• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Budsman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post

Yeah, because most teams that draft a QB high in the first round have a "real starter" already. Draft Herbert in the first round or Eason/Love in the second and let them sit for at least half a season
    My point exactly, we don’t. Therefore you play the rookie to not waste learning time. If you have a Favre in front of them you let them sit, if you have a Tyrod Taylor you don’t, see browns for that mistake.

Most high draft picks should be ready to start day one, if not then why were they drafted that high?

If you draft love at two than fine he’s less of an investment.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Guys who sit for a year or two can take their mechanics apart, and rebuild it from the ground up. Hebert has pretty good mechanics. He goes to pieces under pressure and makes horrible decisions. Love is somewhat different, but it is largely based on poor decision making. I don't think you can necessarily fix bad decisions.

I know a lot of baseball teams have given up trying to fix guys who love bad pitches. They have been trying to coach it out of players, and for the most part teams have not managed to do it. So they just figure it is an innate trait, and you have to live with it, or find someone else.

I think bad decision making QB are largely the same way. If they are not reading defenses, then you can teach them to read defenses. You can make them more accurate by improving their mechanics, and some QB just get better when they have thrown the passes in the playbook a thousand times a year in practice year after year. But guys who like to ignore the read and force the ball anyway are probably always going to do that.

I don't know that it is true, but if it is, there is no hope for guys like Hebert and Love. You just have to give up, or except what they do and only use them as backup (and draft them in a later round).

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

As far as Taylor's past performances, his problem is not the mistakes that people see, it's the ones that don't show up on the stats sheet.

Taylor is very protective of the football. He will be able to move, but they never scored a lot of points. He isn't going to make contested throws, and he misses receviers who break open late. At some point, a starting QB has to take some calculated risks. Taylor won't. It keep him from turning the ball over, but it also means he will never make some of the plays he needs to in order to be a top notch guy.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Guys who sit for a year or two can take their mechanics apart, and rebuild it from the ground up. Hebert has pretty good mechanics. He goes to pieces under pressure and makes horrible decisions. Love is somewhat different, but it is largely based on poor decision making. I don't think you can necessarily fix bad decisions.

I know a lot of baseball teams have given up trying to fix guys who love bad pitches. They have been trying to coach it out of players, and for the most part teams have not managed to do it. So they just figure it is an innate trait, and you have to live with it, or find someone else.

I think bad decision making QB are largely the same way. If they are not reading defenses, then you can teach them to read defenses. You can make them more accurate by improving their mechanics, and some QB just get better when they have thrown the passes in the playbook a thousand times a year in practice year after year. But guys who like to ignore the read and force the ball anyway are probably always going to do that.

I don't know that it is true, but if it is, there is no hope for guys like Hebert and Love. You just have to give up, or except what they do and only use them as backup (and draft them in a later round).
          Can’t help but think, especially after last season, how much of this applies to Rivers?

Comment

• Boltdiehard
            The Precious
            • May 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

PFF has a new article on Tyrod Taylor. It's premium.

The Chargers have a solid starting option on their roster next season for just $7.5 million.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...k-tyrod-taylor

This is the polarizing T-Mobile debate that started in Buffalo will continue in LA. Reminds me of the Flutie Flakes that infested the Charger NFL Forum many years ago.

I am a veteran of the Flutopian Wars not many of us left.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
              The Precious
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

Tyrod Taylor? Seriously? :smh:

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post

The good old Flutie/Brees wars, then with an added Rivers for 2004/2005. Awesome!

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Can’t help but think, especially after last season, how much of this applies to Rivers?
                  Rivers's main problem is that when pressured, he frequently would sling the rock into coverage for picks, especially during crunch time...

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

It’s TT time like it or not. Even if they draft a qb at #6 they’re not gonna throw him out there on opening day. It’s TT for better or worse in 2020.

Comment

• WahooBlue
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2014
                      • Send PM

Just a few thoughts.....
                      Tyrod Taylor is not as good as Jacoby Brisett and Brisett has an offensive line
                      Any QB the chargers draft will go into the dustbin of NFL history because there isn't a coach on that staff that could develop a peanut butter and jelly sandwich much less a quarterback....Anthony Lynn SUCKS
                      Tom Telesco is just a lap dog for one of the very worst owners in sports....The owner is a hack that does not want to win because that would require him spending money he doesn't have and Telesco will not be able to extend Bosa or James or any other players that resembles top flight NFL talent because the players want to win and they know it will NEVER happen as long as Spanos owns the team....they will all hit the bricks as soon as possible.
                      I remember when the Chargers and Fabiani said that 25% of their fans were from LA and that meant they were leaving their 75% of fans in San Diego.....Now that Rivers is gone as the last link of the Chargers to San Diego I am guessing the SD fan base is around 5-10%
                      I for one will be loving the fact that now it is no longer the Chargers and 31 other NFL teams but knowing the LAC are just one of 32 and can now be considered the west coast version of the Cleveland Browns
                      Will I watch...of course....who doesn't like to see a continuous train wreck on a weekly basis and being in LA....they should put this on the SyFy channel

Comment

• Caslon
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

A miraculous improvement at O-line is what Tyrod Taylor needs. Rivers was able to compensate for the horrendous revolving door at O-line prior to last season. If the O-line is still bad, Tyrod will have happy feet on every passing down. He did OK in Buffalo for one season because he had protection. If the O-line is as mediocre as last year, he will be a QB without Rivers experience or quick release and won't be worth a damn!

Comment

• BigBad
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post

Those were epic on the SDUT forum. I wish we had some quotes from guys back then killing Brees.

Comment

Working...
                          X