• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Budsman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Honestly if Rivers would have had management that could put a worth a shit o line in front of him and a worthwhile coaching staff he would have already brought us a ring.
    No rivers was supposed to kick, tackle, sign offensive lineman, coach them and then throw the ball. Since he didn’t he is bad.

Comment

• Budsman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
      I think the $25-30m salary had a lot to do with it. Questioning if the cap could be better suited to other needs is viable but has its risks giving up a proven qb in Rivers. Going with less talent at qb and a good chance at a good qb in the draft makes sense. I still think Rivers is a top qb and behind a good line with weapons is every bit capable at a superbowl run. I just hope we get a long term solution in this draft that has some franchise qualities.
      Do we really need Chris Harris jr? I mean sure he’s a fine player but we have a player at his position. That’s about 10 million there. The signing of Bulaga was great but could have been done with rivers here.

it is what it is, but don’t pretend like we couldn’t have protected rivers this year.

Comment

• bartman83642
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

Do they give ints back to rookies? Do they give the down back of the rookie gets sacked? Nope? Well then there isn’t a difference, we still lose.

So really there isn’t a difference, if you put a rookie behind a horrible line they likely throw MORE interception than Rivers. But hey I’m sure Rivers caused all the ints and it’s all his fault.

:sigh:
        It's bad either way but there is a difference. Big difference is the contract price.

Comment

• RTPbolt
          Charger Fan till the end
          • Jun 2013
          • North Carolina
          • Send PM

To be clear id have kept Rivers 2 more years but would seriously consider drafting a qb this year. I trust Rivers. Our line was the very weak link and Rivers under pressure tries too hard to force plays.

gotta roll with the punches...TT had to make a tough decision but he has balls doing it. Lets hope it pays off.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

You can blame the offensive line only so much for Rivers decline in 2019. He made some really bonehead decisions. It looked to me like he just lost his patience on several occasions and just decided to decided to chuck it up for grabs. He looked frustrated. I feel it was time to move on. Maybe a change of scenery will do for him. But I was very disappointed in some of the decisions he made and feel strongly the best thing to do was to move on from him. This is a very good draft for quarterbacks and the Chargers have a high draft pick. Who knows when this opportunity will come along again. I didn't see Rivers in the role of training his replacement. If the Chargers draft Herbert or Tua, either could end up starting as rookies, providing there is a season this year.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              You can blame the offensive line only so much for Rivers decline in 2019. He made some really bonehead decisions. It looked to me like he just lost his patience on several occasions and just decided to decided to chuck it up for grabs. He looked frustrated. I feel it was time to move on. Maybe a change of scenery will do for him. But I was very disappointed in some of the decisions he made and feel strongly the best thing to do was to move on from him. This is a very good draft for quarterbacks and the Chargers have a high draft pick. Who knows when this opportunity will come along again. I didn't see Rivers in the role of training his replacement. If the Chargers draft Herbert or Tua, either could end up starting as rookies, providing there is a season this year.
              Rivers was obviously not the Rivers of old. He clearly missed Tyrell Williams and even though Benjamin is not a good receiver, at least he had some speed teams had to respect. With no deep speed, a horrible offensive line, Gordon’s stupid holdout and a stale, predictable playbook and you got Rivers feeling he needed to win games by himself and taking too many chances.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                Superbowl?
                • Sep 2018
                • Los Angeles/Chicago
                • Send PM

I'll say out of the 20 INT's 10 were Rivers fault the other 10 were either (let's say 2 of each) the receiver ran the wrong route, the receiver fell down, deflected pass int's, 3rd/4th downs and very long bombs that in essence turned into a punt, the O Line hurried him. So if Rivers threw 10 picks last year we would probably of been 11-5 lost to the Chiefs in the Playoffs and not had the upcoming 6th pick.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BlackMamba View Post
                  Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Rivers say or imply something along the lines of him not being interested in mentoring the next franchise QB? And I wouldn't blame him for that, given the competitor he is, I wouldn't expect anything less. It's not his responsibility, and it would've been in his best interest to COMPETE for the starting spot as long as he can, not help a kid take his job.

Also, I'm sad about him getting booted out of the franchise the way he did as much as the next guy, and we can debate all day about whether it was in the team's best interest to do it now. Only time will tell. But he had 14 years to run the show, and that's a pretty good sample size. He had his chances to take the team all the way, and it just didn't work out for whatever reason. And there was plenty of evidence that showed his deteriorating play this past season. I think some just have to accept that a Super Bowl likely wasn't happening with PR at this point and the dream scenario of a perfect transition to the next franchise QB was just that, a dream.
                  It's not the starting QB's job to mentor a younger QB, no matter what his age is.

The best thing you can hope for is having the starting QB set a level of performance for the rest of the QB room. Show them how to practice, how to watch film, how to interact with the rest of the squad. But a young QB is going to have rely on his QB coach to do a lot of the true teaching, whether you have a pro bowl QB to learn from or not.

I am not happy how Rivers left either. He was still our best chance to win this season. With it being very likely that the only 2 QB who are ready to play being gone, it would have been a useful bridge to develop a younger player for a year or two. Not necessarily an ideal situation, but that is what it is.

Comment

• Silversurfer
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Los Angeles
                    • Send PM

I agree, his play made it easy for us to separate. This is a totally new football team now with no Gates and Rivers from the AJ Smith era, excited to see how it all comes together.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post

I agree, his play made it easy for us to separate. This is a totally new football team now with no Gates and Rivers from the AJ Smith era, excited to see how it all comes together.
                      The fan loyalty for Rivers is understandable. He was the face of the franchise for 15 years and he was a pretty damn good quarterback for most of that time. I think Chargers fans will be surprised, though, how different in a positive way the Chargers look without him. Over the past several seasons I came to regard Rivers as a quarterback capable of putting up really good numbers, but lacking in big game ability. I felt the Chargers should have moved on from him in 2017 when they had a high draft pick with some good quarterback options. I really wanted TT to draft Mahomes. They could have drafted a wide receiver in the second or third round that year that is as good as or better than Mike Williams.

Comment

• Budsman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

did you feel the same way in 2018 when he was pushing for mvp consideration and playing like a top tier qb? It’s lazy to blame it all on rivers, he was not the problem that needed fixing this year he was the scape goat.

I keep hearing all this “rivers doesn’t want to teach a young QB” stuff. Of course he doesn’t but that’s not his job. His job is to go out and compete he doesn’t have time to train a young QB. That’s the job of the coaching staff, what rivers would have done is to teach through example which is what a 16 year veteran like rivers can do more than anyone.

If we were blowing this thing up then sure get a rookie and rebuild but this is an obvious retooling and that means we need to win now with the vets and expiring rookie deals we have on the horizon.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

I think Chargers fans will be surprised, though, how different in a positive way the Chargers look without him.
                          I think it will be just the opposite. Clearly any other QB will have far greater mobility than Rivers does, so that would be about the only positive I see. Since it appears as if Taylor will be our QB next year (unless we draft a rookie who vastly outplays him) people will be surprised in a bad way at how limited the output from our QB position will be. Low turnovers and low output. We better hope our D is the 85 Bears because we'll need it.

Comment

Working...
                          X