• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Give him a pain shot for gods sakes. The ribs were a valid excuse. A broken finger in your non throwing hand is not
    Yeah, I'm not a Tom Brady fan, but he played well during the 2017 AFC Championship Game with 25 stitches on the thumb of his throwing hand. Brett Favre played more than half of a season with a broken right thumb and got his team to the Divisional Round of the playoffs. Steve Young also played several weeks with a broken thumb on his throwing hand and got the 49ers to the NFC Championship Game. What Herbert is going through sucks, I feel for him, but let's be real here.

Comment

• BigBad
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

Young Keenan and old Antonio were not exactly speed merchants.

Deebo, Kittle and Aiyuk are not 3/4 rths of an Olympic 100 m relay team.

Just a tad too much infatuation with elite speed because of Miami,
      who will fade in December.
      Look at the post you quoted. I said ACTUAL WEAPONS. I understand that doesn't necessarily mean just speed. The offense is massively overrated as far as talent is concerned.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Yeah, I'm not a Tom Brady fan, but he played well during the 2017 AFC Championship Game with 25 stitches on the thumb of his throwing hand. Brett Favre played more than half of a season with a broken right thumb and got his team to the Divisional Round of the playoffs. Steve Young also played several weeks with a broken thumb on his throwing hand and got the 49ers to the NFC Championship Game. What Herbert is going through sucks, I feel for him, but let's be real here.
        you tell him, tough guy! Lol …
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

Young Keenan and old Antonio were not exactly speed merchants.

Deebo, Kittle and Aiyuk are not 3/4 rths of an Olympic 100 m relay team.

Just a tad too much infatuation with elite speed because of Miami,
          who will fade in December.
          Speed has nothing to do with Deebo and Kittle being amazing after the catch and piling up yards. Something Keenan doesn't do. Aiyuk is averaging 17 yards per reception. Keenan averages 11 yards per catch over his career.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Speed has nothing to do with Deebo and Kittle being amazing after the catch and piling up yards. Something Keenan doesn't do. Aiyuk is averaging 17 yards per reception. Keenan averages 11 yards per catch over his career.
            He's been a very good player but I think Allens value is a bit overstated at times compared to the other receivers in the league who bring more to the field. Allen has been very good, solid steady. But the other side of the field needs a player with some sizzle and juice. Allen would even be better if he had a player that could open up things for him. Williams doesn't do that as he doesn't get open

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

He's been a very good player but I think Allens value is a bit overstated at times compared to the other receivers in the league who bring more to the field. Allen has been very good, solid steady. But the other side of the field needs a player with some sizzle and juice. Allen would even be better if he had a player that could open up things for him. Williams doesn't do that as he doesn't get open
              100 % true.

Keenan is a very good player who has a had a great career as a great route runner and possession WR

We do not have the alpha X WR. We all like Mike, and yes he is a great jump ball artist but he isn't fast, he doesn't separate, and he doesn't stay healthy. Looking objectively I would have to say that two 1000 yard seasons in 7 years(barely over) is disappointing for an 8th overall drafted WR

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

From the Athletic (not everyone shares the Herbert is broken thought):

Ranking NFL QBs in the biggest moments: The Athletic’s QB Reliability Index through Week 7

​Leadership from the quarterback position is certainly important, but the message truly resonates when it works in tandem with on-field performance. The Vikings’ Kirk Cousins was a great example of that in Monday’s statement win over the 49ers and we’re aiming to quantify that impact in our weekly assessment of the quarterback position.​

Rather than an overall evaluation of quarterback play, we’re going to focus solely on the game’s most important moments and use The Athletic’s Quarterback Reliability Index (QRI) to rank the NFL’s current primary starters in those situations.

The QRI is a model that measures quarterback performance in high-leverage situations as a way to quantify the level to which a team relies on that player’s ability when it matters most. These high-level situations include third- and fourth-down plays and late-game sequences all while filtering out plays in which the in-game win probability is greater than 80% for either team. In other words, when the game is on the line, this metric attempts to evaluate how well a quarterback has gotten the job done.

Passing- and rushing-related metrics within the model include versions of:
                • Expected points added (EPA)
                • Success rate (play with a positive EPA is considered a successful play)
                • Win probability added (WPA)

Using the metrics, the model calculates a rating similar to Wins Above Replacement (WAR) in baseball. The rating represents how many wins better the given QB has been than a replacement-level QB in the aforementioned high-leverage situations and then prorated over the course of a 17-game season.

For a more thorough evaluation, the index includes data from all games since the start of the 2022 season (for applicable players) with recent games weighted more heavily. Until more games are played, rookies and newer starters have smaller sample sizes and will be more susceptible to bigger swings. We’re solely including this season’s primary starting quarterbacks for a cleaner ranking.
                1 Patrick Mahomes Chiefs 7.1
                2 Jimmy Garoppolo Raiders 6.8
                3 Brock Purdy 49ers 5.8
                4 Josh Allen Bills 5.8
                5 Jared Goff Lions 5.7
                6 Justin Herbert Chargers 5.3
                7 Lamar Jackson Ravens 5.3
                8 Jalen Hurts Eagles 5.1
                9 Tua Tagovailoa Dolphins 5.1
                10 Trevor Lawrence Jaguars 4.9
                11 Matthew Stafford Rams 4.7
                12 Dak Prescott Cowboys 4.6
                13 Joe Burrow Bengals 4.3
                14 C.J. Stroud* Texans 4.3
                15 Geno Smith Seahawks 2.6
                16 Kirk Cousins Vikings 2.5
                17 Desmond Ridder Falcons 2.2
                18 Daniel Jones Giants 2.0
                19 Baker Mayfield Buccaneers 1.6
                20 Gardner Minshew Colts 1.4
                21 Kenny Pickett Steelers 1.4
                22 Mac Jones Patriots 1.4
                23 Anthony Richardson* Colts 0.9
                24 Justin Fields Bears 0.8
                25 Ryan Tannehill Titans 0.6
                26 Russell Wilson Broncos 0.5
                27 Tyrod Taylor Giants 0.4
                28 Derek Carr Saints -0.4
                29 Bryce Young* Panthers -1.6
                30 Deshaun Watson Browns -1.6
                31 Zach Wilson Jets -1.9
                32 Jordan Love Packers -1.9
                33 Sam Howell Commanders -2.3
                34 P.J. Walker Browns -2.6
                35 Joshua Dobbs Cardinals -2.8
                * Rookie (only 2023 stats included)

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

100 % true.

Keenan is a very good player who has a had a great career as a great route runner and possession WR

We do not have the alpha X WR. We all like Mike, and yes he is a great jump ball artist but he isn't fast, he doesn't separate, and he doesn't stay healthy. Looking objectively I would have to say that two 1000 yard seasons in 7 years(barely over) is disappointing for an 8th overall drafted WR
                  Right now - next year -- not counting dead cap - these are the salaries of Allen Mack Bosa and Williams

Mack: 23m
                  Bosa: 22m
                  Allen: 23
                  Williams 20

If any of them are back, I think all four would need to take a pay cut for the value they bring along with the injury concern especially for Bosa and Williams. None are worth pushing cap for. Allen should be on teh larry fitzgerald contract from next year on

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Right now - next year -- not counting dead cap - these are the salaries of Allen Mack Bosa and Williams

Mack: 23m
                    Bosa: 22m
                    Allen: 23
                    Williams 20

If any of them are back, I think all four would need to take a pay cut for the value they bring along with the injury concern especially for Bosa and Williams. None are worth pushing cap for
                    Keenan Allen is earning $19 mil this season. He's due to earn $23.1 mil next year, but it's not guaranteed. They can cut him and take a dead cap hit of $11.6 mil. But why would they? Keenan is one of the best WRs in the league, he's playing the best football of his career. He is 5th in the league in receiving. He is averaging 96 yds per game and his completion percentage is 72 percent. He's scored 4 TDs in 6 games. All of these numbers put him an elite category among the league's WRs. He is earning every penny of his contract.

Mack is earning $22.9 mil this season and is due to earn $23.3 mil next season, the final year of his contract. I don't know if they can get out of his contract. But Mack is also having a great season. He has 7 sacks, which is 4th in the league, just two behind the league lead. He's half a sack behind Myles Garrett. The one thing the Chargers' defense does well is get to the QB. Their sack rate of 3.67 per game is 3rd in the league. And Mack has a lot to do with that, not just his sacks, but the attention he demands that allows other Charger defenders to get to the QB. So to say he's not earning his money this season is not accurate. Another thing about Mack, is that he plays every game. He has not missed a game since coming to the Chargers. In his career, he missed 2 games for the Bears in 2018 and 7 games in 2021. But he's started every other game in his career, and this is his 10th season.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Keenan Allen is earning $19 mil this season. He's due to earn $23.1 mil next year, but it's not guaranteed. They can cut him and take a dead cap hit of $11.6 mil. But why would they? Keenan is one of the best WRs in the league, he's playing the best football of his career. He is 5th in the league in receiving. He is averaging 96 yds per game and his completion percentage is 72 percent. He's scored 4 TDs in 6 games. All of these numbers put him an elite category among the league's WRs. He is earning every penny of his contract.

Mack is earning $22.9 mil this season and is due to earn $23.3 mil next season, the final year of his contract. I don't know if they can get out of his contract. But Mack is also having a great season. He has 7 sacks, which is 4th in the league, just two behind the league lead. He's half a sack behind Myles Garrett. The one thing the Chargers' defense does wellis get to the QB. Their sack rate of 3.67 per game is 3rd in the league. And Mack has a lot to do with that, not just his sacks, but the attention he demands that allows other Charger defenders to get to the QB. So to say he's not earning his money this season is not accurate. Another thing about Mack, is that he plays every game. He has not missed a game since coming to the Chargers. In his career, he missed 2 games for the Bears in 2018 and 7 games in 2021. But he's started every other game in his career, and this is his 10th season.
                      Mack had six sacks in one game - lets see what he does the other 15 games not against the Raiders. If he finishes the year with 10 sacks and 8 come against the Raiders - - -plus one thing about Mack - the defense is still 30th in the league with him

Allen is a fine player - but for me - he will not be worth $23.1m -- I think he would be worth about $12-14m range on a per year salary. The Fitzgerald contract

End of the day for me - the Chargers can make the tough decisions this offseason and set Justin Herbert up for 3-5 years or they can push cap on older players, and not build around Herbert.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Allen is a fine player - but for me - he will not be worth $23.1m -- I think he would be worth about $12-14m range on a per year salary.
                        Allen is an elite WR. He's the only reliable weapon Herbert has right now. He is earning every penny of his contract. I don't understand why you don't see it, but that is your thing.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                          Allen is an elite WR. He's the only reliable weapon Herbert has right now. He is earning every penny of his contract. I don't understand why you don't see it, but that is your thing.
                          Agree. He’s the best player on the team right now. The only guy who goes out and balls week in and week out. The only guy you can count on. Can’t count on Bosa, James, Mack or Herbert. The first 2 are non factors, the send 2 are inconsistent

Comment

Working...
                          X