Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I have a feeling Derwin will play even better now that he has a vet LB in Kendricks who is decent in coverage AND knows which lanes to fill...AND sure hope the rook Henley turns into a gem also...last chance for K9....
    Haha, don't rip on me please, re Kendricks. I was watching some Saquon Barkley highlights a while back. NYG played Minn twice last season, once in the playoffs. Barkley went off on the Vikes, and he was either running over Kendricks or Kendricks was getting blocked out of the play. Barkley averaged 5.95 ypc over both games and scored 3 TDs. He also had 105 receiving yds over both games.

Minn released Kendricks after the season. The Vikes were 20th in run defense last season, but they were even worse defending the pass.

I'm not sure what to think about Kendricks. I'm going to wait to see if he improves the run defense, or doesn't, before coming to any conclusions about him. I am excited about Daiyan Henley though. He has the "it" factor when you watch his college tape. Kendricks is the perfect mentor for him.

Comment

• jubei
      Vagabond Ninja
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

I will criticize JH for his ho-hum 2nd half! WTH man! But then again he wasnt the highest-paid player at the time so he is excused. This is all facetious of course. I love me some JH...I think even more than I did PR in his prime.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

This is outrageous, scandalous, egregious, unfounded and … ok, it’s an opinion. We all have had moments of getting way too wound up in TPB this off season. I’ve had my share of over-reactions. Ok, not really - all of my reactions were perfectly legitimate, necessary and spot on. Obviously

Herbert is an elite QB, there has never been a QB that didn’t make a mistake. Critics should be more circumspect on how hard it is to play NFL QB. The BEST QB in history had completion % under 70%. So why be so critical of one pass? Only the best QBs don’t implode in a grisly fiery wreck, the NFL is THAT HARD. Herbie not only plays well, he had the best 3 years in the history of ALL QBS EVER. Pause for a moment to let that sink in as this is fact - “the best of all QBs ever”. embrace the best ever, you’re not getting perfection. accept some passes won’t be caught, some plays won’t work. No team ever had every play work and every pass caught. No team ever will. He absolutely deserves his contract and I am ECSTATIC he is locked down thru 2029. He will be a Charger for life, we are beyond fortunate.

Derwin is an elite player and there has never been a Safety in the history of sport that didn’t make a mistake. Derwin does things other Safeties cannot dream about being able to do. You gotta accept he will not win 100% of all plays in every game. No Safety ever has or ever will. Embrace that he makes impact plays all over the field on a regular basis, accept the great that he is and let go of your perfection standard, there is no perfect anything.

you guys are both right for the player you support / defend, you are both wrong for the player you disrespect. Jmo, which as noted is always spot on
        I have mentioned that Herbert is among the four best quarterbacks in the NFL right now, with Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen being the other three. I don't consider anyone else close to those four. Maybe Trevor Lawrence will get there this season or sometime down the road. Deshaun Watson looked like that type of quarterback in 2020, but I don't think he'll return to that level of play. I cringe when people say Lamar Jackson is elite. I think it will be very clear that he's not soon. While other teams are hoping for the best by drafting Bryce Young or C.J. Stroud, or hoping to be in position to draft Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, we're one of four teams to be fortunate enough to have no doubt that we're set with an elite quarterback.

With that said, unlike others, I'm not going to pretend that Herbert is flawless, nor will I look to find another player on this team to put down just so Herbert doesn't receive any blame. That's why I responded the way I did when Velo said that Derwin James needed "to live up to his contract" in a thread that was congratulating Justin Herbert for his contract extension. 21&500 wasn't jumping to Derwin's defense on that one, but when I mentioned how "living up to a contract" applies to all players, including Herbert, and alluded to how Herbert for whatever reason turned into Jeff George on one play, he jumped out of his seat with an overreaction.

If we fast forward a year to Rashawn Slater's extension, and someone makes a ridiculous comment about Derwin James or any other elite player on the team needing to live up to his contract after ONE bad play, I will point out if Slater missed a crucial block or committed a holding penalty that contributed to a devastating loss. The difference is, nobody will get upset about me doing that because Slater doesn't play quarterback. Truthfully, if Slater does make a crucial mistake that leads to Herbert getting sacked or having a touchdown pass called back for holding, I'm sure there will be people on here who will overlook all of the good that Slater did in his young career and complain about how he didn't deserve the extension.

"We win as a team and lose as a team" flies out the window for some people when they're more attached to the quarterback than the team.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

So this sounds like retaliation from any Derwin smack talk.
          No one is above criticism, but the timing was curious, you decide to criticize JH after he just got his 2nd contract?
          and without any context?

that's a trolly move, maybe that's not the intention, but a poor choice motivated by a petty motive. It's a charger board, don't be shocked if I or anyone else defends any player at any given time. I certainly expect it when I engage in criticism I find warranted.
          I don't consider stating a fact a petty or "trolly" move. Herbert did overthrow Allen in the end zone, which was just as bad as Derwin James getting beaten badly by Travis Kelce.

You say, "don't be shocked if I or anyone else defends any player at any given time." Great. The only thing is you didn't say it was "grossly inappropriate" when Velo took a shot at Derwin James in this thread about Justin Herbert. You may have even hit the like button on his post. But, oh my goodness, how awful it was for me to point out the same rules apply to Herbert and his contract! Please.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I don't consider stating a fact a petty or "trolly" move. Herbert did overthrow Allen in the end zone, which was just as bad as Derwin James getting beaten badly by Travis Kelce.

You say, "don't be shocked if I or anyone else defends any player at any given time." Great. The only thing is you didn't say it was "grossly inappropriate" when Velo took a shot at Derwin James in this thread about Justin Herbert. You may have even hit the like button on his post. But, oh my goodness, how awful it was for me to point out the same rules apply to Herbert and his contract! Please.
            I'll re-summarize that you were maybe silly to point to one bad throw and Velo is maybe silly to point to one allowed TD as a reason to criticize. its irrational to make a broad statement of any kind about any player based on one play. Velo went on for a dozen or more pages about the Kelce TD as if that was the only game-winning TD that Kelce ever caught and the only TD any safety had ever given up.

If you thought Velo was wrong, why are you doing the same thing? why not just let it go, bro. lets all hug it out - you and velo first. cmon now - get in there!

Be sure and hit like on this post, its packed with truth. and love

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Heatmiser
              BetterToday ThanYesterday
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Haha, don't rip on me please, re Kendricks. I was watching some Saquon Barkley highlights a while back. NYG played Minn twice last season, once in the playoffs. Barkley went off on the Vikes, and he was either running over Kendricks or Kendricks was getting blocked out of the play. Barkley averaged 5.95 ypc over both games and scored 3 TDs. He also had 105 receiving yds over both games.

Minn released Kendricks after the season. The Vikes were 20th in run defense last season, but they were even worse defending the pass.

I'm not sure what to think about Kendricks. I'm going to wait to see if he improves the run defense, or doesn't, before coming to any conclusions about him. I am excited about Daiyan Henley though. He has the "it" factor when you watch his college tape. Kendricks is the perfect mentor for him.
              Well Ed Donatell was the Vikes’ DC last year. And he tried to run the Fangio defense like Joe Barry did in GB and Joe Woods did in Clev and it was a disaster. There was a really good video assessment of it and it showed the Vikings extensively. So I would not base too much on last season. The logical rebuttal is, of course. that Staley is ALSO running the Fangio defense.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

If that's your protest, I submit.
                I have sinned before and I'll sin tomorrow.
                I did not notice what thread it was, nor did I care.
                I DID notice your comment and it's timing so I responded to you. I don't know how that compares frankly, but at least we're getting to the root of it.
                I did like his comment, it was a risky but fair take and I knew we would be in the minority but well worth supporting, again, no player is above criticism.
                It's the timing of your post that smelled trollish, and to some degree I think you're revealing that, that's true since there is this consistent comparison between criticisms made between JG and DJ.
                I promise there is no discrimination between posters, you and Velo are my TPB brothers no more no less and I don't think I'm being inconsistent in my responses but if I am I'm sorry, it's not intentional.
                EOD, we disagree about what constitutes appropriate criticisms, that's fine. I'd hate to have a triangulated relationship between any Charger player, charger fan and myself.
                We're all on the same page and wish every player success.

Boltup.

Edit: special thanks to DMAC for acting as our forum-marriage counselor. Hope he doesn't charge much.
                P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Yep, teams don’t release guys who are the key to their defense. They do release guys who they think have had their best days. We’ll see if MN was right or wrong about Kendricks

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

If that's your protest, I submit.
                    I have sinned before and I'll sin tomorrow.
                    I did not notice what thread it was, nor did I care.
                    I DID notice your comment and it's timing so I responded to you. I don't know how that compares frankly, but at least we're getting to the root of it.
                    I did like his comment, it was a risky but fair take and I knew we would be in the minority but well worth supporting, again, no player is above criticism.
                    It's the timing of your post that smelled trollish, and to some degree I think you're revealing that, that's true since there is this consistent comparison between criticisms made between JG and DJ.
                    I promise there is no discrimination between posters, you and Velo are my TPB brothers no more no less and I don't think I'm being inconsistent in my responses but if I am I'm sorry, it's not intentional.
                    EOD, we disagree about what constitutes appropriate criticisms, that's fine. I'd hate to have a triangulated relationship between any Charger player, charger fan and myself.
                    We're all on the same page and wish every player success.

Boltup.

Edit: special thanks to DMAC for acting as our forum-marriage counselor. Hope he doesn't charge much.

Just remember - you get what you pay for . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

What if Kendricks > K9...

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                        Yep, teams don’t release guys who are the key to their defense. They do release guys who they think have had their best days. We’ll see if MN was right or wrong about Kendricks
                        Precisely.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

What if Kendricks > K9...
                          Haha. Kendricks can be better than K9 and still not be that great. K9 is a pretty low bar. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                          X