Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Didnt hear of Lombo getting a single interview for an OC job
    He might get a job with someone who is an organized and extremely competent head coach who can properly supervise him. He would be an upgrade over Matt Patricia. LOL!
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I agree with you. I never really bought into the idea that a lifetime backup is a good mentor for a young QB.

But, think about this - how many of the QB Coaches and OC's in the league have played QB? The guys who play QB in the NFL have already made so much money that they have no interest in becoming a coach in the league.
      Seems to me in every sport that the players that were not the best in their sport are the ones that make the better coaches. I'm talking mostly football and baseball.
      Throw in basketball as well but I'm not much of a BB fan so don't know as much to comment on.

Daniel just knew the offense well. I thought that was what he was mentoring.
      Now we don't need him and he has his foot in the door to be on TV.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Seems to me in every sport that the players that were not the best in their sport are the ones that make the better coaches. I'm talking mostly football and baseball.
        Throw in basketball as well but I'm not much of a BB fan so don't know as much to comment on.

Can't Run, Can't play Oline, Can't Play Wide Receiver, Can't fix Lombardi...Can't even beat out Herbert with Broken Ribs....just limited benefit to the team when everything goes sideways.
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• JPPT1974
          May Day 2024!
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

He will be up there with the highest paid QB's of all time!

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Not so fast.
            We might if we hire Joe Brady as OC.
            P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
            P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
            P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
            P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Not so fast.
              We might if we hire Joe Brady as OC.
              I don't get the connection. And I'd actually be surprised if they hired Brady but like I said, I don't really care who it is.

Just want better results.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

I don't get the connection. And I'd actually be surprised if they hired Brady but like I said, I don't really care who it is.

Just want better results.
                I hear you.
                the connection is that Brady's first NFL exposure in the NFL was with the Saints (Payton offense)
                which is the same system Lombo tried to run.
                So Chase could still be of value if Brady is hired since presumably, Brady would run a similar system but hopefully more dynamic.
                The call for Joe Brady should appeal to all the posters who defended the system itself, I wasn't one of them, but now see that Lombo's limitations is what really hurt and not so much the system we ran.
                I am hoping to avoid yet another steep learning curve for Herbert by having Brady run a similar system that is palatable for Herbert to continue to build off of.
                i'm confident a bright guy like Joe Brady can see where Justin is in this offense and use those concepts to help him truly threaten the field both vertically and horizontally.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I hear you.
                  the connection is that Brady's first NFL exposure in the NFL was with the Saints (Payton offense)
                  which is the same system Lombo tried to run.
                  So Chase could still be of value if Brady is hired since presumably, Brady would run a similar system but hopefully more dynamic.
                  The call for Joe Brady should appeal to all the posters who defended the system itself, I wasn't one of them, but now see that Lombo's limitations is what really hurt and not so much the system we ran.
                  I am hoping to avoid yet another steep learning curve for Herbert by having Brady run a similar system that is palatable for Herbert to continue to build off of.
                  i'm confident a bright guy like Joe Brady can see where Justin is in this offense and use those concepts to help him truly threaten the field both vertically and horizontally.

If we run the same system, then imo we dont need Daniel. Herbert would be in his 3rd season with it. Id bet he has it down by now.

Im also guessing Herbert is part to blame for the short passes. If you watch replays, we have recievers running deep patterns, he just throws to the short ones. Part of that could also be time to throw or play development.

This i think is where a better QB coach/ passing cordinator comes in to play.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I agree with you. I never really bought into the idea that a lifetime backup is a good mentor for a young QB.

But, think about this - how many of the QB Coaches and OC's in the league have played QB? The guys who play QB in the NFL have already made so much money that they have no interest in becoming a coach in the league.
                    QB coaches and OCs are experts at coaching. There’s little evidence that every lifetime never-play backup QB is a de facto expert coach. Young QBs need great coaches - not aging failed QBs as buddies. hence, fuck Daniel.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

If we run the same system, then imo we dont need Daniel. Herbert would be in his 3rd season with it. Id bet he has it down by now.

Im also guessing Herbert is part to blame for the short passes. If you watch replays, we have recievers running deep patterns, he just throws to the short ones. Part of that could also be time to throw or play development.

A faster WR that can separate earlier would help him a lot too
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Good point, to be clear I haven't wanted Chase as a player taking up a spot since last season. He's contribution is 99% as a mentor so I am in the group that thinks we should've offered him a coaching role perhaps but not a spot on the 53.

If Joe Brady becomes OC and we decide to keep Chase, I'll assume it has Brady's blessings.

But yes, I agree we need a better qb coach and passing game coordinator. When you think about it, who in the past 2 years on this staff has Herbert been able to really learn the position from?
                        Chase? Lombardi? Day? Staley?
                        Sad if that's it.
                        He needs an expert he can turn to any time.
                        thinking that's Zac Robsinson of all the guys we've interviewed thus far.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

QB coaches and OCs are experts at coaching. There’s little evidence that every lifetime never-play backup QB is a de facto expert coach. Young QBs need great coaches - not aging failed QBs as buddies. hence, fuck Daniel.
                          While it's more than time in my mind to move on from Daniel, the reality is nobody here has the faintest idea if he is or isn't a great mentor/unofficial coach.

Comment

Working...
                          X