• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

If we actually had back up QB's who could play . . . . another change TT needs to make this offseason. Get a decent backup who might actually win some games for us so if something like this happens again (god forbid) Justin CAN rest and maybe the season won't go down the tubes. Unfortunately if Justin doesn't play - and play at a high level - this team has a hard time winning and would have zero chance making the playoffs. Chase & Stick are not the answer . . . . . IMO Chase needs to retire, he's basically been stealing money, and Stick can be upgraded. Stick can be the 3rd QB, but we need a true backup where the falloff from JH is not as extreme.
    I don't know how a general manager goes into a season with Super Bowl aspirations and thinks Chase Daniel is a good enough backup. A lot of people were saying Chase was good for Herbert's development in Lombardi's offense. Now Herbert will be in a different offense.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I don't know how a general manager goes into a season with Super Bowl aspirations and thinks Chase Daniel is a good enough backup. A lot of people were saying Chase was good for Herbert's development in Lombardi's offense. Now Herbert will be in a different offense.
      I don’t agree, but general consensus seems to be Herbert regressed in 2022. I hope this puts the final nail in the coffin of the idiotic premise that Chase is a great QB mentor Sherpa to Herbie for the “NO Lombo offense”. That was the most-often cited reason for his LAC existence. I always hated that rationale:

- he’s never been a starting QB - he doesn’t know shit about starting at QB in the NFL - no more than every other guy that stands on a sideline and stares at the starting QB out on the field
      - he’s never played in the /NO system - he had maybe 10 or 20 real snaps his entire career
      - he’s never won shit - he doesnt know how to teach Herbie to be a winner

He could never be a real mentor for a future HOF Qb as he’s never played NFL QB in his entire life and he’s a shitty QB. He doesn’t know anything more than anyone else about being a HOF QB, or even a working QB. It was always the dumbest reason ever.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t agree, but general consensus seems to be Herbert regressed in 2022. I hope this puts the final nail in the coffin of the idiotic premise that Chase is a great QB mentor Sherpa to Herbie for the “NO Lombo offense”. That was the most-often cited reason for his LAC existence. I always hated that rationale:

- he’s never been a starting QB - he doesn’t know shit about starting at QB in the NFL - no more than every other guy that stands on a sideline and stares at the starting QB out on the field
        - he’s never played in the /NO system - he had maybe 10 or 20 real snaps his entire career

He could never be a real mentor for a future HOF Qb as he’s never played NFL QB in his entire life and he’s a shitty QB. He doesn’t know anything more than anyone else about being a HOF QB, or even a working QB. It was always the dumbest reason ever.
        I think the general consensus forgets Herberts broken ribs all year and that limited him to the short passing offense and Lombardi did not open things up very well and he was feeling better.

I for one don't give a fuck what the pundits say. They know nothing going on with this team unless they have an insider to confide in.
        And even the insider is not going to share how banged up Herbert is.

Hec, as far as I know Telesco still hasn't said anything about his injury after his post season press conference.

Chase Daniel should now be cut and hopefully we can sign someone like Gardner Minshew.
        Stick should be cut too. Draft a quarterback in the later rounds.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-26-2023, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Wait, so now the excuse is that Herbert didn't have a good mentor in Chase Daniels?

Why can't we just say that Herbert needs to play leaps and bounds better next year? He has the talent, he just needs that killer attitude now.
          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

I agree with you. I never really bought into the idea that a lifetime backup is a good mentor for a young QB.

But, think about this - how many of the QB Coaches and OC's in the league have played QB? The guys who play QB in the NFL have already made so much money that they have no interest in becoming a coach in the league.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Aikman and Warner both saying Herbert had some deep shots he didn't take. Aikman said he thought Justin went through the read too fast. Warner said he chooses the short route.
              I think he was saving himself from getting hit in the ribs.
              So intentionally getting the ball out quicker. Not staying on the deep route or willing to hold it and step into the face of pressure and deliver those passes.
              No thank you.
              Hey Ekeler be ready for 107 rib saving catches.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

From everything I have seen, the general consensus is that Lombardi's offense was holding Herbert back rather than Herbert regressing.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

From everything I have seen, the general consensus is that Lombardi's offense was holding Herbert back rather than Herbert regressing.
                  Kudos to those of us who saw that as early as last season, I certainly wasn't one of them.
                  I hopped on anti-Lombo train after week 2 iirc.

Lombo simply isn't good, I'm sure he has a place somewhere in the NFL, just not at OC.
                  Maybe assistant head coach for SF.
                  2024: Far From Over

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                    Wait, so now the excuse is that Herbert didn't have a good mentor in Chase Daniels?

Why can't we just say that Herbert needs to play leaps and bounds better next year? He has the talent, he just needs that killer attitude now.
                    I'm not sure if you're referring to me as using that as an excuse. My post was directed at Telseco making a stupid decision for keeping Chase Daniel as the backup. Keeping Chase simply a a mentor to Herbert is ridiculous--because the backup might actually have to play, and maybe for an extended period of time. Now the offensive coordinator is fired, after only two seasons, so what good was it to have Chase help teach and counsel Herbert?

And, as much as I wanted Easton Stick to have potential, why even bother keeping him if he couldn't beat out the backup who was kept only because he knew Lombardi's offense so well?

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

An O where the QB doesn't have cracked rib cartilage, does have better pass pro and an effective run game.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

Absolutely.

Herbert is a big boy, smart as hell, going into year 4, he does not need Chase Daniels and I dont care how good the QB room is. Chargers need a back up who can actually play a little on the field in case he has to go into a football game.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2022
                          • White Rock, BC Canada
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Kudos to those of us who saw that as early as last season, I certainly wasn't one of them.
                          I hopped on anti-Lombo train after week 2 iirc.

Lombo simply isn't good, I'm sure he has a place somewhere in the NFL, just not at OC.
                          Maybe assistant head coach for SF.
                          Didnt hear of Lombo getting a single interview for an OC job

Comment

Working...
                          X