that FG… he will probably say, we won that series because our D limited the “explosive play”… No Bradley, your D was supposed to stop them and keep them out of FG range to give your team a chance to win with less than 6 minutes remaining ity:

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

If you ask Bradley after that FG… he will probably say, we won that series because our D limited the “explosive play”… No Bradley, your D was supposed to stop them and keep them out of FG range to give your team a chance to win with less than 6 minutes remaining ity:
                    Nicely said.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lynn was awful
                      But he was such a nice guy though.

Seriously though all that I remember on every broadcast was about how Anthony Lynn was the nicest guy on planet Earth. Many people said the same about McCoy before him.

I hope Staley is somewhat of an asshole because nice guys don’t tend to do well in this league. The top coaches in the NFL right now (Harbaugh, Bellichek, Arians, Payton etc) all have jackass personalities.

Marty was the last coach the Chargers had that had a jackass personality.
                      Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                      - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                      - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                      - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                      - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Not really. Marty was tough but also a guy who would cry at the drop of a hat and was generally a very nice man. . The last true ahole coach the Chargers had was Kevin Gilbride.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Berserker76
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                          Not really. Marty was tough but also a guy who would cry at the drop of a hat and was generally a very nice man. . The last true ahole coach the Chargers had was Kevin Gilbride.

TG
                          Yeah, Gilbride, that smarmy ahole was probably my least favorite coach.

Comment

Working...
                          X