• Show
Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

These arguments seem to be 6 of 1 or half dozen of another. Wether it was poor Oline play, PR doing late changes/giving away snap count/being as agile as a desert tortoise, or a combination of both (most likely). It’s now a new year, new players @ QB & 2 Olinemen, new coach in Campen, and new / adjusted scheme. We’ll see in a few weeks how we stack up.
    Last edited by like54ninjas; 08-24-2020, 04:21 PM.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
      These arguments seem to be 6 of 1 or half dozen of another. Wether it was poor Oline play, PR doing late changes/giving away snap count/being as agile as a dessert tortoise, or a combination of both (most likely). It’s now a new year, new players @ QB & 2 Olinemen, new coach in Campen, and new / adjusted scheme. We’ll see in a few weeks how we stack up.
      It's never all bad on one side & perfect on the other.
      This year we can be sure it will be different than last.
      Odds are good that the OL will be better. Not perfect but better.
      Similarly, the odds are good that the QB won't throw for as many yards or ints but Chargers will win more games.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

It's never all bad on one side & perfect on the other.
        This year we can be sure it will be different than last.
        Odds are good that the OL will be better. Not perfect but better.
        Similarly, the odds are good that the QB won't throw for as many yards or ints but Chargers will win more games.
        Well stated and I concur.

We look to be a more physical team on both sides of the ball. I’ll take physical and fast all day long.

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Those young guys should be better this year simply because of what they learned last year. The only one I don't have much faith in is Tevi. I find it hard to believe that a guy who was a bad RT will become a good LT. Feeney will be better with Pouncy next to him but the LT position scares me.

I'm anxious to see the young guys. I'm high on Murray - he should help a lot with the short pass defense. He'll make mistakes but he'll improve as the season goes along. I'm anxious to see the players I hoped the Bolts would draft that are on other teams - it's the best way to know how good your evaluation is of the players in each draft. Bring on Football!
          We're using the reverse Peter Principal. Promote a guy into a position of competence.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post
            I want Rivers to do well too but you guys are wildly overestimating old man Rivers. This is not the same guy from a few years ago, good oline or not.

I'm also on record as saying that Rivers made our oline look worse than it actually was. We will learn alot on both ends this season.

I'll also gentleman bet you guys that an older Brady and a lesser oline will end up with a better record.
            Don't agree. It was bad!

Comment

• Budsman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Don't agree. It was bad!
              Agree rivers quick release and veteran experience makes an oline look better not worse. The problem is he wasn’t Jesus and couldn’t throw the ball in 2 seconds.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

Agree rivers quick release and veteran experience makes an oline look better not worse. The problem is he wasn’t Jesus and couldn’t throw the ball in 2 seconds.
                True but Phil is unable to move well even inside the pocket any more. Oline play was not great certainly but we’ll see what a mobile QB can do to manufacture an extra second to let routes develop, along with a better Oline, plus a stronger running game

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• Budsman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

True but Phil is unable to move well even inside the pocket any more. Oline play was not great certainly but we’ll see what a mobile QB can do to manufacture an extra second to let routes develop, along with a better Oline, plus a stronger running game
                  No doubt the better oline play will help anyone back there. Mobile qbs have their strengths, they also have their weaknesses. If we had Mahomes back there it would be one thing, but tyrod? I’m not confident. Hopefully he can manage an offense well and our defense can play at a top 5 level. If Herbert can be something special he could have it all. Here is hoping. I wasn’t a fan of the pick but I’ll be happy to be proven wrong.

We also get to see if PR can excel in Indy. Imho that’s the real barometer of if last season was PR decline or a horrible supporting cast. He has the tools needed to succeed in Indy and if he performs like 2019 then we will know he is shot, if he lights it up we know our fo and coaching staff are to blame.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

No doubt the better oline play will help anyone back there. Mobile qbs have their strengths, they also have their weaknesses. If we had Mahomes back there it would be one thing, but tyrod? I’m not confident. Hopefully he can manage an offense well and our defense can play at a top 5 level. If Herbert can be something special he could have it all. Here is hoping. I wasn’t a fan of the pick but I’ll be happy to be proven wrong.

We also get to see if PR can excel in Indy. Imho that’s the real barometer of if last season was PR decline or a horrible supporting cast. He has the tools needed to succeed in Indy and if he performs like 2019 then we will know he is shot, if he lights it up we know our fo and coaching staff are to blame.
                    I’d say “kind of”
                    theres more (a lot more) that went into the decision to move on, other than, “can Rivers still play well enough in 2020 with tools like the Colts’, specifically the Oline (I’m assuming you’re referring to?)
                    I promised myself I wouldn’t touch this topic again, but I have to say that it wouldn’t be realistic to expect and count on the FO to suddenly have a comparable Oline to the Colts for one, while also addressing other needs.

imho, Rivers can have a good year and it could very well still have been the right decision to move on.
                    in fact, I expect him to

now, if he suddenly is in the running for MVP and they are blowing teams out of the water with no signs of struggling with turnovers then sure, we fucked up, and I’ll admit that as someone who was firmly on the “move on” camp.

it’s a bit subjective but will make for some good debate right??
                    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I’d say “kind of”
                      theres more (a lot more) that went into the decision to move on, other than, “can Rivers still play well enough in 2020 with tools like the Colts’, specifically the Oline (I’m assuming you’re referring to?)
                      I promised myself I wouldn’t touch this topic again, but I have to say that it wouldn’t be realistic to expect and count on the FO to suddenly have a comparable Oline to the Colts for one, while also addressing other needs.

imho, Rivers can have a good year and it could very well still have been the right decision to move on.
                      in fact, I expect him to

now, if he suddenly is in the running for MVP and they are blowing teams out of the water with no signs of struggling with turnovers then sure, we fucked up, and I’ll admit that as someone who was firmly on the “move on” camp.

it’s a bit subjective but will make for some good debate right??
                      I saw some years where andrew luck had a worse oline than we had. He was literally being swallowed alive and still making plays. Rivers is lucky that he gets to finish his career with a top ten oline. Maybe ours becomes top 15 but like you said there was a ton of holes elsewhere and we filled those with his departure and $25 mil savings...
                      Basically we could not fix everything through the draft over the next two years and pay you and still be a competitive team...we might not have rivers panache but we certainly drafted his younger replacement.
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Just ran across this fun Rivers interview with Dan Patrick...

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Thanks, good interview.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...