• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eaterfan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...why do they need a roof? Hello!!! This IS Southern California, right? Some of the best weather in the world, and they put a dumb roof on it!!! It would be like France covering up the Mona Lisa...and still charging people to go "see" it...
    I'm sure you actually know the answer and just disagree with the reasoning.

They want the space used 365 days a year and not just 20-24 days a year for football. They want conventions in there. It's very unlikely it will rain on your convention in So Cal, but if you are running one, you need that chance to be 0.

I also wonder if reason they didn't go with rollers is also partially because of the space it would take up. Vegas and AZ have a lot cheaper prices on a per square foot basis. The space around Sofi is so valuable, using an additional 2 acres on a football field and its rollers is incredibly expensive in addition to the cost of actually building it.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by labound View Post
      This is crazy. Your team plays in the finest stadium in the world and you guys are pissing and moaning about the Matrix turf. There is no way a natural grass field could hold up to two professional teams, let alone a third team (college) added at some point.
      I swear if you went to a orgy you'd complain about the clam dip.
      If the clam dip hurt my performance damn right I’d complain.

just because it’s new and expensive with a fancy video oculus doesn’t mean it’s the “finest stadium in the world”.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

The roof has clear panes, doesn’t it? They could get enough sun thru to grow grass, just need to pick the correct variant. Or put some fucking grow lights in the place to augment partial direct sun.

I agree that artificial turf in LA is a big miss. 2 teams yada yada, they are not both playing there the same week almost ever. Hell - The Murph had 2 teams playing every week for almost 50 yrs. Players never once asked to pull out the grass and put in turf that i know of.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
          The roof has clear panes, doesn’t it? They could get enough sun thru to grow grass, just need to pick the correct variant. Or put some fucking grow lights in the place to augment partial direct sun.

I agree that artificial turf in LA is a big miss. 2 teams yada yada, they are not both playing there the same week almost ever. Hell - The Murph had 2 teams playing every week for almost 50 yrs. Players never once asked to pull out the grass and put in turf that i know of.
          Yep...really dumb decision, especially in view of the higher rate of injuries, and more severe injuries on artificial turf compared to natural grass...putting the players' health and livelihood in jeopardy just to make a few extra bucks for the convenience of not having to water and groom the grass before the next Kaskade or Los Bukis concert...

sofi.JPG

bukis.jpg
          Attached Files

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...really dumb decision, especially in view of the higher rate of injuries, and more severe injuries on artificial turf compared to natural grass...putting the players' health and livelihood in jeopardy just to make a few extra bucks for the convenience of not having to water and groom the grass before the next Kaskade or Los Bukis concert...

sofi.JPG

bukis.jpg
            Bro! Thanks for the 411 on the next Buttkiss concert - i am so down!!!
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by labound View Post
              This is crazy. Your team plays in the finest stadium in the world and you guys are pissing and moaning about the Matrix turf. There is no way a natural grass field could hold up to two professional teams, let alone a third team (college) added at some point.
              I swear if you went to a orgy you'd complain about the clam dip.
              There will be NO college team added at any point. They have their own stadiums and can afford to build another.

Bosa is making too much money to be wearing him down on turf. Personally i dont care how nice the stadium is (it looks like a giant vagina from the sky view). Id prefer them to play in the Q but it is now rubble.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

I'm in total and complete agreement about the decision to build a roofed stadium in fooking So Cal. I don't get it. I remember when the 49ers played at Kezar in Golden Gate Park, the Chargers played at Balboa Stadium in Balboa Park. That was when football was football. They play football today in an open air stadium in fooking Green Bay, on the shore of Lake Michigan. The play in the open air in Buffalo on the shore of Lake Erie, same in Cleveland. But they need a roof in Los Angeles? I've never understood it.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

They should have used LT's fake grass... obviously!
                  P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                  P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                  P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                  P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

I'm sure you actually know the answer and just disagree with the reasoning.

They want the space used 365 days a year and not just 20-24 days a year for football. They want conventions in there. It's very unlikely it will rain on your convention in So Cal, but if you are running one, you need that chance to be 0.

I also wonder if reason they didn't go with rollers is also partially because of the space it would take up. Vegas and AZ have a lot cheaper prices on a per square foot basis. The space around Sofi is so valuable, using an additional 2 acres on a football field and its rollers is incredibly expensive in addition to the cost of actually building it.
                    OK, this is a good explanation. It makes sense from an economic point of view. It's good for business but bad for football.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Also the structural engineers that designed the stadium. The base opening for a rolling grass platform would have been a nightmare to design to meet California’s strict seismic requirements.
                      Spoken like a true engineer. (From an SE’s perspective.)
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

If the clam dip hurt my performance damn right I’d complain.

just because it’s new and expensive with a fancy video oculus doesn’t mean it’s the “finest stadium in the world”.
                        IMO, SoFi is the finest stadium ever built.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Speaking of Sofi Stadium. You know how every year when we are the Super Bowl host and an AFC West rival makes it as the AFC representative? That's annoying. I'm tired of the Chiefs. It's time for someone else's turn.

I don't want teams like the Chiefs or Steelers to make it. They already have many appearances. I'm okay with teams like the Browns, Ravens, Bills. and Titans making it.

Comment

Working...
                          X