Defensive and Offensive Line Improvements?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChargersPowderBlue
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Oline must be addressed, but must be addressed realistically.

I disagree with most re Okung, Tevi and Pipkins. If we really listen to TT, we'll hear what he is saying too about the Chargers plans.There's the OT position that most want to address at 6, before we then go all crazed in rounds 2 thru 7 inclusive, and free agency.
    First, is Rivers coming back? Good chance he will. The organization isn't going into the new stadium with Tyrod or Easton at the helm. Besides, the team needs to win when they move to the new stadium. They really need to now. They have a much better chance of accomplishing that with Rivers still around.

Yeah we need an OT. But does the team have the patience to wait on a young OT? They've already been waiting for a player like Lamp to break out. I don't think management wants to waste any more time with Rivers. Fans know this too, you can't waste any more years with Rivers. Will any OT in the draft give an immediate impact? If not, look for one in FA.

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

So Tommyjohns lame assness has put our team in a hole.May take a few drafts to fix their fuq ups.So be it.Better then turning our heads and pretending their is no problem like last season.
    They were hoping for a team trending upwards that might fulfill a championship aspiration. Was their aim too high? Instead, what they got was a borderline unimpressive train wreck.

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Dline depth chart prospectus:

NT * Danny Shelton, Sylvester Williams, Justin Jones, Leki Fotu
      DT * Derrick Brown, Jerry Tillery, Cortez Broughton
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
        Dline depth chart prospectus:

NT * Danny Shelton, Sylvester Williams, Justin Jones, Leki Fotu
        DT * Derrick Brown, Jerry Tillery, Cortez Broughton
        How many are you cutting? Cannot have 7 DTs on the roster.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

How many are you cutting? Cannot have 7 DTs on the roster.
          am making Shelton a solid offer in FA.... 2 years, $3m/year ?? if he takes it, he's a Charger, if not I move onto the draft and am good w/Sly playing @the nose.

in the draft would hope for D. Brown round one, and Fotu day three, and.... you and eye both know what the chances of that are.

all in all will hope to end up w/@least one additional DT on top of our group of Sly, JJ, Jerry 'n Cortez....

unfortunately Tillery has been and likely will continue to be more of a nonfactor than not, and JJ is similarly a rotational player on the IDL.... not sure 'bout Cortez, and....

if we add two of the abovementioned, will be happy to let things play out in camp.
          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

am making Shelton a solid offer in FA.... 2 years, $3m/year ?? if he takes it, he's a Charger, if not I move onto the draft and am good w/Sly playing @the nose.

in the draft would hope for D. Brown round one, and Fotu day three, and.... you and eye both know what the chances of that are.

all in all will hope to end up w/@least one additional DT on top of our group of Sly, JJ, Jerry 'n Cortez....

unfortunately Tillery has been and likely will continue to be more of a nonfactor than not, and JJ is similarly a rotational player on the IDL.... not sure 'bout Cortez, and....

if we add two of the abovementioned, will be happy to let things play out in camp.
            Have you looked at Michael Pierce DT Ravens? He will be a FA. Rotational NT for Baltimore and he is young, STOUT against the run, and will not break the bank to sign.
            If you’re looking for a run plugger DT/NT this is a good draft. Lots of those on day 3.
            Last edited by like54ninjas; 01-14-2020, 03:15 PM.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

OTE=beachcomber;n904685]

if we add two of the abovementioned, will be happy to let things play out in camp.[/QUOTE]

Still don't get the Sheldon love. He wouldn't be a FA if he were the difference maker you make him out to be. He was a end of FA'cy signing to boot.

I'd give him what NE gave him.....a 1 year , 1 mill cheap deal IF I signed him at all.
              You want to give him 3 mil a year? Hell yeah he will accept that, because nobody else has.offered that.

I'm thinking IF we draft another DT, it will be 1 not 2 and I hope we draft a EDGE rusher.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-14-2020, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Still don't get the Sheldon love. He wouldn't be a FA if he were the difference maker you make him out to be. He was a end of FA'cy signing to boot.

I'd give him what NE gave him.....a 1 year , 1 mill cheap deal IF I signed him at all.
                You want to give him 3 mil a year? Hell yeah he will accept that, because nobody else has.offered that.

I'm thinking IF we draft another DT, it will be 1 not 2 and I hope we draft a EDGE rusher.
                yeah, you're right.... don't know how I've already forgotten the gouging given him/them by Derrick Henry.... (was prolly reveling in early season reports that Shelton had shed a new leaf in his game/career)

who do you like as an edge rusher/LEO for us ?? are you into moving Melvin a year early for a pick ??

def a hole on the depth chart behind Supa Mel....

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

yeah, you're right.... don't know how I've already forgotten the gouging given him/them by Derrick Henry.... (was prolly reveling in early season reports that Shelton had shed a new leaf in his game/career)

who do you like as an edge rusher/LEO for us ?? are you into moving Melvin a year early for a pick ??

def a hole on the depth chart behind Supa Mel....
                  I'm of the opinion that the best way to better the Chargers defense is the ability to mix our coverages. The Chargers have got to be able to play man coverage, to mix with existing Cover 3 shell scheme. This improves the pass rush.

I go CB in the 1st Round, QB in the 2nd, OT in the 3rd, DT in the 4th Center in the 5th.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Jeff Okudah CB
                    OHIO STATE • JR • 6'1" / 200 LBS

Clemson receivers admit privately they struggled with Ohio St. man coverage.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...tic-tight-end/

Al Davis was correct on one axiom. He preached building with OT and CBs first. That philosophy earned him 3 Super Bowl trophies. I wonder if Telesco ever heard of it....
                    Last edited by ghost; 01-15-2020, 12:09 AM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                      Jeff Okudah CB
                      OHIO STATE • JR • 6'1" / 200 LBS

Clemson receivers admit privately they struggled with Ohio St. man coverage.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...tic-tight-end/

Al Davis was correct on one axiom. He preached building with OT and CBs first. That philosophy earned him 3 Super Bowl trophies. I wonder if Telesco ever heard of it....
                      He also proposed building a stadium in a rock quarry in Irwindale,
                      used an overhead projector to explain his firing of Lane Kiffin in the era of power point presentations,
                      and presented Lance Alworth at Bambi's HOF ceremony.

we play modern defensive football...
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Danny Shelton is the immovable object type of NT. So I get the idea of him being the star run defender.

The problem with the image of Shelton is that it completely ignores what it takes to play good D. He is just not a great defender in todays game, and I am not talking about just his lack of pass rush. He is not a great run defender either. Good, but he got chewed up against the top notch run blockers. This was a down year for him, but he has never been great.

Shelton is gotten to the point where when he plays well, he gets low and can be immovable. However, he misses tackles and spends too much time catching blockers, instead of attacking them. He is a very passive, fire out late kind of player, and that let Ben Jones (Titans starting Center), to fire out and get under him, so he looked like he played the game on roller skates.

Shelton did improve his pass rushing the last couple of years. He is mostly just pushing weaker players back into the QB on 3 step and 5 quick, early down passes. Useful to a point, but it makes him a liability vs play action and any sort of moving QB, even just QB who can slide and step around him.

Shelton also adds nothing to being able to penetrate and get negative yards in the running game. Tenn did an outstanding job of penetrating and attacking on 2nd and 3rd downs when the Ravens were staying on schedule on 1st downs. They did it by penentrating and hitting the Ravens runners behind the line. If you want to stop a running game, that is a big part of how it is going to happen.

Too many 2 gap teams stuggle and/or wear down by the end of the season. I think that was part of NE problem vs Tenn. Their tired and just not explosive after a season of slamming into and taking on blocks. 1 Gap teams might not be as stout, but the players tend not to take quite the beating and are somewhat fresher. plus the supply of them is just so much better. Any player who can 2 gap, can also play in a 1 gap scheme, although maybe only in a gap control role.

It is also going to be a waste to add 2 NT, when we are going to be playing teams that mostly play 3 WR. Is it worth hoarding NT who won't even being on the field?

A big part of a potential improvement is to get our shitty LB off the field and get our faster DB back on. It improves our team speed and it makes us better vs the run and pass. More Dime.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

He also proposed building a stadium in a rock quarry in Irwindale,
                          used an overhead projector to explain his firing of Lane Kiffin in the era of power point presentations,
                          and presented Lance Alworth at Bambi's HOF ceremony.

we play modern defensive football...
                          LOL...I remember that...The Raiders were in L.A., and Davis was threatening to leave L.A. and go back to Oakland, which they eventually did. In the meantime, he toyed with the Irwindale city council, floating the idea of moving there...of course, the Irwindale head honchos were ecstatic...Davis demanded a NON-REFUNDABLE $10 million dollar (a lot of dough back then) good faith deposit to move the Raiders to Irwindale, which they paid...then there was some environmental impact issue which halted any progress on a stadium being built...David laughed all the way to the bank and left for Oakland...

Comment

Working...
                          X