• Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Was MGIII really a 1st round talent?
    His career says not even close.
    Not in my book.
    rarely created yardage on his own, which is defining characteristic of a round 1 RB
    He had a great OL in college but I still could have sworn he did that consistently, we just didn’t see him do that consistently in the pros
    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Jeremiah going bonkers this am over your guy Gainwell.
      In spite of the Justin Jackson build,
      Kenneth has excellent YAC numbers from contact balance and deceptive power.
      The elusiveness and explosion is there.

You must have gotten some new glasses. The scouting has improved.

And let me throw this here for Dude n Jolt. Gainwell is 5# lighter and 1" taller than Michael Carter.
      MC has deceptive chonkiness. There are powerful quads there. I do like this guy's hops.

Fellow TarHeel, big bro Javonta Williams, is now borderline round one. Speed + this man breaks tackles !

Just a few bullet points before you have your coffee...

:coffee:
      I don't know if you checked out the film analysis I posted on Gainwell the other day... so I'll post it again in case you're interested.
      This prospect breakdown is from episode 22 of Film Nerds and features Memphis running back, Kenneth Gainwell (2021 NFL Draft eligible). Listen in as the Nerd...

It's 30+ minutes so I'll suggest that you strt watching from about the 8:15 mark... when they really start breaking down what they like from him.

Re: Pushing/Stretching the running lanes... vision... balance... receiving... setting defenders up to gain an extra 9-10 yards... dipping hips... running bigger than his weight...

Comment

• AK47
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Was MGIII really a 1st round talent?
        His career says not even close.
        Last season he was 1TD short of having 3 10-rushing yard seasons in 5 years. Now I'm not saying he's top 10 first round material but I think teams would've still drafted him in the 1st round in hindsight.

So essentially was he 1st round talent when we got him? Nope. Had zero TDs as a rookie. But I gotta give him credit in he improved his game enough to be 1st material in the following seasons.

That said he's had 5-6 seasons of NFL wear and tear and is expensive. Best time to get RBs are on their rookie contracts while still fresh and cheap. I'm not really satisfied with our RB position.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I don't know if you checked out the film analysis I posted on Gainwell the other day... so I'll post it again in case you're interested.
          This prospect breakdown is from episode 22 of Film Nerds and features Memphis running back, Kenneth Gainwell (2021 NFL Draft eligible). Listen in as the Nerd...

It's 30+ minutes so I'll suggest that you strt watching from about the 8:15 mark... when they really start breaking down what they like from him.

Re: Pushing/Stretching the running lanes... vision... balance... receiving... setting defenders up to gain an extra 9-10 yards... dipping hips... running bigger than his weight...
          And that works against the smaller colleges but he will be arm tackled in the NFL. And I'm not trying to take anything away from him.
          Did you happen to see Sproles at Kansas? He was a stud and still a good NFL player but he was annoyingly arm tackled often... And often injured. Never understood Norvs fascination of always running him up the gut asside from hoping he gets lost between the OL lol.

That's my beef with Gainwell, not that he isn't a good athlete and we don't have any bigger RBs.
          Ballage is a FA, not sure he is brought back.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

And that works against the smaller colleges but he will be arm tackled in the NFL. And I'm not trying to take anything away from him.
            Did you happen to see Sproles at Kansas? He was a stud and still a good NFL player but he was annoyingly arm tackled often... And often injured. Never understood Norvs fascination of always running him up the gut asside from hoping he gets lost between the OL lol.

That's my beef with Gainwell, not that he isn't a good athlete and we don't have any bigger RBs.
            Ballage is a FA, not sure he is brought back.
            I think Joe Lombardi will do a lot of the things that Kyle Shanahan does in SF on offense.
            I think Gainwell compares to Raheem Mostert and Matt Breida better than Sproles... although he'll be a better receiver than Mostert/Breida. In that way, he'll be more like Sproles.
            Eventually, Gainwell will play at 205 pounds... he has the 5'11" frame comfortably carry that weight. He'd be a great rotation with Eke, JJ, and Kelly.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Don’t remember much about this kid pre draft but what an idiot
              see you on the Bengals or Chiefs next season
              G-Ro knows.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Not in my book.
                rarely created yardage on his own, which is defining characteristic of a round 1 RB
                He had a great OL in college but I still could have sworn he did that consistently, we just didn’t see him do that consistently in the pros
                I believe Gordon's struggles while with the Chargers were mostly due to poor offensive line play. In 2018, Gordon averaged 5.1 ypc when the Chargers had their best offensive line in years. He also averaged 4.6 ypc in his first year as a Bronco. Although he was never a dominant RB for long stretches, he certainly is talented and he shows this when given adequate line play.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Here is some research on new coaches Shane Day (passing game coordinator/QB's) and Derrick Foster (RB's coach).
                  Day comes over from the 49ers and has coached QB's, RB's, and OL for them over the years.
                  Foster comes over from the Iowa Hawkeyes. Iowa runs an outside zone blocking system. He helped develop RB Tyler Goodson (5'10", 200 lbs.)

Tyler Goodson Sophomore season highlights. 762 Rushing Yards, 152 Receiving Yards, 7 Total Touchdowns. We do not own the copyrights to this footage, it belon...

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

https://sports.yahoo.com/2020-first-...l?guccounter=1

Great physical package just must not have it between the ears or the drive to grind.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• AK47
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

https://sports.yahoo.com/2020-first-...l?guccounter=1

Usually dudes would have some BS I'm sorry I let my team down, my family down PR message. "I'm done with football as a Titan" tells me two things. 1. Kid blames other folks. 2. He must not like being a multi-millionaire pro athlete.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                        Here is some research on new coaches Shane Day (passing game coordinator/QB's) and Derrick Foster (RB's coach).
                        Day comes over from the 49ers and has coached QB's, RB's, and OL for them over the years.
                        Foster comes over from the Iowa Hawkeyes. Iowa runs an outside zone blocking system. He helped develop RB Tyler Goodson (5'10", 200 lbs.)

Tyler Goodson Sophomore season highlights. 762 Rushing Yards, 152 Receiving Yards, 7 Total Touchdowns. We do not own the copyrights to this footage, it belon...
                        Shane Day SF OZB.
                        ​​​​​Frank White LVR Gap/Power.
                        Joe Lombardi NO Gap/Power.

Gonna be interesting.

I am still looking for perfect fit, perfect value.
                        Final decisions...in Cleveland, day before the draft.
                        Looking at draftees and SF, LVR, NO, DEN CHI UFAs.

I would consider giving up @ #45 to move up three spots with DAL, and take Rashawn Slater. Otherwise we are stuck with Cosmi, Darrisaw.

AVT is a nice consolation, although @ #13 is a bit too much PON and not enough BPA IMV.

It is a talent level assessment, and a very tough call. I think I would prefer a talented anchor to numbers. It may include a second splash, an expensive UFA. Rebuild one side, and rebuild it good.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Shane Day SF OZB.
                          ​​​​​Frank White LVR Gap/Power.
                          Joe Lombardi NO Gap/Power.

Gonna be interesting.

I am still looking for perfect fit, perfect value.
                          Final decisions...in Cleveland, day before the draft.
                          Looking at draftees and SF, LVR, NO, DEN CHI UFAs.

I would consider giving up @ #45 to move up three spots with DAL, and take Rashawn Slater. Otherwise we are stuck with Cosmi, Darrisaw.

AVT is a nice consolation, although @ #13 is a bit too much PON and not enough BPA IMV.

It is a talent level assessment, and a very tough call. I think I would prefer a talented anchor to numbers. It may include a second splash, an expensive UFA. Rebuild one side, and rebuild it good.
                          I thnk the 2nd is too steep for Slater - the Chargers have a lot of needs and can't be giving up valuable picks like that. If you miss out on Slater, see if there is a trade back scenario to get more mid round picks. Chargers are not a LT away from being good - plus they need some youth at other positions: CB, DL, Edge players and more OL depth.

I might be willing to part with the Comp 3rd round pick and the TN pick to move up to 10 - thats pretty fair. But a second is way too much.

Comment

Working...
                          X