Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

The key is to recapture, as much as we can, what took place the first year in BUF.

Further study and analysis to follow.

Hopefully Tyrod can grow along with Steichen.
      The 52 turnovers by rivers is fucking ugly! More than 1 per game.
      Have no idea what Taylor will be able to do but turnovers cost games.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Those stats are shocking.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

I'm remembering how many passes PR threw to WR's that well covered and I'm wondering can Tyrod be that precise? Rivers seldom had a receiver that was wide open because our two top receivers aren't speedy. I hope I'm wrong but I really do not think Tyrod will be the answer.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
            I'm remembering how many passes PR threw to WR's that well covered and I'm wondering can Tyrod be that precise? Rivers seldom had a receiver that was wide open because our two top receivers aren't speedy. I hope I'm wrong but I really do not think Tyrod will be the answer.
            Anyone that has watched Taylor play already knows the answer to this - he just won’t ever attempt to fit a pass in a tight window. If your sole goal is to reduce turnover, at the expense of more sacks, fewer first downs, fewer TDS than he is your guy. But if you have to take a chance to try and out score a team like the Chiefs, sorry - he’ll be left in the dust.

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Tyrod had a 92.5 passer career rating as Bills QB

Rivers had a 95.1 passer career rating as Chargers QB.

Tyrod doesn't force ball into small windows or throw the rock 50/50 up for grabs jump balls.
              If its not open he tucks and runs or buys time and throws to open target.
              Not sure why that's a bad thing.

Rivers led offense over past 5 seasons
              2015. 20pts a game
              2016. 25pts a game
              2017. 22pts a game
              2018. 27pts a game
              2019. 21pts a game

Tyrod led offense for 3 years with Bills.
              2015. 24pts a game
              2016. 25pts a game
              2017. 19pts a game

So if we are worried about enough points to beat Kansas City....Rivers was not going to be able to match Mahomes. And Tyrod cannot match Mahomes. But we can not give more possession to the Chiefs by protecting the rock...something Tyrod typically does. And that can help beat them.

It about finding ways to win.

Protect the rock.
              Run the football.
              Move the chains.
              Play great defense.
              Play great special teams.
              QB makes a game winning play in close games either with arm or legs.
              Who has it better than us?

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                Tyrod had a 92.5 passer career rating as Bills QB

Rivers had a 95.1 passer career rating as Chargers QB.

Tyrod doesn't force ball into small windows or throw the rock 50/50 up for grabs jump balls.
                If its not open he tucks and runs or buys time and throws to open target.
                Not sure why that's a bad thing.

Rivers led offense over past 5 seasons
                2015. 20pts a game
                2016. 25pts a game
                2017. 22pts a game
                2018. 27pts a game
                2019. 21pts a game

Tyrod led offense for 3 years with Bills.
                2015. 24pts a game
                2016. 25pts a game
                2017. 19pts a game

So if we are worried about enough points to beat Kansas City....Rivers was not going to be able to match Mahomes. And Tyrod cannot match Mahomes. But we can not give more possession to the Chiefs by protecting the rock...something Tyrod typically does. And that can help beat them.

It about finding ways to win.

Protect the rock.
                Run the football.
                Move the chains.
                Play great defense.
                Play great special teams.
                QB makes a game winning play in close games either with arm or legs.
                Stats are wonderful and useful to cherry pick to prove a point - I do it all the time!

I have a good friend from northern NY and we watched a ton of the games during Taylor's time in Buffalo. Here is the reality which people who have not watched him play much will soon see if he is our starting QB next year - he really is just not that good. He was forced to take a massive pay reduction after his second year as a starter in Buffalo or they were going to cut him. He agreed to it and then was benched in his 3rd year because of lack of production by the offense. He's had nagging injuries every year he was a starter and missed at least one game in each season. So yeah, he won't turn it over like Rivers did last year but we are just going nowhere with him. If we draft a QB, he'll likely start as Daniel Jeremiah thinks that only Burrows and maybe Herbert of all of the rookie QBs are the only ones who could start this year. He also said he'd WAY rather trade a low to mid round pick to the Bengals for Andy Dalton and start him than to start Taylor. Think about that!

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Stats are wonderful and useful to cherry pick to prove a point - I do it all the time!

I have a good friend from northern NY and we watched a ton of the games during Taylor's time in Buffalo. Here is the reality which people who have not watched him play much will soon see if he is our starting QB next year - he really is just not that good. He was forced to take a massive pay reduction after his second year as a starter in Buffalo or they were going to cut him. He agreed to it and then was benched in his 3rd year because of lack of production by the offense. He's had nagging injuries every year he was a starter and missed at least one game in each season. So yeah, he won't turn it over like Rivers did last year but we are just going nowhere with him. If we draft a QB, he'll likely start as Daniel Jeremiah thinks that only Burrows and maybe Herbert of all of the rookie QBs are the only ones who could start this year. He also said he'd WAY rather trade a low to mid round pick to the Bengals for Andy Dalton and start him than to start Taylor. Think about that!
                  Forget stats.
                  And forget pundits who have not been on the sidelines.
                  And forget about the opinion of your good friend from NY who watches lots of games.

Rex Ryan former NFL HC & DC recently ripped Rivers.
                  He was asked about where Brady should go........to paraphrase...he said Chargers would be a perfect fit. Brady will do a lot of different things as QB to help them win and they have a lot of talent on that team and a great coach. Rex also said Brady isn't going to go 5O protection every play like Rivers and turn it over every other snap late in games. Yes Rex statement was hyperbole..but he was making his point about QB play.

lets bring back stats.
                  Wins & losses.
                  Over that past 5 years both Tyrod & Philips were 2 games above .500
                  at the end of the day its about W/L.

So......i agree with you.......they probably are not going anywhere with Tyrod....but they also went nowhere special with Rivers......so....
                  Who has it better than us?

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Looking forward to a different signal caller!

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Forget stats.
                      And forget pundits who have not been on the sidelines.
                      And forget about the opinion of your good friend from NY who watches lots of games.

Rex Ryan former NFL HC & DC recently ripped Rivers.
                      He was asked about where Brady should go........to paraphrase...he said Chargers would be a perfect fit. Brady will do a lot of different things as QB to help them win and they have a lot of talent on that team and a great coach. Rex also said Brady isn't going to go 5O protection every play like Rivers and turn it over every other snap late in games. Yes Rex statement was hyperbole..but he was making his point about QB play.

lets bring back stats.
                      Wins & losses.
                      Over that past 5 years both Tyrod & Philips were 2 games above .500
                      at the end of the day its about W/L.

So......i agree with you.......they probably are not going anywhere with Tyrod....but they also went nowhere special with Rivers......so....
                      Rex also thought he'd have won multiple super bowls if he was out coach.

I understand why they moved on from Rivers (or Rivers moved on from the team as a recent article hinted), but it is time for a new QB, not a journeyman like Taylor. I just don't want to waste a year on Taylor unless we draft a QB that absolutely isn't ready to start.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        Looking forward to a different signal caller!
                        I really hope we don't draft Hurts but if we do, it will be an ironic switch of positions for me to be the one nitpicking every single thing our QB does wrong and you defending him!

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I really hope we don't draft Hurts but if we do, it will be an ironic switch of positions for me to be the one nitpicking every single thing our QB does wrong and you defending him!
                          lol. But hey, as long as we’re winning I really don’t care!

Comment

Working...
                          X