• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
    That is the subjective part rooted in Norv hatred....the team was talented and should be doing better. Why do we think that? Because of 14-2 and Norv sucking in Wash and Oak. This is a year to year league. McCoy is getting praise heaped on him for going 9-7 and lucking in to a playoff spot on missed field goal to beat a JV Chiefs team and multiple teams melting down the stretch. The difference between what McCoy accomplished last year and what Norv had been getting done previously wasn't that great and I do think Telesco has improved the team since Norv and AJ got fired.

I also think Norv and AJ should have been fired I just don't think this team is night and day as far as coaching goes. McCoy lost some stinkers last year but he beat Denver and Cincy and that's all people remember. The main thing about Norv is he took a team that could not win in the post season and got them over that hump....maybe injuries robbed him from going all the way and being remembered as the greatest coach in franchise history.
    You can have Norv and AJ to run your team. I'll take our current guys. Wasn't Norv the guy that said it would take 5 years for this team to rebuild into a playoff team? I do agree, and stated that our record was excellent in November and December. Unfortunately, we sucked in September and October. Yes he was head and shoulders a better playoff coach than Marty....but could the bar be set any lower? Marty is one of the WORST playoff coaches in NFL history.

Comment

• OhioBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I've never seen Rivers look so comfortable in the pocket, I think there are several things that make a difference

1. The 2nd year in a system he is comfortable with his completion percentage was 69.5% last year, and is 70% four games in
      2. I think his QB IQ is gone up and he is seeing the field like never before he moves up in the pocket like never before, his INT rate has gone way down from the Nor Turner era.
      3. Anyone notice Rivers looked like he dropped some weight and came in looks like the best shape of his life when mini-camp started? Rivers never was mobile or fleet of foot, but he moves a lot better and is willing to take off to get some positive yards I think he already has had at least two 10 yard scrambles this season.

This is a different Rivers that we haven't seen prior to Mike McCoy and company.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I am pretty sure at 56-40 Norv has the highest winning percentage in Franchise history in the Superbowl era as well as the being the most successful coach in post season history (tied with Ross at 3-3) and had our offense routinely as one of the top units in the league.

He was far from the disaster most fans want to remember him as simply because he had a loser head coach reputation when he got here and because the team was 14-2 the year before he was hired.
        I could have coached those talented teams to good records, too. He was a disaster. Unmitigated.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

That is the subjective part rooted in Norv hatred....the team was talented and should be doing better. Why do we think that? Because of 14-2 and Norv sucking in Wash and Oak. This is a year to year league. McCoy is getting praise heaped on him for going 9-7 and lucking in to a playoff spot on missed field goal to beat a JV Chiefs team and multiple teams melting down the stretch.
          The difference between Norv and McCoy is that McCoy took a team that wasn't incredibly talented and not at all deep and got the absolute most our of them. During Norv's tenure, we consistently underperformed, played down to the level of lesser competition and just didn't execute well. I watch this team very closely and have since 1975 or 76. The difference is night and day. McCoy coaches guys up.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
            SLAM DUNK!
            • Jun 2013
            • East County San Diego
            • Bolt fanatic
            • Send PM

With Norv I just look at the facts, not these subjective measures of uber talented under performing teams. I don't think those teams were as talented as some of you and I don't see that McCoy has done any better with the talent we have had. 7-9,8-8,9-7 is all right around the same level to me.

The facts say Norv had an excellent record as Chargers head coach. He is one of the greatest coaches in franchise history according to the facts, the statistics....deny them all you want.
            migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

Just thinking about the years Norv spent wasting this mans full potential really angers the shit out of me...

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Opera singer and web developer.
                • Send PM

With Norv I just look at the facts, not these subjective measures of uber talented under performing teams. I don't think those teams were as talented as some of you and I don't see that McCoy has done any better with the talent we have had. 7-9,8-8,9-7 is all right around the same level to me.

The facts say Norv had an excellent record as Chargers head coach. He is one of the greatest coaches in franchise history according to the facts, the statistics....deny them all you want.
                As we constantly remind Yuba on just about every stance he takes, stats do not tell the whole story. You claim to be looking only at facts, but in fact you are selectively looking at facts and therefore missing the forest for the trees.
                Adipose

Comment

• Yubaking
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                  But the implication is that the problem was Rivers. I think the real issue was that the offense Norv Turner ran didn't fit our personnel and it put PR in a lot of positions to force things. The newer offense plays to our personnel's strengths. And the short game, ball-control approach fits us better. So I'm not sure the change is n Rivers or that it was all Rivers' fault during his rut. He had no running game and a pathetic o-line and Turner called all that slow developing shit, which is pretty stupid when you have a QB with the mobility of late stage Joe Namath.
                  This, this and this again. It was never Rivers' problem.

Comment

• Yubaking
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

I could have coached those talented teams to good records, too. He was a disaster. Unmitigated.
                    Damn right! Keep it coming.

Comment

• Yubaking
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

The difference between Norv and McCoy is that McCoy took a team that wasn't incredibly talented and not at all deep and got the absolute most our of them. During Norv's tenure, we consistently underperformed, played down to the level of lesser competition and just didn't execute well. I watch this team very closely and have since 1975 or 76. The difference is night and day. McCoy coaches guys up.
                      Exactly correct.

Comment

• MakoShark
                        Disgruntled
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Alabama
                        • Send PM

It is also a fact that Norv inherited a 14-2 team that had a roster full of talent. It was a roster that was arguably the most talented in the NFL at the time. Fact is, Norv was handed about as good a situation as any NFL Coach could want and he squandered it. Any coach, or non coach for that matter, could have been handed that situation and the facts would say that they are most successful coach in franchise history. Facts can be subjective too.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Yubaking
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

Norv pissed away wins for us every single year he was our coach. The talent we had was good enough to win it all. As Rex Ryan once said regarding the talent of some of the Chargers teams Norv had, those teams were LOADED.

Comment

Working...
                          X