• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
    Exactly correct.
    You know, feel free to write several manifestos as to why Norv sucked. I'm completely onboard with you. I'll even rep you each time.

Comment

• Yubaking
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
      You can have Norv and AJ to run your team. I'll take our current guys. Wasn't Norv the guy that said it would take 5 years for this team to rebuild into a playoff team? I do agree, and stated that our record was excellent in November and December. Unfortunately, we sucked in September and October. Yes he was head and shoulders a better playoff coach than Marty....but could the bar be set any lower? Marty is one of the WORST playoff coaches in NFL history.
      I don't want to make this sound too negative, but I thought Marty was comparatively bad by NFL HC standards at thinking on his feet. His in game tactics were the worst part of what he did as a HC. In terms of coaching players up using the wealth of crystalized knowledge he had and in terms of motivating his team, I would say few were better. It made for an interesting dichotomy.

Norv was just pure horse manure all the way around.

A.J. did a lot of good things for us overall. He assembled much of those super talented teams that we had and we had good seasons under his leadership. Hiring Norv was probably the worst thing he ever did to us.

McCoy is an excellent coach and Telesco has proven to be a good GM (even though I have disagreed with some of the things he has done).

Comment

• Yubaking
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
        You know, feel free to write several manifestos as to why Norv sucked. I'm completely onboard with you. I'll even rep you each time.
        Don't tempt me.

Comment

• sandiego17
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
          I don't want to make this sound too negative, but I thought Marty was comparatively bad by NFL HC standards at thinking on his feet. His in game tactics were the worst part of what he did as a HC. In terms of coaching players up using the wealth of crystalized knowledge he had and in terms of motivating his team, I would say few were better. It made for an interesting dichotomy.

Norv was just pure horse manure all the way around.

A.J. did a lot of good things for us overall. He assembled much of those super talented teams that we had and we had good seasons under his leadership. Hiring Norv was probably the worst thing he ever did to us.

McCoy is an excellent coach and Telesco has proven to be a good GM (even though I have disagreed with some of the things he has done).
          I think Marty was a good head coach. Not sure if his in game tactics were a big problem, I always felt he let his coordinators coordinate (for the most part.) In the playoffs, he seemed to be the equivalent of the guy on the blackjack table who was only down $500, but kept trying to make it up in one bet and failing, double downed again and then again. It was painful to watch him take penalties he never would have in the regular season, go for it on 4th and 11, etc.. Un-Martylike.

Norval inherited a very good and very well coached team. He won a bunch of games in the 3 years following Marty (32-16) and then the needle pointed down in the following years. 24-24 and coached Rivers ONLY losing season of his life, including high school and college. Norv was shit. Rivers is so good, he can literally win consistently on team led by Norval Eugene Turner. What NFL player could make that claim? Should be a shoe-in for the HOF based on that alone.

Agree that AJ did a lot of good things, TT came in with his work cut out if he hoped to match or exceed what AJ was able to accomplish, but he's started out well. However, AJ really didn't need to go the 'Charger one year at a time' route and his relationships/decision making in regards to head coaches really diminished what he accomplished. There is no reason the head of the football operations needed to be that adversarial with certain coaches and certain players. Made no sense.

Comment

• Wheels
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • San Diego
            • Send PM

We would've been 1-3 right now if Norv was our coach.

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Opera singer and web developer.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
              We would've been 1-3 right now if Norv was our coach.
              Which game would we have won?
              Adipose

Comment

• Wheels
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • San Diego
                • Send PM

LOL, jaguars of course, since we'd have had our players only meeting after going 0-3 to start the season.

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Opera singer and web developer.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                  LOL, jaguars of course, since we'd have had our players only meeting after going 0-3 to start the season.
                  But the Jags' DL was actually getting good pressure up the middle against us, and in Norv's 13-step drop system, I don't think Rivers would have had the time to find the receivers deep.
                  Adipose

Comment

• sandiego17
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Norval owned the Jags. Is Norval's 13-drop system anything like crossfit?

Comment

• Wheels
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                      But the Jags' DL was actually getting good pressure up the middle against us, and in Norv's 13-step drop system, I don't think Rivers would have had the time to find the receivers deep.
                      I hear you, but by the 4th quarter, after giving up several sacks and many pressures, Norval would've finally given some help to the LT and Rivers would manage some crazy comeback, and the Jags would fold.

Comment

• sandiego17
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Is this how the should-have-been-wins game works? I'm starting to not misunderstand!!! Bolts are undefeated, I think? Damn it! Misunderstanding again....

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                          SLAM DUNK!
                          • Jun 2013
                          • East County San Diego
                          • Bolt fanatic
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                          It is also a fact that Norv inherited a 14-2 team that had a roster full of talent. It was a roster that was arguably the most talented in the NFL at the time. Fact is, Norv was handed about as good a situation as any NFL Coach could want and he squandered it. Any coach, or non coach for that matter, could have been handed that situation and the facts would say that they are most successful coach in franchise history. Facts can be subjective too.
                          The fact is also that Norv inherited a game manager Philip Rivers and turned him in to an elite Franchise QB with in one season and was able to win playoff games because of it when the team could not before he got here.

LT also hit a sharp decline as soon as he got here and everyone knew before Norv got here if you took away LaDanian the Chargers had nothing....yet and AFC Championship appearance, 3 division Titles, and a 13-3 season against playoff caliber teams while the 14-2 team was 1-1 vs playoff teams the entire season only beating a 9-7 Seahawks team and losing to only other playoff team they faced.

The first 3 years of Norv were good and if you can't admit that you have unrealistic expectaitions in my opinion.

Also I don't see how the negatives of last season are all over looked because we lucked in to the playoffs and beat a self destructing Bengals team. We lost some games to horrible competition that was directly related to coaching blunders rather than the generic criticisms Norval made, Norv did not make the type of strategical blunders McCoy has shown to do.
                          Last edited by BlazingBolt; 10-01-2014, 11:54 AM.
                          migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

Working...
                          X