• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I was mesmerized and astonished watching Herbert operate in that first game against the Chiefs. There was one throw late in the game that he fit into Keenan Allen downfield between three Chief defenders that said everything about Herbert. It was a throw no rookie QB would ever make, very few QBs period in the NFL would attempt that throw. But Herbert was fearless, and he had almost no familiarity with Keenan, he didn't even have a preseason in his rookie year and he's making that throw? The games he had in consecutive weeks on the road against Tampa (Brady) and the Saints (Brees) solidified his legitimacy. He threw 7 TD passes against top-ranked defenses. The Chargers shouldn't have lost either of those games. I felt as if Anthony Lynn was caught so off-guard by his rookie QB he didn't know how to handle it. He had no plan to capitalize on it, and in fact at first seemed to resent the fact that Herbert forced him to abandon Tyrod Taylor.

Although Herbert had a stellar second season and set franchise records, I do feel that Lombardi held him back. The fact that Staley chose Lombardi to be Herbert's OC still makes a bit nervous about Staley's qualifications to be a head coach.
    I remember the game and the throw you’re talking about. He started the game leading them on a YD drive that he capped off by running it in from a couple yards out. I had seen enough to say to the people I was watching with that he would be our savior.

I do agree about Staley letting Steichen go and the. Having to settle for Lombardi when none of his choices were available. I thought they should have kept Pep and Steichen. There was something there

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
      Outback Goon
      • Sep 2018
      • Australia
      • Send PM

Shane Steichen is the one that got away

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

I was mesmerized and astonished watching Herbert operate in that first game against the Chiefs. There was one throw late in the game that he fit into Keenan Allen downfield between three Chief defenders that said everything about Herbert. It was a throw no rookie QB would ever make, very few QBs period in the NFL would attempt that throw. But Herbert was fearless, and he had almost no familiarity with Keenan, he didn't even have a preseason in his rookie year and he's making that throw? The games he had in consecutive weeks on the road against Tampa (Brady) and the Saints (Brees) solidified his legitimacy. He threw 7 TD passes against top-ranked defenses. The Chargers shouldn't have lost either of those games. I felt as if Anthony Lynn was caught so off-guard by his rookie QB he didn't know how to handle it. He had no plan to capitalize on it, and in fact at first seemed to resent the fact that Herbert forced him to abandon Tyrod Taylor.

Although Herbert had a stellar second season and set franchise records, I do feel that Lombardi held him back. The fact that Staley chose Lombardi to be Herbert's OC still makes a bit nervous about Staley's qualifications to be a head coach.
        Which is ironic because the narrative is building that Herbert is "too careful" and afraid of making the "wrong decision".
        some go so far as to suggest he's not an elite play maker, even in the national media.
        I just think he's the ultimate student and will do anything the "teacher" tell him to. Shane Steichen as a rookie, then Lombo.

I credit Lombardi during Herbert's second year in teaching him to adjust to NFL defense's adjustments and learning small-ball. That year, defenses defended the longball and forced Herbert to take what's given.
        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Which is ironic because the narrative is building that Herbert is "too careful" and afraid of making the "wrong decision".
          some go so far as to suggest he's not an elite play maker, even in the national media.
          I just think he's the ultimate student and will do anything the "teacher" tell him to. Shane Steichen as a rookie, then Lombo.

I credit Lombardi during Herbert's second year in teaching him to adjust to NFL defense's adjustments and learning small-ball. That year, defenses defended the longball and forced Herbert to take what's given.
          Yes, I agree, and good point about Lombardi.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Marcus Stroman is dealing with the same injury that Chargers QB Justin Herbert dealt with and is taking a different approach.

Amen.
            built HERB tough.
            Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Kellyb72601
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

Staley really got screwed over by both McVeigh & Shanahan. Staley's first choice as OC was Kevin O'connell. He'd been OC in name only for the Rams in 2020 and he was coming here to be OC AND call plays. Technically a coach can block a lateral move but there's an unwritten rule you don't block a guy from making a lateral move where he gets to call plays. But McVeigh blocked that move.

Staley's next choice was Mike McDaniel, who had been run game coordinator for S.F. in 2020. Shanahan promptly gave him the title of O.C. and blocked the move.

Things obviously worked out for both O'Connell & McDaniel but had either of those teams imploded in '21 those guys may have never gotten the opportunity to call plays. Calling plays is a big deal in the career arc of offensive coaches. A lot of things have to go right for a coach to ever have that opportunity & denying a coach that opportunity is frowned upon in the coaching community.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

The only problem with this is that "small ball" is just about ALL Lombo was dialing up...and defenses crowded the flats and forced incompletions and got a lot of picks from that "small ball" philosophy. Had Lombo dialed up more long balls, it would have caused the safeties and some of the LB's to back off the LOS to drop into coverage, thus opening up more "small ball"...

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

Staley really got screwed over by both McVeigh & Shanahan. Staley's first choice as OC was Kevin O'connell. He'd been OC in name only for the Rams in 2020 and he was coming here to be OC AND call plays. Technically a coach can block a lateral move but there's an unwritten rule you don't block a guy from making a lateral move where he gets to call plays. But McVeigh blocked that move.

Staley's next choice was Mike McDaniel, who had been run game coordinator for S.F. in 2020. Shanahan promptly gave him the title of O.C. and blocked the move.

Things obviously worked out for both O'Connell & McDaniel but had either of those teams imploded in '21 those guys may have never gotten the opportunity to call plays. Calling plays is a big deal in the career arc of offensive coaches. A lot of things have to go right for a coach to ever have that opportunity & denying a coach that opportunity is frowned upon in the coaching community.
                  So, in other words, Staley had to settle for Lombo leftovers...kind of like that year in the draft when the top 3 OT's were taken and TT reached for Fluker...so, Lombo was our Fluker--third rate, a reach and a bust...

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

The only problem with this is that "small ball" is just about ALL Lombo was dialing up...and defenses crowded the flats and forced incompletions and got a lot of picks from that "small ball" philosophy. Had Lombo dialed up more long balls, it would have caused the safeties and some of the LB's to back off the LOS to drop into coverage, thus opening up more "small ball"...
                    Don’t panic but Jeff Miller from the LA Times says most of his completions against the Saints yesterday went to RBs

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

Thanks for the background. I did not know this.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Don’t panic but Jeff Miller from the LA Times says most of his completions against the Saints yesterday went to RBs
                        No problem at all throwing to the RB's...if the opposing D gives them space, fine, take it...my issue (one of them at least) with Lombo was the dogged stubbornness of dialing up mostly short routes to our wideouts which were so predictable and fairly easily defended...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

I think his injury forced him into small ball, especially early after the injury. The fact he couldnt throw over the top and was throwing sidearm tells me it didnt feel good to air it out and why we didnt do it much.

Comment

Working...
                          X