• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by RyanLeaf4President View Post
    I want Tyrod to start next year and Rivers to go somewhere like the Colts. Just so we can see Rivers play at a high level, and see Chargers go 1-15 under Tyrod. Then we can see what all the "Bench Rivers for Tyrod" people have to say.

Tyrod is a back up QB for a reason. It's crazy people think that putting him back there behind that line = more wins, just because he's mobile. So now instead of having Rivers sacked after the snap, we have a QB who runs for a bit and then gets sacked/throws it away?
    I would really like to see how Rivers does behind that stout Colts O-line. I think he'd do well, for the most part. But why is it I still get that nagging feeling that in some close games, he might revert back to his "hero ball" ways?

Comment

• RyanLeaf4President
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I would really like to see how Rivers does behind that stout Colts O-line. I think he'd do well, for the most part. But why is it I still get that nagging feeling that in some close games, he might revert back to his "hero ball" ways?
      Agree. I don’t think Rivers is flawless. He’s had many mistakes that were on him. But I don’t think this year’s results were completely at his fault.

I’ve come to terms that he’ll likely never get a ring. I think he’s going to need a 2015 manning situation where he’s got a top defense and decent run game. Don’t think Colts are a QB away from being that. But, I’d like to see him go somewhere else and flourish his last few years, to shut all the haters up.

Comment

• foreigner
        Tom Telesco is gone
        • Sep 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
        So many people are clamoring for Tyrod Taylor. I don't know what the folks who do this obsession is with the guy. It's like they want him to be their boyfriend. I'm not going for it.
        Something I don't understand either.... the guy has had plenty of chances in more than one team.... the guy is nothing more than a backup for a mobile type QB....

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
          So many people are clamoring for Tyrod Taylor. I don't know what the folks who do this obsession is with the guy. It's like they want him to be their boyfriend. I'm not going for it.
          These are the same people that were clamoring for Charlie Whitehurst. I have no idea what is going on with them but it appears it is legal in California to ingest.

Comment

• Kingcrimson
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post

Something I don't understand either.... the guy has had plenty of chances in more than one team.... the guy is nothing more than a backup for a mobile type QB....
            This is a topic I doubt either side would even acknowledge each other’s points. I would love to re-sign Rivers again for a year BUT WITH O-LINE IMPROVEMENTS.

I’m also not opposed to starting Taylor and becoming a run-first offense. Who knows maybe this is what TT was talking about when he said we need players who fit the scheme.

Like I repeatedly explain... it’s not that complicated to understand the fascination with Taylor... what’s Rivers 2 most obvious flaws? His immobility and him turning the ball over right? Taylor is mobile. Doesn’t turn the ball over. People ignore the other aspects of his game and solely focus on those two. Not ideal, but not difficult to understand why people want him to start.

Comment

• Berserker76
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Rivers wouldn't even move to LA, a 2 hour drive from his San Diego home, but is willing to play for another team out of state? Don't get that. I'm pretty sure he won't be able to do his daily commute from San Diego if that is the case.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post

This is a topic I doubt either side would even acknowledge each other’s points. I would love to re-sign Rivers again for a year BUT WITH O-LINE IMPROVEMENTS.

I’m also not opposed to starting Taylor and becoming a run-first offense. Who knows maybe this is what TT was talking about when he said we need players who fit the scheme.

Like I repeatedly explain... it’s not that complicated to understand the fascination with Taylor... what’s Rivers 2 most obvious flaws? His immobility and him turning the ball over right? Taylor is mobile. Doesn’t turn the ball over. People ignore the other aspects of his game and solely focus on those two. Not ideal, but not difficult to understand why people want him to start.
                Those of us strongly opposed to starting Taylor understand your points and still think it would be a big mistake to go with him at QB. Yes he is more mobile, yet has been sacked at nearly twice the rate that Rivers has been in his career. We'd be in long yardage situations all game long. And he doesn't turn the ball over because he refuses to pass the ball if his primary receiver is not wide open. Someone in another thread called it criminal that Rivers average less than 2 TD passes per game this season, yet Taylor has averaged 0.77 TD passes per game for his career. He has been let go and benched by multiple teams for a reason. He is fine as a backup, but I just don't see the fascination with this guy.

Comment

• Kingcrimson
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Those of us strongly opposed to starting Taylor understand your points and still think it would be a big mistake to go with him at QB. Yes he is more mobile, yet has been sacked at nearly twice the rate that Rivers has been in his career. We'd be in long yardage situations all game long. And he doesn't turn the ball over because he refuses to pass the ball if his primary receiver is not wide open. Someone in another thread called it criminal that Rivers average less than 2 TD passes per game this season, yet Taylor has averaged 0.77 TD passes per game for his career. He has been let go and benched by multiple teams for a reason. He is fine as a backup, but I just don't see the fascination with this guy.
                  No no, I totally agree with you. I’m just saying most people who are sick of Rivers doing those two things: getting sacked because he’s basically immobile, and throwing interceptions, completely ignore any other aspect of being a quarterback. They solely only look at those two things. He’s been benched because he’s a low ceiling guy. Will neither win, nor lose you games. Which, again, is what all those experts, analysts, and fans use as reasoning.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post

He had one very good year with Buffalo (I think when Greg Roman was the OC?). But after that, other teams figured him out and he was mediocre. Became afraid to take chances and played not to lose. So they lost. And he lost his job. His trial with Cleveland should not count. For anyone who plays in Cleveland.

Rivers is immobile, yes. But he avoids a lot of sacks by putting the team in the right plays and protections and making good reads and still has fast decision making and a quick release. Taylor can run around but he cannot do the other stuff.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post

The Chargers best option for success - if Dean wants to impress in Stans house and even outshine Stan (the Rams are in horrible cap shape without draft picks - they can mortgage the future to get cap space, hard to manufacture draft picks) - so the Chargers have a chance to be the best team in So-FI

That being said - a few things must happen
                      - special teams get better
                      - shore up DT and LB a bit. Too the point , with Adderley hopefully healthy, Phillips back - am fine with not adding a DB until Round 5 or so of the draft if need be
                      - fix the damn OL and to properly fix the OL
                      - sign Rivers but he is going to have to give a good deal realizing they signed OL

If TT and Lynn do the above - they will be better than the Rams next year - health willing.

Comment

• RyanLeaf4President
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post
                        Rivers wouldn't even move to LA, a 2 hour drive from his San Diego home, but is willing to play for another team out of state? Don't get that. I'm pretty sure he won't be able to do his daily commute from San Diego if that is the case.
                        To be honest I think Rivers just hates LA and hated the move, so that was his “fuck you” to Dean. He said he is going to play next year as long as someone wants him, so he’s clearly fine with moving.

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
                          San Diego Native
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Farmington, NM
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post
                          Maybe he didn't move because it was only 2 hrs. A 2 hr commute may not have been worth disturbing the family or investing in property in LA.

I've had SD commutes (South Bay to North County and back) that took more than 2 hrs one way (knock off traffic I-15 south from Vista to the I-8 could sometimes take more that 2 hrs). It was more efficient (cost, lifestyle, and family disturbance) for me to live on one end of the county and work on the other.

Maybe Philip felt the same.

Comment

Working...
                          X