Could Cam Newton Be Coming To The Chargers?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jorgecasas10
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

In this case I do. I understand liars month and am a believer of it. They tried for Brady and afterwards said they weren't going to sign a vet. We drafting 6th, a QB is coming there unless we miss out and they go for Hurts.

Imo Winston isn't an option at all. He don't fit Lynn's style and ball protection. I'd say NO WAY he is an option.
    Winston is young and talented and he can learn how to protect the football many QBs have learned to do that
    i agree with you that drafting a qb is their priority but if they cant get their QB in the draft, newton and winston will be options after the draft

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
      Since they made that offer, they have spent money on three other free agents and they simply don't have the room left under the cap to pay to an established QB. Imo, they are sticking with the plan, Tyrod, Stick, and a draft pick.
      Yep, time for posters to catch up with whats going on here.

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

For me, depends on two things:

1. The money.

2. Where his head is at. For all of his talent, he has always come off as a bit childish and aloof to me. I could be wrong, I never really followed them that closely. Not sure what his teammates have said about him over the years.

But for once it would be nice for us to grab another team's castaway with a huge chip on their shoulder who goes on to have a great 2nd act to their career.
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• madcaplaughs
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I'd rather us use that money for OL, or a Bosa extension

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

When did they say that ? Was it before or after they tried to sign Brady ?
            reportedly after failing to sign brady and before/after reportedly having discussions on the prospect of bringing in Cam Newton

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
              Since they made that offer, they have spent money on three other free agents and they simply don't have the room left under the cap to pay to an established QB. Imo, they are sticking with the plan, Tyrod, Stick, and a draft pick.
              I concur.

Team talent is improved in several positions.
              - IDL, ORT, ORG, CB are stronger.
              - QB, LB, RB, WR, OT and to a lesser extent CB, TE, EDGE are still positions that need either starting caliber talent or depth added.
              FA is still in early stages. We have cap space. TT/staff are smart and targeted this offseason. We are not done yet.
              DRAFT is coming. We currently have 7 picks. More talent will be added. (Hope we trade back in multiple rounds)
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

The Chargers have the cap space if the cap hit for Newton is 8-10m today. If they want that to go higher - they can re-do some deals, maybe truly get an answer from Pouncey (they don't need it today); they can release Virgil Greene and save a bit of cap. So there are options to sign Cam Newton and even Jason Peters - depending on the numbers.

But is Cam the right fit. As if he plays like the MVP he was a few years ago - when I think they went 15-1 and he didn't have near the talent the Chargers have - he would be a good signing. But he needs to be healthy and needs to fit in the locker room

The least of my personal concerns is the salary cap. I still like the idea of Jason Peters if Newton is not signed. If Newton is signed, that changes the draft picks thats for sure.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
                  The Chargers have the cap space if the cap hit for Newton is 8-10m today. If they want that to go higher - they can re-do some deals, maybe truly get an answer from Pouncey (they don't need it today); they can release Virgil Greene and save a bit of cap. So there are options to sign Cam Newton and even Jason Peters - depending on the numbers.

But is Cam the right fit. As if he plays like the MVP he was a few years ago - when I think they went 15-1 and he didn't have near the talent the Chargers have - he would be a good signing. But he needs to be healthy and needs to fit in the locker room

The least of my personal concerns is the salary cap. I still like the idea of Jason Peters if Newton is not signed. If Newton is signed, that changes the draft picks thats for sure.
                  I don’t see us signing a vet QB.
                  Possible FA Targets in my view will be short term stop gaps, role, or depth players like....
                  K. Beachum (OLT)
                  J. Peters (OLT)
                  S. Harris (DT)
                  D. Fells (TE)
                  J. Reed (TE)

These players may well have to wait till after the draft to find a job.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• SYB
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

In this case I do. I understand liars month and am a believer of it. They tried for Brady and afterwards said they weren't going to sign a vet. Imo Winston isn't an option at all. He don't fit Lynn's style and ball protection. I'd say NO WAY he is an option.

We are drafting 6th, a QB is coming there unless we miss out and they go for Hurts.
                    Completely agree. If we had a solid offensive staff in place and were looking for a pocket passer, I'd absolutely consider him. But with an inexperienced OC and a HC that wants a dual threat QB, Winston simply doesn't have the skill set that the current staff wants.

Comment

• Budsman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Cam gives the Chargers what they wanted in Brady for less money. You know Cam will bring eyeballs to the Chargers that they desire. Cam also has the ability that Tyrod doesn’t to lead this team deep if he shows some of what he had. He’s the type of quarterback that Lynn likes but to counter that Tyrod is Lynn’s guy and I think the plan all along was to give Tyrod the keys this year.

this comes down to the Spanni and their desire to build media attention for the Chargers. Does this hit the right buttons to make sense financially for the organization.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

If the Chargers really wanted Newton, they could easily fit his salary in with a signing bonus and backloading the contract to squeeze him in this year. I just am not convinced we aren’t drafting our QB of the future.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post
                          Cam gives the Chargers what they wanted in Brady for less money. You know Cam will bring eyeballs to the Chargers that they desire. Cam also has the ability that Tyrod doesn’t to lead this team deep if he shows some of what he had. He’s the type of quarterback that Lynn likes but to counter that Tyrod is Lynn’s guy and I think the plan all along was to give Tyrod the keys this year.

this comes down to the Spanni and their desire to build media attention for the Chargers. Does this hit the right buttons to make sense financially for the organization.
                          I don't think Cam is near as popular. I for one don't give a shit about Cam lol.

Comment

Working...
                          X