Could Cam Newton Be Coming To The Chargers?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post

Haha I was about to post this.
    Oh no....
    brace yourselves
    jojax... get ready to buy some boxes.
    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
      For me, depends on two things:

1. The money.

2. Where his head is at. For all of his talent, he has always come off as a bit childish and aloof to me. I could be wrong, I never really followed them that closely. Not sure what his teammates have said about him over the years.

But for once it would be nice for us to grab another team's castaway with a huge chip on their shoulder who goes on to have a great 2nd act to their career.
      agree, the money element could be the critical piece.... personally would start @4/5m guaranteed and work from there, explain to him that we are moving into the new stadium and need to get/do this right, which includes bringing in the likes of Jason Peters and Carlos Hyde, and maybe others ??

he gets to be in LA, get endorsements, have a HC that understands him/is compatible w/what he has to offer an O, and fills a void in terms of newsworthiness that seems to be his jam.

far as where his head is at, recall when PR first came on the scene, and when he had his first coupla few faceoffs w/Cutler.... was so not into his "chirpy" outbursts, and general mouthiness when it came to things, and.... have come to appreciate Phil as he has grown up, willing to be a gunslinger when in the best interests of the team, and noticeably reeling in unnecessary chatter.

as an aside, and an out on a limb wu wu observation, there is a thing called your Saturn return which happens for us sometime after turning 28 and for two and half years 'til we're about 31, and is sorta like an early mid life crisis, or the first real point of evaluation in our lives, and for some of us a real turning point, or about face in our lives, and.... Cam is right there, and so.... wouldn't be overly surprised if this whole slate of events in his life doesn't present him w/the opportunity to make some adjustments in who he is and how he relates to things in general, and to others.... he could be a bit of a changed man of sorts ??

will also throw out the reminder that Tommy T. said he thought we could rebuild this team on the fly, w/the insinuation that we wouldn't miss much of a beat w/things ??

no PR is a big dip in the road by my take, and not sure that the either of Tua nor Herbert do much to bridge that divide, 'specially in the short term, and if Cam isn't healthy, then he isn't much help either, and.... if his foot is ok (Lisfranc wasn't too kind to Bill Walton and others.... ?), then don't think there isn't much reason to suspect that we won't be competitive w/him @the helm ??

all that said, don't imagine that young John is overly fond of the notion, and even tho his HC am guessin' is prolly good w/things.... just don't think the difference maker/deciding vote will be cast, as get the impression that rocking the boat is not Tommy T.'s style, and so.... as young John Spanos goes.... so go the Chargers.

4-12 LAC
      9-7 Vegas, Denver
      11-5 KC

as of (right) now
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Tyrod Taylor posts photo of workout alongside Cam Newton

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 27, 2020, 1:58 AM EDT

Getty Images

Despite both G.M. Tom Telesco and head coach Anthony Lynn expressing confidence in their current stable of quarterbacks, the Los Angeles Chargers could really use some additional help at the position following the departure of Philip Rivers this offseason.

Telesco expressed faith in the team’s internal options for the job last month while Lynn described remaining incumbent option Tyrod Taylor as “a heck of a quarterback.”

Meanwhile, Cam Newton is now a free agent after his release by the Carolina Panthers earlier this week. Newton would make an intriguing possible option for the Chargers to pursue, which made a posting by Taylor on his instagram account Thursday night quite interesting.

Taylor posted a photo to his instagram stories of himself and Newton working out and taking snaps together on a football field.

Perhaps the two just have a friendship and wanted to train together in the offseason. Perhaps its a teasing of what’s to come for the Chargers with both players battling for the starting job in Los Angeles next season. For now, Newton remains a free agent with the Chargers still one of the most logical landing spots for the former league MVP.

Comment

• chris9341
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Personally myself I don't want him here. After he just crumbled in the suberbowl he has not been the same player that made him one of the best QB's in the league. I would rather us just draft Herbert or Tua and let them sit one year behind Tyrod Taylor and be the Chargers starter in 2021. The good thing for Tyrod Taylor is he will actually have some good targets to throw to and should do alot better with the Chargers then he did with the Browns.

Comment

• I do not see Newton as much of an upgrade over Taylor as a passer. In fact, with both players being the same age, Newton has demonstrated a lower completion percentatge and a higher INT percentage. Statistically, Newton only had one good year and even then he failed to crack a QB rating of 100, so it was not a great year from a passing standpoint.

Neither QB has a good TD pass percentage, but Newton's is better than Taylor's. However, Taylor is very good at not throwing INTs. With two seasons of over 400 passes attempted, his single season high in INTs is only 6. Newton's career INT percentage is nearly double that of Taylor, having never avoided double digits in INTs in any season from 2011-2018 until his season was cut short last year.

Theoretically, Newton should hold up better as a running QB given his size. Until last year, he did start all but 6 games through 8 seasons, which is pretty durable given that he carried the ball 100+ times in every season but one before last year.

Newton would improve team depth (whether Newton or Taylor started), but it would have to be a really team friendly deal before I would want to have anything to do with him.

Comment

• JOJAX85
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2018
              • Irmo, SC
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Oh no....
              brace yourselves
              jojax... get ready to buy some boxes.
              I'll just stuff everything in the empty liquor case boxes.

FUCK!!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

If he is healthy - he makes the team better. It probably takes QB off the board at 6 just because you would want to maximize Newton so that means OL or Simmons. Granted, without being able to give him a proper physical - this makes it tough. I am open either way.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

With all the question marks around Tua and Herbert (and even Love I suppose) and lack of interaction between teams and prospects (as being discussed), I’m not sure signing Cam would take qb off the board at 6

It will come down to money. I don’t see Cam being in a strong negotiating position.
                  He’s healthy, according to his doctors.
                  the market has dried up to about two to 4 teams
                  hes looking at a prove it 1-2 year deal with incentives
                  at best
                  ive said this before but I see Cam signing a Tyrod deal here or a place he can compete for starting job or assume one in 2021.
                  watch for Pittsburgh too

G-Ro knows.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Irmo, SC
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                    With all the question marks around Tua and Herbert (and even Love I suppose) and lack of interaction between teams and prospects (as being discussed), I’m not sure signing Cam would take qb off the board at 6

It will come down to money. I don’t see Cam being in a strong negotiating position.
                    He’s healthy, according to his doctors.
                    the market has dried up to about two to 4 teams
                    hes looking at a prove it 1-2 year deal with incentives
                    at best
                    ive said this before but I see Cam signing a Tyrod deal here or a place he can compete for starting job or assume one in 2021.
                    watch for Pittsburgh too
                    Or the London Jaguars.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                      Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                      • Send PM

I’m not opposed to him playing for us but if he signs and Shows up at press conference dressed like a combination of Ru Paul and Audrey Hepburn I’m out

Comment

• JOJAX85
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Irmo, SC
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
                        I’m not opposed to him playing for us but if he signs and Shows up at press conference dressed like a combination of Ru Paul and Audrey Hepburn I’m out
                        He will. Blaming everybody else.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                          • Feb 2019
                          • McLean Illinois
                          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
                          :rofl::rofl::rofl:
                          The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

Working...
                          X