• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Was it any different than 2012, 2015, and 2016? He didn't trust his OL once Pouncey went down, and Okung was in and out. Plus he started pressing when they started falling behind. That's what happened most of the time. He would play hero ball. Like I said, no different than what happened in 2012, 2015, and 2016.
    Again, disagree. Results are frighteningly different from those seasons, something was different. JMHO

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Why in the world would the Packers trade Bakhtiari, an All-Pro and Pro-Bowler, for Turnstile Tevi? It would be like trading in a Maserati for a Yugo...if anything, just offer the draft pick, conditionally based on Bakhtiari agreeing with the Bolts on a multi-year deal...
      The are doing the deal because Bahktiari will be a free agent after this year. And they could lose him and get nothing but a comp pick. The are getting a 2nd rd pick. Tevi is Just a throw in. If that dont want Tevi and the 2nd is enough. Ok.
      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Again, disagree. Results are frighteningly different from those seasons, something was different. JMHO
        I personally think he was mentally done with the whole move to LA; never having fan support. Never. The NFL did the Chargers wrong by scheduling of all teams, the Steelers on their showcase game of the week, Sunday Night Football. Notice they aren't doing it this year - scheduling any home games for the Chargers until they see how they are supported. . But I think Rivers was just done - he was a San Diego Charger. Derwin James never played in SD; Bosa played one year, Keenan probably likes LA better but Rivers was a San Diego Charger.

I hope Rivers does well in Indy. He has one of the best OLs in the league, good players in Mack, TY Hilton, Jack Doyle; defense should be better and probably more comfortable with Reich than Lynn. Plus, he will have a home crowd for the first time since early in the 2016 season. Those last couple games in SD don't count. I know I will be watching.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

What results were frighteningly different? He was a turnover machine in 2012 and 2016. The record was just as bad in 2015 and 2016. He probably can't move as well in the pocket because he was older so he needs that interior protection more. But he seemed to have been doing fine until the Broncos game when Pouncey went out. He definitely looked more rattled in the Steelers game the week after.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I personally think he was mentally done with the whole move to LA; never having fan support. Never. The NFL did the Chargers wrong by scheduling of all teams, the Steelers on their showcase game of the week, Sunday Night Football. Notice they aren't doing it this year - scheduling any home games for the Chargers until they see how they are supported. . But I think Rivers was just done - he was a San Diego Charger. Derwin James never played in SD; Bosa played one year, Keenan probably likes LA better but Rivers was a San Diego Charger.

I hope Rivers does well in Indy. He has one of the best OLs in the league, good players in Mack, TY Hilton, Jack Doyle; defense should be better and probably more comfortable with Reich than Lynn. Plus, he will have a home crowd for the first time since early in the 2016 season. Those last couple games in SD don't count. I know I will be watching.
            If he was mentally done with LA then why did he go through the trouble of creating his own mobile film room? Why did he have two of his best seasons in LA then? Was he tired of SD when we had those losing seasons in 2012, 2015, and 2016?

Maybe the easiest answer was that Rivers was just as focused but the talent, especially at IOL, was no longer up to snuff anymore. It's the difference between the Saints and us really.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
              If he was mentally done with LA then why did he go through the trouble of creating his own mobile film room? Why did he have two of his best seasons in LA then? Was he tired of SD when we had those losing seasons in 2012, 2015, and 2016?

Maybe the easiest answer was that Rivers was just as focused but the talent, especially at IOL, was no longer up to snuff anymore. It's the difference between the Saints and us really.
              I think he knew he wouldn't be getting the kind of contract going forward for the remaining part of his career. I also see a little self serving stubbornness that a long term Qb has when thinking this is his team, but when you go 5-11 and are desperate for a better contract renewal, he became free and easy with the ball.
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think we all knew Rivers was going to be a HC of his sons high school football team. But yes, this was an odd announcement. But granted, if somebody was going to pay you $25m - wouldn't you take it.

I think Rivers will have a good season in Indy. They have a good OL, improved defense, he won't have to do as much and he might listen to Reich more than Lynn - meaning don't audible out of runs, don't play hero ball.

I will never speak bad of Rivers - I will be watching the Colts. That said, I know it was time to change the QB moving forward and I hope Tyrod Taylor is what Lynn envisions him to be. No excuses.
                Whats wrong with audibling of runs? If you go to the line and the D knows what you’re running and move an extra defender in to stop the play, its smart to run something else.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I think he knew he wouldn't be getting the kind of contract going forward for the remaining part of his career. I also see a little self serving stubbornness that a long term Qb has when thinking this is his team, but when you go 5-11 and are desperate for a better contract renewal, he became free and easy with the ball.
                  I disagree with this too. When you’re behind and are going to lose the game unless you go with higher risk plays, Rivers had the balls to go with the higher risk plays. Fuck stats, he's going for the win.

Tyrod wont do that, he’ll overthrow the ball so nobody can get to it. That’s his history. Fuck the win, protect those stats.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Maybe it's a memory thing but he started doing that around midway 2011 around the time when Dielman and McNeill both got injured. It's one of the reasons Lynn was brought in, to help him curve his turnover issues. And it worked for the first two years.

Note: I forgot how bad his turnovers were in 2011 as well.

image.png

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Article from 2018 about Rivers' gunslinger tendencies and how it had improved under Lynn. The good old days of 2018.
                      Restraint has rejuvenated Philip Rivers’ career, and his progress has keyed the Chargers’ best start in nearly a decade

“When the team was behind or struggling, he always wanted to do too much,” Hardwick said of his teammate from 2004 to 2014. “He always wanted to bring the team back. Now, he understands he has to sit in the chariot and steer the horses around rather than trying to be the chariot and the horses himself.”

Restraint has rejuvenated Rivers’ career. In 2016, he hurled his way to a league-high 21 interceptions as the Chargers skidded through one of the worst two-year stretches in franchise history (9-23). Now settled into Lynn’s system, Rivers is playing his best football at 36 years old. His 26 touchdowns are tied for fourth in the league, and he has matched career bests in completion percentage (69.5) and interception rate (1.7). Last Sunday, he set the NFL single-game record for consecutive completions with 25.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I disagree with this too. When you’re behind and are going to lose the game unless you go with higher risk plays, Rivers had the balls to go with the higher risk plays. Fuck stats, he's going for the win.

Tyrod wont do that, he’ll overthrow the ball so nobody can get to it. That’s his history. Fuck the win, protect those stats.
                        I don't see it like that. Protect the ball. Give the rest of the team & coaches a chance. Ints are a turd in the punchbowl.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I don't see it like that. Protect the ball. Give the rest of the team & coaches a chance. Ints are a turd in the punchbowl.
                          When you're down by two scores with 10 minutes to play, throwing the ball away, not risking a pass to get a first down, thats just giving up.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X