Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Rex also thought he'd have won multiple super bowls if he was out coach.

I understand why they moved on from Rivers (or Rivers moved on from the team as a recent article hinted), but it is time for a new QB, not a journeyman like Taylor. I just don't want to waste a year on Taylor unless we draft a QB that absolutely isn't ready to start.
    What article was this? Because I find it interesting what his motivations would be....did TT say they were looking at drafting a QB...was he told he was going to be competing for his job with Tyrod or a FA?
    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Not really news if you were watching the games.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Through such delicate enunciation, such care and caution, his raw confidence can go entirely undetected. It's always been that way. Tyrod Taylor hasn't been one to spew grandiose proclamations at any point in his nine-year career...

Read this piece about Tyrod Taylor. I am very impressed with this young man. If he starts, he may not turn out to be as good as he wants to be, as he thinks he is, but one thing for sure, he is going to give his team maximum effort. Who knows...the precedent of journeyman QBs having had late-career revivals with great success has already been established. And Taylor has led a team to the playoffs.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Some here are suggesting that Tyrod is a comparable or better quarterback then Rivers. Such expectations will leave them sorely disappointed in what he brings to a team. The only immediate advantage to Tyrod is his modest salary, and that the Chargers can bring in Bulaga/Harris.

If you have a lights out D and running game, then a qb like Tyrod Taylor who does not throw interceptions should be a priority. Tyrod played in that situation somewhat in Buffalo and still they momentarily benched him for a 3rd day rookie. In Cleveland, he was surrounded by what Rivers has had, and they couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

Go back and watch him in flailing about in his only post season start against Jacksonville. He was so bad that they pulled him for Peterman at the end of the game, down by 7.

With a strong team around him, he can get you to the playoffs, but don't expect to win there.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Same could said of most any Bolt QB except Humphries.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
              With a strong team around him, he can get you to the playoffs, but don't expect to win there.
              You just described Philip Rivers - kudos.

It would be a mistake to depend on Tyrod Taylor to be a franchise QB capable of elevating a team. It would also be a mistake to dismiss him as incapable of fulfilling this role until he has proven what he can and cannot do. If you read the piece, then you know that Taylor feels he has been constrained by coaches and coordinators in the past who subscribed to the NFL standard of a pocket passer. He feels QBs such as Lamar Jackson, Mahomes and Kyler Murray are breaking new ground, showing that their skill sets are the future of the NFL, and that he possesses those skill sets. If you read the piece, you know he is in fantastic physical condition and he is absolutely dedicated to his profession. You know he is the type of QB Lynn wants, and that if he is the starter Lynn will allow him to play "his" game. If you read the piece, you know he has been in constant contact with Lynn and Steichen this off season. I hope and the expect the Chargers will draft Tua or Herbert. But I think the plan would be for Taylor to be the starter in 2020 while the rookie sits and learns.. This gives Taylor his chance to prove himself. If Taylor is the starter, we are going to see an offense that we have never before seen from a Bolts team. My prediction is, if Taylor starts, the result will be no worse than what we have been getting with Rivers. With Rivers we were watching the same movie year after year - it was like the movie Groundhog Day. He could get you to the playoffs every few years, and win in the wildcard round maybe, but he couldn't get the team past the next level. The Rivers-led Chargers haven't won a division title since LT left. It was time to change the movie, IMO.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

It would be a mistake to depend on Tyrod Taylor to be a franchise QB capable of elevating a team. It would also be a mistake to dismiss him as incapable of fulfilling this role until he has proven what he can and cannot do. If you read the piece, then you know that Taylor feels he has been constrained by coaches and coordinators in the past who subscribed to the NFL standard of a pocket passer. He feels QBs such as Lamar Jackson, Mahomes and Kyler Murray are breaking new ground, showing that their skill sets are the future of the NFL, and that he possesses those skill sets. If you read the piece, you know he is in fantastic physical condition and he is absolutely dedicated to his profession. You know he is the type of QB Lynn wants, and that if he is the starter Lynn will allow him to play "his" game. If you read the piece, you know he has been in constant contact with Lynn and Steichen this off season. I hope and the expect the Chargers will draft Tua or Herbert. But I think the plan would be for Taylor to be the starter in 2020 while the rookie sits and learns.. This gives Taylor his chance to prove himself. If Taylor is the starter, we are going to see an offense that we have never before seen from a Bolts team. My prediction is, if Taylor starts, the result will be no worse than what we have been getting with Rivers. With Rivers we were watching the same movie year after year - it was like the movie Groundhog Day. He could get you to the playoffs every few years, and win in the wildcard round maybe, but he couldn't get the team past the next level. The Rivers-led Chargers haven't won a division title since LT left. It was time to change the movie, IMO.
                Reposted for Truth.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

It would be a mistake to depend on Tyrod Taylor to be a franchise QB capable of elevating a team. It would also be a mistake to dismiss him as incapable of fulfilling this role until he has proven what he can and cannot do. If you read the piece, then you know that Taylor feels he has been constrained by coaches and coordinators in the past who subscribed to the NFL standard of a pocket passer. He feels QBs such as Lamar Jackson, Mahomes and Kyler Murray are breaking new ground, showing that their skill sets are the future of the NFL, and that he possesses those skill sets. If you read the piece, you know he is in fantastic physical condition and he is absolutely dedicated to his profession.

You know he is the type of QB Lynn wants, and that if he is the starter Lynn will allow him to play "his" game. If you read the piece, you know he has been in constant contact with Lynn and Steichen this off season. I hope and the expect the Chargers will draft Tua or Herbert. But I think the plan would be for Taylor to be the starter in 2020 while the rookie sits and learns.. This gives Taylor his chance to prove himself. If Taylor is the starter, we are going to see an offense that we have never before seen from a Bolts team. My prediction is, if Taylor starts, the result will be no worse than what we have been getting with Rivers. With Rivers we were watching the same movie year after year - it was like the movie Groundhog Day. He could get you to the playoffs every few years, and win in the wildcard round maybe, but he couldn't get the team past the next level. The Rivers-led Chargers haven't won a division title since LT left. It was time to change the movie, IMO.
                  Depends on if the defense improves on giving up leads late. Rivers has brought us back many times only to have the defense lose it late. Tyrod isnt that kind of QB. But he will be more conservative and throw less INTs.

I look forward to what the offense can do but we got a glimpse of it in Preseason and he didnt score many points. But with a better OL, lets see. No matter what QB we pick, even Burrow....Tyrod is the starter next season....unless he fails to put up ponts.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Depends on if the defense improves on giving up leads late. Rivers has brought us back many times only to have the defense lose it late. Tyrod isnt that kind of QB. But he will be more conservative and throw less INTs.

I look forward to what the offense can do but we got a glimpse of it in Preseason and he didnt score many points. But with a better OL, lets see. No matter what QB we pick, even Burrow....Tyrod is the starter next season....unless he fails to put up ponts.
                    Yes. Assuming 1. they draft a QB high and 2. TT begins the season as the starter. If the TT offense doesn't produce, I don't think they would hesitate to insert the rookie. Still gotta figure out who's going to be the LT.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                      Some here are suggesting that Tyrod is a comparable or better quarterback then Rivers. Such expectations will leave them sorely disappointed in what he brings to a team. The only immediate advantage to Tyrod is his modest salary, and that the Chargers can bring in Bulaga/Harris.

If you have a lights out D and running game, then a qb like Tyrod Taylor who does not throw interceptions should be a priority. Tyrod played in that situation somewhat in Buffalo and still they momentarily benched him for a 3rd day rookie. In Cleveland, he was surrounded by what Rivers has had, and they couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

Go back and watch him in flailing about in his only post season start against Jacksonville. He was so bad that they pulled him for Peterman at the end of the game, down by 7.

Buffalo's OL was woefully over-matched by Jaguar's D-line. Cordy Glenn was out if I recall. Impossible to evaluate a QB when their OL can't block. I'm rooting for Taylor to succeed. If we drafted a 1st round OT (Thomas), I think Taylor could lead us deep into the playoffs... maybe even SB...

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

I've become convinced that they like their chances with Taylor. I also think they see something in Stick and are ready to crown him as Taylor's backup.....and that causes me to rethink my mock. I think they will be thinking about drafting a QB late in the draft to be the new #3.

So here's my new, revised mock -

1. OT Andrew 'Thomas
                        2. WR Justin Jefferson
                        3. LB Willie Gay Jr.
                        4. C Cesar Ruiz
                        5 RB A.J. Dillon
                        6. TE Jacob Breeland
                        7. QB Khalil Tate
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Buffalo's OL was woefully over-matched by Jaguar's D-line. Cordy Glenn was out if I recall. Impossible to evaluate a QB when their OL can't block. I'm rooting for Taylor to succeed. If we drafted a 1st round OT (Thomas), I think Taylor could lead us deep into the playoffs... maybe even SB...
                          Hmm, yet Rivers was evaluated as needing to be traded in forums back some years ago before McCoy got here. So sad that most of his career he hasnt had a good OL. AJ and Telesco just havent been doing a good job there. Telesco has tried more than AJ though.

Comment

Working...
                          X