Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

PFF must have it wrong. Herbert has the most batted passes in the league. And his batted passes have mostly all come on 3rd or 4th down aka the worst possible times.

(click on accuracy and then it shows batted passes)

And short passes have to be a part of an offense. Can’t just throw deep and intermediate all game imo. With Rivers, we had a functional passing offense at all three phases (short, intermediate and deep).
    Or PFR has it wrong. It depends on who is counting and what do they count. At this point, it is not clear what either list represents. That is particularly true since batted passes is NOT an official (NFL sanctioned) statistic.

What is not clear to me is why being among the top teams in terms of deflections is such a big deal??????? Again, looking at his 2 seasons, he was in the middle of the pack last year, top of the pack this year?

It is not like the Chargers aren't working on improving Herbrt's game in all areas. The Chargers are like every other NFL team. They film and study EVERYTHING. They study every rep, in every game, of every team they play. They study every rep of our players in practice. Every drill rep. And it is not like this is a new thing, NFL teams have been doing this stuff for YEARS. They will look at everything and see if it is something they can fix, but more importantly if it is something that NEEDS fixing.

Some other notes:
    1). Of the top 4 teams on deflections, they all have tall QB in there. So clearly, height has little or nothing to do with it. Furthermore, many of the bottom teams have short QB (Tua in Miami, for instance).

2). The list just has the total number of deflections. That may be accurate, but it is misleading, as the more you throw the more likely you are to have more passes deflected.

3). It is not like you are talking about a large percentage of passes being deflected, on either list. Even the top teams are about 1 pass per game. Considering the overall count, it's not very clear how significant the batted passes are. Going back to 2020, he was in the middle of the pack, despite having a lot of attempts. That suggests it is just luck, if the number varies wildly from year to year, instead of being systematic.

4). No one is suggesting giving up short passes. I am suggesting deeper drops in the setup and mixing more deep routes into the playcalling to keep the D off balance. If they know they have to defend deep passes as part of the play calling, they cannot JUST play short passes, which is part of what was happening earlier this season.

We play a variant of the West Coast offense, which means lots of vertical stretches. That means a receiver short, medium and long routes layered to get open in succession (think 1st, 2nd and 3rd reads in a given play). The short passes will come still be part of it, only you get more out of them. Hit a guy like Ekeler short, underneath, he won't get much if the D is all doing short drops and clogging the passing lanes to defend the quick passing. However, throw to Ekeler short with WR running the S off deep, and a TE running a medium out-route to keep the CB outside, now Ekeler has a lot of space vs the LB, and that is where his big plays come (YAC).

The Chargers are also big on using a lot of short crossing routes, which while they are short routes in terms of distance, are deeper routes in terms of how long they take to develop. If the secondary is dropping deep to defend some receivers, then it opens up the underneath routes.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Good catch, I edited the post.
      Yeah, but how much money did the Spanii make in his 9 years. There’s where TT’s value lies. Screw wins and losses.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Dolphins Brian Flores fired. A surprise, but he only beats the Pats.

Vikings Zimmer, Bears Nagy, Broncos Fangio fired, but expected. Add the openings for Raiders and Jags, but I think Bisaccia might stay.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
          Dolphins Brian Flores fired. A surprise, but he only beats the Pats.

Vikings Zimmer, Bears Nagy, Broncos Fangio fired, but expected. Add the openings for Raiders and Jags, but I think Bisaccia might stay.
          I am surprised about Flores.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

The main thing I want for them to do this offseason is for Staley to put his ego in the back seat and hire Fangio. Leave the defensive play calling to Fangio and focus on all phases even more. And groom Jay Rodgers to be the next DC.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
              The main thing I want for them to do this offseason is for Staley to put his ego in the back seat and hire Fangio. Leave the defensive play calling to Fangio and focus on all phases even more. And groom Jay Rodgers to be the next DC.
              Easier said than done. I'm not sure I agree with some saying Staley has an ego. More fan speak in my opinion

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Its a pipe dream bringing in Fangio.....he doesn't fit the Charger culture - give it a rest.

The guess who isn't a match game

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

The Chargers are a young vibrant organization with new ideas......like fucking going for it on 4rth & 1 on your 19 yard line, down by 3 points in the 3rd quarter.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                    The Chargers are a young vibrant organization with new ideas......like fucking going for it on 4rth & 1 on your 19 yard line, down by 3 points in the 3rd quarter.
                    And giving snaps to Storm, CHJ & K9.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Easier said than done. I'm not sure I agree with some saying Staley has an ego. More fan speak in my opinion
                      Staley might feel over matched with Fangio in the room.....i doubt he feels comfortable in that position.

They need to bring in some vet coach who has some influence and can be a sounding board.
                      I think it is a big problem....like having an offensive line filled with young players playing out of position: something they seem to have liked in the past.:Beer1:

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I am surprised about Flores.
                        Has to have germinated, grown from Tua vs Deshaun @ trade deadline.

Shades of AJ/Marty ?

How about Reich/Ballard ? (soon)
                        Rhule/Fitterer ? (soon)

Yesterday/'21 season was shit.
                        Yet LAC future looks bright.
                        Strange days.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

And giving snaps to Storm, CHJ & K9.
                          Hard to fathom. Difficult to understand the thinking.

Comment

Working...
                          X