• Show
Clear All
  • BlazingBolt
    SLAM DUNK!
    • Jun 2013
    • East County San Diego
    • Bolt fanatic
    • Send PM

And because I think critically about these things instead of just buying the emotional generalizations most fans remeber McCree was correct to return that int. He just needed to protect the ball better while doing it. That int would not have sealed the game
    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• BlazingBolt
      SLAM DUNK!
      • Jun 2013
      • East County San Diego
      • Bolt fanatic
      • Send PM

The first 3 years of norv were not only good but was one of the highest points of this franchises history. When else have we won 3 straight division titles, 3 playoff games, and 32 regular season games?

Comment

• sandiego17
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

So McCoy gets docked for lucking into the playoffs, but Norval gets praised for 3 division titles when the AFC West was as week as it has ever been (just list the opposing QB's and you will see) and one of the division titles came at 8-8 with Denver/****ler self imploding down the stretch. Literally, a historic collapse that may never be repeated. That wasn't luck? The Bengals self-destructed huh? Were the Chargers just innocently standing by while that happened, or did they maybe force the Bengals to 'self-destruct'. McCoy has more impressive victories in 1.25 seasons than Norval has in 16+. What Norval victory compares to the clinical beat down of the Seahawks, winning a road playoff game against a team that was 8-0 at home or even the Thursday night victory over the Superbowl bound Broncos? Anything come close?

Norval did not inherit a game manager, he inherited an elite talent and tried to fit that talent into his system instead of build a system that worked with what Rivers does best. Its a credit to Rivers that he was able to do well despite Norv, not because of Norval. Look at Rivers now in a system that plays to his strength. In 1.25 season away from Norval, he's arguably the best QB in the league. Calling Norv shit is kind.

I agree that Norv didn't make strategical blunders that McCoy has. Norv's weren't confined to just strategic. Norv's errors were in game planning, preparation, game day adjustments, playcalling and pretty much everything else. Hell, Norv's special teams were horrific a lot of the times. A good coach fixes that.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Hard4SanDiego View Post
          Just thinking about the years Norv spent wasting this mans full potential really angers the shit out of me...
          This

Comment

• BlazingBolt
            SLAM DUNK!
            • Jun 2013
            • East County San Diego
            • Bolt fanatic
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
            So McCoy gets docked for lucking into the playoffs, but Norval gets praised for 3 division titles when the AFC West was as week as it has ever been (just list the opposing QB's and you will see) and one of the division titles came at 8-8 with Denver/****ler self imploding down the stretch. Literally, a historic collapse that may never be repeated. That wasn't luck? The Bengals self-destructed huh? Were the Chargers just innocently standing by while that happened, or did they maybe force the Bengals to 'self-destruct'. McCoy has more impressive victories in 1.25 seasons than Norval has in 16+. What Norval victory compares to the clinical beat down of the Seahawks, winning a road playoff game against a team that was 8-0 at home or even the Thursday night victory over the Superbowl bound Broncos? Anything come close?

Norval did not inherit a game manager, he inherited an elite talent and tried to fit that talent into his system instead of build a system that worked with what Rivers does best. Its a credit to Rivers that he was able to do well despite Norv, not because of Norval. Look at Rivers now in a system that plays to his strength. In 1.25 season away from Norval, he's arguably the best QB in the league. Calling Norv shit is kind.

I agree that Norv didn't make strategical blunders that McCoy has. Norv's weren't confined to just strategic. Norv's errors were in game planning, preparation, game day adjustments, playcalling and pretty much everything else. Hell, Norv's special teams were horrific a lot of the times. A good coach fixes that.
            No McCoy does not get knocked for it. His first season is very comparable to Norvals 8-8 division championship team in my opinion.

I don't think Norval had the type of players to run the type of offense we are running now.

My point is simply that McCoys first year is not light years ahead of where this team was before he got here and that Norvals first 3 years here is one of the highest points this franchise has achieved, damn those 07 playoff injuries to hell.

I do think this team is getting better talent wise and I certainly hope the coaching has improved over last seasons multiple blunders.

This team I feel is trending up and I am hopeful like most of you but Norvals first 3 seasons is a high bar to meet. I don't expect McCoy to reach those heights but I certainly hoping he exceeds them
            Last edited by BlazingBolt; 10-01-2014, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• sandiego17
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I disagree about meeting Norval's bar, he's already surpassed it. I think your underestimating the direction the team was heading and how much McCoy did to not only stem that flow, but reverse it and win a playoff game. Norval himself commented about giving the new guy time because he thought the team sucked (no self awareness as it was Norv that sucked.) Maybe not light years ahead of where the team was, but definitely years ahead of what he inherited.

Comment

• KNSD
                Registered Charger Hater
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

The talent on the Charger team last year sucked donkey balls.
                o Vincent Brown was starting WR.
                o No pass rushers
                o No CBs
                o OL was (is) not very good and yet it played well together.
                etc....

That's why McCoy gets a "pass" for last year. That team should have gone 5-11 but instead somehow made it to the playoffs.

The team this year is MUCH BETTER than last year - by far.
                Prediction:
                Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Wheels
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                  I don't think Norval had the type of players to run the type of offense we are running now.
                  Norv definitely didn't have the players to run his offense, but that didn't stop him from trying.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                    The first 3 years of norv were not only good but was one of the highest points of this franchises history. When else have we won 3 straight division titles, 3 playoff games, and 32 regular season games?
                    And still people feel the team underachieved. We did that despite Norv, not because of Norv.

Comment

• TTK
                      EX-Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • America's Finest City
                      • Send PM

Any year you make the playoffs is a good year so Norv had three good years here, 2007-2009. IMO 2007 was the best team the Chargers had (better than the 2006 team) but injuries brought that team down in the end. I think a healthy team would have beaten the 16-0 Patriots at the time, then they would have went on to stomp Eli in the Super Bowl.

In turn, he had three failure years after that. So it is what it is. Three years of good and three years of bad. The big thing with him is that he did well with a stacked team but couldn't get the most of a lesser talented team towards the end. That's not a sign of a great coach IMO.

McCoy so far is one for one. Hopefully two for two this year.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

The talent sucked last year in most people's opinion. It was to be a rebuilding year. To everybody but MM. He came in and sold this team on their ability to win now. He never wavered, the team bought in and played hard, bad calls happened which could have demoralized the team but MM kept them going after it. This team won because MM willed them to it. And the calls turned and went their way at the end.

This was a 4-12 team with Norv at the helm.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panama
                          パナマ
                          • Aug 2013
                          • London
                          • Opera singer and web developer.
                          • Send PM

I would argue with you, BlazingBolt, because I think you are so wrong, but Yuba has sucked the will to argue out of me.
                          Adipose

Comment

Working...
                          X