• Show
Clear All
  • MakoShark
    Disgruntled
    • Jun 2013
    • North Alabama
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
    The fact is also that Norv inherited a game manager Philip Rivers and turned him in to an elite Franchise QB with in one season and was able to win playoff games because of it when the team could not before he got here.

LT also hit a sharp decline as soon as he got here and everyone knew before Norv got here if you took away LaDanian the Chargers had nothing....yet and AFC Championship appearance, 3 division Titles, and a 13-3 season against playoff caliber teams while the 14-2 team was 1-1 vs playoff teams the entire season only beating a 9-7 Seahawks team and losing to only other playoff team they faced.

The first 3 years of Norv were good and if you can't admit that you have unrealistic expectaitions in my opinion.

Also I don't see how the negatives of last season are all over looked because we lucked in to the playoffs and beat a self destructing Bengals team. We lost some games to horrible competition that was directly related to coaching blunders rather than the generic criticisms Norval made, Norv did not make the type of strategical blunders McCoy has shown to do.
    Rivers was hardly a game manager. Norv gets credit for helping to develop Rivers to an elite level, but the pure talent of PR was there all along and we can't say that he wouldn't be the QB he is today if Norv hadn't come along.

LT went into a sharp decline as soon as Norv got here huh? He only led the league in rushing in Norv's first year. LT's decline directly relates to Norv shifting the offensive philosophy from run oriented to pass oriented. Norv de-emphasized LT's roll and released his All-Pro lead blocker. He point blank told LT he was going to do this. Other teams didn't need to take LT away, Norv did it for them.

Norv the strategist? Really? As I recall the trademarks of Norv's time here were the lack of in-game adjustments, half time adjustments or any adjustments. Ever. It was his system or bust. Clock management? Did he even know there was a game clock or play clock? Breaking the huddle with less than 10 seconds on the play clock was the norm and that was all on him.
    sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Philip Rivers named September’s best offensive player in AFC

Posted by Josh Alper on October 2, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

AP
      Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers rebounded in 2013 after a couple of off years and he’s climbed even higher in the first four weeks of this season.

Rivers has thrown for 1,155 yards and nine touchdowns while completing 70.1 percent of his passes as the Chargers have followed a season-opening loss with three straight victories.

His play has drawn some early MVP discussion, but he’ll have to settle with being the AFC’s top offensive player in September for now. Rivers was named the winner of the monthy honor on Thursday in a choice that’s pretty difficult to argue with given Rivers’s level of play.

“It’s always appreciated and an honor, but like always, I think it’s more of a reflection of the team this month,” Rivers said, via the team. “It’s an honor collectively because as a unit and a team we’ve put together three really good weeks. From a passing game standpoint, it takes every guy to make it go. The guys up front, the running backs and all the guys getting open in a hurry making tough catches have done that over the last month.”

Rivers will try to extend his franchise record with a touchdown pass in a 25th straight game against the Jets this weekend.
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Wheels
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • San Diego
        • Send PM

The fact is also that Norv inherited a game manager Philip Rivers and turned him in to an elite Franchise QB with in one season and was able to win playoff games because of it when the team could not before he got here.

LT also hit a sharp decline as soon as he got here and everyone knew before Norv got here if you took away LaDanian the Chargers had nothing....yet and AFC Championship appearance, 3 division Titles, and a 13-3 season against playoff caliber teams while the 14-2 team was 1-1 vs playoff teams the entire season only beating a 9-7 Seahawks team and losing to only other playoff team they faced.

The first 3 years of Norv were good and if you can't admit that you have unrealistic expectaitions in my opinion.

Also I don't see how the negatives of last season are all over looked because we lucked in to the playoffs and beat a self destructing Bengals team. We lost some games to horrible competition that was directly related to coaching blunders rather than the generic criticisms Norval made, Norv did not make the type of strategical blunders McCoy has shown to do.
        I like how you claim to be the objective party, and then call Rivers a game manager. It was his first year starting and he had a conservative head coach with an offensive line that mauled people and the best running back of the decade (or better).

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
          Philip Rivers named September’s best offensive player in AFC

Posted by Josh Alper on October 2, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

AP
          Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers rebounded in 2013 after a couple of off years and he’s climbed even higher in the first four weeks of this season.

Rivers has thrown for 1,155 yards and nine touchdowns while completing 70.1 percent of his passes as the Chargers have followed a season-opening loss with three straight victories.

His play has drawn some early MVP discussion, but he’ll have to settle with being the AFC’s top offensive player in September for now. Rivers was named the winner of the monthy honor on Thursday in a choice that’s pretty difficult to argue with given Rivers’s level of play.

“It’s always appreciated and an honor, but like always, I think it’s more of a reflection of the team this month,” Rivers said, via the team. “It’s an honor collectively because as a unit and a team we’ve put together three really good weeks. From a passing game standpoint, it takes every guy to make it go. The guys up front, the running backs and all the guys getting open in a hurry making tough catches have done that over the last month.”

Rivers will try to extend his franchise record with a touchdown pass in a 25th straight game against the Jets this weekend.
          There has to be a mistake here. The ESPN announcers probably didn't say "Ew" often enough.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Rivers odds for MVP are down to 15/2.....i bet 100 on him at 50:1. I kind of wish this was a futures bet

Comment

• BlazingBolt
              SLAM DUNK!
              • Jun 2013
              • East County San Diego
              • Bolt fanatic
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              And still people feel the team underachieved.
              That is what I find ridiculous. One of the top teams in the NFL and the single most successful 3 year stretch of any coach in franchise history.

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              We did that despite Norv, not because of Norv.
              I think that is unfair and incredibly biased. Just because we went 14-2 and expectations were a Superbowl. Norv was in the same boat as Mathews following up LT, unfair expectations. I maintain that 14-2 team was not as good as there record. Incredibly weak schedule and they struggled down the stretch, especially Rivers who was not a great player that season (very good for a first year starter but far from great). Norv got that team ready to compete in the post season and they did
              migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Boltergeist
                Pesky apparition
                • Jun 2013
                • Baja Oklahoma
                • Send PM

That is what I find ridiculous. One of the top teams in the NFL and the single most successful 3 year stretch of any coach in franchise history.
                :umno: Coryell's 79-81 saw the team in the conference championship twice and the divisional game once. Norv topped out at 2 divisional games and one AFC Championship. Coryell turned his team around. Norv provided continuity on a team that had already been in the playoffs.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                  SLAM DUNK!
                  • Jun 2013
                  • East County San Diego
                  • Bolt fanatic
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltergeist View Post
                  :umno: Coryell's 79-81 saw the team in the conference championship twice and the divisional game once. Norv topped out at 2 divisional games and one AFC Championship. Coryell turned his team around. Norv provided continuity on a team that had already been in the playoffs.
                  Yes that is the other most successful stretch of any coach in franchise history. 3 division titles and more regular season wins but one less playoff win.

I don't care what Marty did before it doesn't change the results Norv got. Norv is hated for what the team did before he got here, and that hate robbed many fans from enjoying one of the most successful 3 year stretches in Franchise history because they still feel we were underachieving. I feel sorry for fans who couldn't enjoy the success we were having because of 14-2. Look at the facts, if you didn't enjoy it you have no one to blame but your self.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                    SLAM DUNK!
                    • Jun 2013
                    • East County San Diego
                    • Bolt fanatic
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                    I like how you claim to be the objective party, and then call Rivers a game manager. It was his first year starting and he had a conservative head coach with an offensive line that mauled people and the best running back of the decade (or better).
                    I like how you attempt to criticize me for calling him a game manager and then explain reasons why he was a game manager. That team was running and defense oriented with a first year QB, it is not a criticism of Rivers when I say he was a game manager his first year starting.

The only objectivity I am claiming is that Norv's first 3 years was one of the best 3 year stretches in franchise history. I was born in 76 so I didn't see the 79-81 stretch. I find it hard to hate on the guy or AJ for that matter. I agreed with both of them being fired however but I recognize their success as one of the best times for us fans and I personally do find it annoying that others did not and still don't appreciate it. What are you comparing it to? You are a Chargers fan.
                    Last edited by BlazingBolt; 10-02-2014, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• Beerman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Eastlake
                      • Send PM

While it's easy to put it all on Norv, don't forget that AJ bombed 4 straight first round picks. I think we've all realize just how important those picks are and just how much one player can change a franchise.

Norv had his warts for sure, but it was a cumulative effort to run the team into the ground. If AJ had kept that offense intact and given Norv his lineman, he maybe could have won it. While his system is antiquated, it does work if the right personnel is in place. Granted it's hard as fuck to have that personnel. AJ just kept letting guys go and replacing them with nothing.

The lost opportunity is the hardest part of it all. Those were some great teams that always underachieved.

Comment

• Boltergeist
                        Pesky apparition
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Baja Oklahoma
                        • Send PM

Yes that is the other most successful stretch of any coach in franchise history. 3 division titles and more regular season wins but one less playoff win.

I don't care what Marty did before it doesn't change the results Norv got. Norv is hated for what the team did before he got here, and that hate robbed many fans from enjoying one of the most successful 3 year stretches in Franchise history because they still feel we were underachieving. I feel sorry for fans who couldn't enjoy the success we were having because of 14-2. Look at the facts, if you didn't enjoy it you have no one to blame but your self.
                        I'm as big a Norv hater as they come, but I have to admit that the 8-8 season supplied some great memories. Cutler melting down in week 16 and then going down hard on Monday (or was it Sunday) night in week 17 was great. The win over the Colts the next week was an absolute blast. FWIW, I didn't hate Norv when he came in. I started having my doubts in his first season, even though it was his best. You just notice signs of poor coaching... or at least I do, or think I do. I wasn't happy about the McCoy hiring, but now I'm seeing signs of what look like excellent coaching to my not expert, but more informed than the average fan's (but not the board's population of above average fans' ) eye.

Comment

• Wheels
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • San Diego
                          • Send PM

I like how you attempt to criticize me for calling him a game manager and then explain reasons why he was a game manager. That team was running and defense oriented with a first year QB, it is not a criticism of Rivers when I say he was a game manager his first year starting.

The only objectivity I am claiming is that Norv's first 3 years was one of the best 3 year stretches in franchise history. I was born in 76 so I didn't see the 79-81 stretch. I find it hard to hate on the guy or AJ for that matter. I agreed with both of them being fired however but I recognize their success as one of the best times for us fans and I personally do find it annoying that others did not and still don't appreciate it. What are you comparing it to? You are a Chargers fan.

I guess in your mind 3300 yards and 22 TD's is game manager. You basically implied he was a career game manager, rather than the reality of being a talented first year starter who performed extremely well. A potential future hall of famer, but yeah he was dog shit before Norv got a hold of him.

By the way, his numbers dropped his 1st year under Norv, he had less TD's, less yards, and more ints.

Comment

Working...
                          X