• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Staley is right though. You can’t give up on young kickers too quickly especially one with a leg like his.
    Why? You give up on strong arm qbs that can’t hit the broad side of a barn.

Our season will end because they can’t overcome Viz’s inabilities.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Quite_Frankly View Post

Missing a PAT is one thing. But at that point in the game, in the final 5 minutes of back and forth, and you battled back to potentially tie? That is when you can not miss. that is Crunch time, when you earn your pay. Miss the first PAT of the game, but not one in that situation.

Its weird with kickers. Its all in the mind. Once that doubt creeps in there, how can a coach get it out? You need that hypnotist from The Natural or something.

"We review...
      all the fears and anxiety
      ...which are so
      inherently symptomatic...
      ...of a losing team.
      The mind is a strange thing, men.
      We must begin by asking it...
      ..."What is losing?"

Losing is a disease...
      ...as contagious as polio.
      Losing is a disease...
      ...as contagious as syphilis.
      Losing is a disease...
      ...as contagious as bubonic plague...
      ... attacking one...
      ... but infecting all.
      Ah, but curable.

Now, I want you to imagine...
      ...you are on a ship at sea...
      ...on a vast...
      ...calm ocean...
      ...gently rocking.
      Gently rocking.
      Gently rocking.
      Gently rocking."
      Kickers are definitely the X factor in any football TEAM because their job is so isolated. Holder and snapper too.

Kickers specifically and literally have no business being involved in the game imo
      no advantage in knowing the score or game situation
      It can only hurt or at best be neutral
      I wish coaching staffs would consider putting them in a blue tent (kinda like the concussion protocol tends) for privacy and so they won't be tempted to look at the score.
      put headphones on them with mediation music or guided imagery until it's their turn to kick.
      if it helped them, they would get a signal as to when we're on offense to go through mental preparation for a kick
      But if not, jist a number (kick distance) and a thumbs up to go.

Idk, but I thinknthis would have a chance to help kickers with the mental side of the game. 90% of it is mental imo.
      P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
      P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
      P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
      P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

[QUOTE=Formula 21;n1258549]

Why? You give up on strong arm qbs that can’t hit the broad side of a barn.

Our season will end because they can’t overcome Viz’s inabilities. [/QUOTE

I hear you. But kickers unfortunately are not like the other players. We have given up on young kickers in the recent past (Lambo, Koo) in similar circumstances and they rebounded and played well for other teams. I like what Staley said. Vizcaino is good enough to be the kicker. He needs to work out all these hooks to the left. They can be patient with him a little while longer. Otherwise, they are likely to bring Badgely back.
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
          BetterToday ThanYesterday
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

What do you all make of the Lions coach, Dan Campbell? I had the TV on muted and it looked like he was crying during his presser. So I turned on the sound. I figured maybe he had a sick parent or something. But he was crying because the Lions lost again. Not sure how I feel about that. I guess he is a raw emotion (this is the biting kneecaps coach) type of guy?

Then I saw an uncomfortable, squirming Gruden being peppered with questions about his emails. He said he doesn't want to keep being asked about it. I am sorry, but he doesn't get to make that call. Not on this one in the climate we are currently in.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
            What do you all make of the Lions coach, Dan Campbell? I had the TV on muted and it looked like he was crying during his presser. So I turned on the sound. I figured maybe he had a sick parent or something. But he was crying because the Lions lost again. Not sure how I feel about that. I guess he is a raw emotion (this is the biting kneecaps coach) type of guy?

Then I saw an uncomfortable, squirming Gruden being peppered with questions about his emails. He said he doesn't want to keep being asked about it. I am sorry, but he doesn't get to make that call. Not on this one in the climate we are currently in.

TG
            The Lions coach … I saw that too, it struck me we as weird. Grown ass leaders of men crying on TV just for losing a game in the 5th week of the season and nobody thinks anything of it … what is this world coming to?

I would have rather seen Gruden squirm. He deserves to squirm, the more I think about that email the more I think at a very minimum he’s too stupid to be a leader in the NFL if he didnt realize how racist it appears on its face. Since I don’t think he is stupid, I’m just not buying his explanation of lying = rubber lips = big giant … yeah sure Groot, uh-huh.

Its several leaps of blind faith to be able to get to where his explanation takes us.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

TG
              It was unusual to see an NFL coach cry, but at the same time I think we have to get past the taboo against men crying. Men have emotions and should not be stigmatized when those emotions lead to a few tears. Damn, I wish my father had been able to cry. He was a sergeant in WWII and watched his men get slaughtered on a beach in France then was brutalized by the Germans as a prisoner of war. I don't think he ever cried. He was stoic and of that generation that internalized everything, crying was considered unmanly. It's something real men just did not do. He used alcohol instead to deal with it. Joey Bosa is part of a campaign to remove the stigma of mental health issues and to encourage people to confront it. Crying is a normal emotion for men and women. It's better for one's mental health to have a good cry every once in awhile, instead of holding everything in. It should be OK for men to cry publicly. I cry all the time when I think of my father, who died a broken down alcoholic when I was 15. I can't help it.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

The Lions coach … I saw that too, it struck me we as weird. Grown ass leaders of men crying on TV just for losing a game in the 5th week of the season and nobody thinks anything of it … what is this world coming to?

I would have rather seen Gruden squirm. He deserves to squirm, the more I think about that email the more I think at a very minimum he’s too stupid to be a leader in the NFL if he didnt realize how racist it appears on its face. Since I don’t think he is stupid, I’m just not buying his explanation of lying = rubber lips = big giant … yeah sure Groot, uh-huh.

Its several leaps of blind faith to be able to get to where his explanation takes us.
                Setting aside the racial implications of Gruden's remarks about Smith, what I find most disappointing is Gruden felt it was OK to disparage someone's appearance because he didn't like his position on an issue. It is so juvenile, the type of bullying that is common on comment forums these days. It's something you might expect from a 10 year old, or an adult who has the emotional maturity of a 10 year old. But Gruden was one of the highest profile sports broadcasting figures in the nation, and had been a head coach, and was handed a $100 million contract to coach again. You expect a man like that to have the maturity of an adult, not a child. He apparently made some remarks about Goodell too. I am sure those will be public also. And I'll not be surprised if other instances when Gruden used personal insults to vent his dislike of a person or situation. Things are going to get ugly in Vegas/Raidernation, especially now that Gruden is losing to teams like the Bears at home.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

TG
                  Sorry to see this...
                  Last edited by Topcat; 10-11-2021, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

It was unusual to see an NFL coach cry, but at the same time I think we have to get past the taboo against men crying. Men have emotions and should not be stigmatized when those emotions lead to a few tears. Damn, I wish my father had been able to cry. He was a sergeant in WWII and watched his men get slaughtered on a beach in France then was brutalized by the Germans as a prisoner of war. I don't think he ever cried. He was stoic and of that generation that internalized everything, crying was considered unmanly. It's something real men just did not do. He used alcohol instead to deal with it. Joey Bosa is part of a campaign to remove the stigma of mental health issues and to encourage people to confront it. Crying is a normal emotion for men and women. It's better for one's mental health to have a good cry every once in awhile, instead of holding everything in. It should be OK for men to cry publicly. I cry all the time when I think of my father, who died a broken down alcoholic when I was 15. I can't help it.
                    I don't have a problem with his crying or getting emotional over the loss. I mean - he has said some interesting thing that made him seem like an odd fit for HC> But yesterday, glad he showed a different side. Thats a rough loss. Losing 16-6 - you take the lead after going for 2 and your defense can get a stop to keep them from a 54 yard field goal.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I agree with you. The grandfather always tell our toddler that boys don’t cry. He was a high ranking military officer back in the day. My wife and I always tell our toddler that it is ok to cry and show his emotions. I think it is more detrimental to hold it in.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                        The Precious
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

I don’t have a problem with Campbell getting emotional and at least he gives a shit and is not making excuses or throwing guys under the bus. Anybody that has ever coached anything knows the losses hurt WAY more than the highs you experience when winning just the way it is. As for Gruden I thought his presser was way more cringe and once again a inflated ago takes a man down as it should. Humility is in very short supply these days and I feel no empathy for Jon Gruden and am not surprised one bit by this. Fuck him, fuck Mark Davis and fuck that organization for what they did to a lot of good people in the East Bay let them burn.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

What a contrast.

Staley or Campbell building a good culture.

Vs

Chuckie or Urban full of themselves.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X