• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

All I'm saying is that we should have an open mind to all options. And that giving Herbert the richest contract in NFL history may not be the best thing for the franchise moving forward, as strange as that sounds. Because to me it all hinges on year 4 - if it's another year of "Social Media QB," ie pretty throws but no signature wins, then I'm for moving on.

Because nobody is going to look back on the Watson and Murray deals (and now probably Lamar and Herbert) and say, "Wow, they really made a great choice there."
    I really like Herbert a lot. Some fans act as though he's never thrown a bad pass in a Chargers uniform. I'm not close to that level, and I would prefer to pay him less than the rest of the top quarterbacks, but right now I would give him the highest-paid contract if that's what is required. He's a top-five quarterback. Some can make the argument he's top three. Although we were fortunate enough to go from Rivers to Herbert, I don't think we'll be nearly as lucky when Herbert is no longer our quarterback. If we let Herbert go because we don't want to pay him the highest contract, we'll more likely end up with someone such as Derek Carr or worse. No...thanks.

As far as I'm concerned it's on Staley and Telesco to build the championship team around Herbert.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

There's a good chance this team doesn't make the playoffs this year. That would be year 4 with no signature wins under his belt.
      I'm not giving in to the doom and gloom.

Herbert being healthy will help. Along with better talent surrounding him.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Some of these comments are utterly astonishing, but I guess with how negative this place is turning I shouldn't be surprised.. He will be signed long term with the Chargers. He will be either the highest paid at the time of signing or right up there. And it will be a great signing.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          Some of these comments are utterly astonishing, but I guess with how negative this place is turning I shouldn't be surprised.. He will be signed long term with the Chargers. He will be either the highest paid at the time of signing or right up there. And it will be a great signing.
          Everyone's got the right to their own opinions . . . . . . but if we don't sign Herbert we're the dumbest organization on the planet. Imagine this team without him . . . . . . . shudders

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Everyone's got the right to their own opinions . . . . . . but if we don't sign Herbert we're the dumbest organization on the planet. Imagine this team without him . . . . . . . shudders
            Or course they do. The notion that we let Herbert walk because he has not won a playoff game yet - yikes.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Or course they do. The notion that we let Herbert walk because he has not won a playoff game yet - yikes.
              I doubt that's management's position . . . . . . .

Comment

• Boltx
                Dominate the day
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

He will likely go his first four years without a playoff win or really any win of significant meaning.

And yes, he will likely get paid MAINLY out of fear of the team not being able to land another QB. And if that's your rationale for wanting to sign him long term, that's fine. Look at Lamar and how he held the Ravens hostage.

But it will be met with the same skepticism and head scratching that the deals that guys like Watson, Murray and now arguably Lamar. At least until he does something. Social Media QB until proven otherwise IMO.
                ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post
                  Imagine this team without him . . . . . . . shudders
                  I dunno, the trophy case is empty either way.

I get it, after Brees and Rivers nobody wants to wander thru the QB wilderness. But what if we had cut bait with Rivers a few years earlier and had a chance at Josh Allen or Mahomes? Huge hypothetical, I know, but the point I'm trying to make is that sometimes other doors can open. Just getting the same vibes from Herbert that I got from Rivers after 2009 - nice stats, great teammate, but probably not enough to be generational and overcome other deficiencies around him. Happy to be wrong.
                  ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2022
                    • Send PM

I get it, after Brees and Rivers nobody wants to wander thru the QB wilderness. But what if we had cut bait with Rivers a few years earlier and had a chance at Josh Allen or Mahomes? Huge hypothetical, I know, but the point I'm trying to make is that sometimes other doors can open. Just getting the same vibes from Herbert that I got from Rivers after 2009 - nice stats, great teammate, but probably not enough to be generational and overcome other deficiencies around him. Happy to be wrong.
                    We still would have had Anthony Lynn as our head coach.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

He will likely go his first four years without a playoff win or really any win of significant meaning.

And yes, he will likely get paid MAINLY out of fear of the team not being able to land another QB. And if that's your rationale for wanting to sign him long term, that's fine. Look at Lamar and how he held the Ravens hostage.

But it will be met with the same skepticism and head scratching that the deals that guys like Watson, Murray and now arguably Lamar. At least until he does something. Social Media QB until proven otherwise IMO.
                      My problem with this take is that Herbert is not faintly close to the reason for not having a playoff win in 3 seasons.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

THIS is our issue . . . . . . Rivers was expected to make chicken salad out of chickens***, and Herbert's in the same boat. So far he's dealt with 1 year of Anthony Lynn, and 2 years of Staley / Lombardi. I see Moore as an improvement, but the defense will still be a boat anchor in 23, and Staley will still be Staley. Herbert's expected / required to be the savior - that's a heavy load for a young guy . . . . . . .Imagine what this team would be like with Geno Smith at QB, or Daniel Jones, or Matt Jones . . . . or any other average QB. We'd be lucky to win 6 games a year with a QB who is league average . . . . . . and I'm being generous.

I believe JH can get us a championship, but he cannot do it alone . . . . . . .

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Wait, what? Brees and Rivers? That’s why you don’t sign Herbie? Cuz all those SB trophies they won for us (that seems to be your metric..).

Comment

Working...
                          X