Clear All
  • Charge!
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

i don't usually "fix" things but i think this is important

"In game one (with two cracked ribs), Tyrod Taylor had a QBR of 25.6"
    In one game.....TT looked and played like he has his entire career....

When Lynn stupidly said there is a reason Herbert is a backup....... hello..... there are many reasons why TT has been a career backup....... multiple teams and multiple coaches and the entire media can see that.....

Taylor made playoffs one year by barely beating bad teams in very low scoring games..... he got blown out every time he played a good team.....

Lynn was going to start a bad QB with cracked ribs over a healthy rookie with huge upside and way more talent..... just like Marty chose to keep Tim Dwight with a punctured lung over a young talented WR fan-favorite named Welker who was the Chargers best rookie in pre-season.....Dwight never played another down and Welker stared for NE for many years..... all because of the stubbornness of an old school too conservative coach.....

Lynn treats Taylor like he was an aging star vet like Brady, Manning, Brees, ...... etc.....

Lynn was also in love with Cardell Jones, who never amounted to anything ....even being a good backup...... so Lynns judgement of QB's is not the best......

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

In one game.....TT looked and played like he has his entire career....

When Lynn stupidly said there is a reason Herbert is a backup....... hello..... there are many reasons why TT has been a career backup....... multiple teams and multiple coaches and the entire media can see that.....

Taylor made playoffs one year by barely beating bad teams in very low scoring games..... he got blown out every time he played a good team.....

Lynn was going to start a bad QB with cracked ribs over a healthy rookie with huge upside and way more talent..... just like Marty chose to keep Tim Dwight with a punctured lung over a young talented WR fan-favorite named Welker who was the Chargers best rookie in pre-season.....Dwight never played another down and Welker stared for NE for many years..... all because of the stubbornness of an old school too conservative coach.....

Lynn treats Taylor like he was an aging star vet like Brady, Manning, Brees, ...... etc.....

Lynn was also in love with Cardell Jones, who never amounted to anything ....even being a good backup...... so Lynns judgement of QB's is not the best......
      Fire! Love it

not disagreeing with any of that, except, Tyrod did look noticeably slower to me week 1
      hey I think Tyrod is seriously one of the best backup qbs in the league and his place is rightfully behind Herbert in a mentor role who can step in in case of injury and win a game or two.
      2024: Far From Over

Comment

• JustAnotherFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2020
        • Send PM

Ya, TT is in that strange place for a QB, too good to be a backup, not good enough to be a starter.

Comment

• Parcells
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
          Ya, TT is in that strange place for a QB, too good to be a backup, not good enough to be a starter.
          You’re being kind. TT isn’t good enough to be a starter on a decent team. By definition, that means he’s a backup. He’s a guy that can give you 1-2 ok quarters in a pinch. But if you’re rolling him out every week you’re not doing anything. After week 1, I was so disinterested by what I saw that when people told me congrats on the victory, my response was that all we’d done was to hurt our draft stock. Fast forward a week later, and I have a lot of optimism about this team’s future with Herbert. And I’m a guy that reacted quite negatively when we took him.

Comment

• Budsman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

You’re being kind. TT isn’t good enough to be a starter on a decent team. By definition, that means he’s a backup. He’s a guy that can give you 1-2 ok quarters in a pinch. But if you’re rolling him out every week you’re not doing anything. After week 1, I was so disinterested by what I saw that when people told me congrats on the victory, my response was that all we’d done was to hurt our draft stock. Fast forward a week later, and I have a lot of optimism about this team’s future with Herbert. And I’m a guy that reacted quite negatively when we took him.
            +1 almost entirely.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

DJ breaking down Herbert.....

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

This story about Herbert's family reacting to his last-second start is a really good read. They were as shocked as all of us.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  This story about Herbert's family reacting to his last-second start is a really good read. They were as shocked as all of us.

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news...ce-last-sunday
                  Really good read.
                  Loved Howe moth is HS coach got. Family it’s expected.
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Add up all these details about how JH was raised and his coaching from little league
                    paints a picture of a physical, emotional and mental giant, confident and ready to ...
                    wait for it...
                    relentlessly seek improvement!
                    which frankly should be his main goal, the winning will come as a consequence, kid has the right mentality

it’s a blessing he went to Oregon, if he went to LSU or Ohio st. He would be a Bengal.
                    2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Justin Herbert named rookie of the week for his performance vs KC. I'm thinking he is going to be OROY. It will be between him and Burrow IMO.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Any word on TT? Do we need to send the charger doctor in again? #StartHerbert!
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Daniel Popper makes some guess and answers some questions about Herbert:
                          https://theathletic.com/2094424/2020...t-win-the-job/
                          If Herbert plays well this week and we win, do you think he keeps the starting job?
                          As I wrote in the previous answer, I think Taylor will be healthy enough to play by Week 5 at the Saints, which is a Monday night game. Based on that projection, Justin Herbert will have two more starts to prove he should be the guy moving forward. The Chargers will need to win both games if Herbert is to remain the starter. But beyond that, Herbert will have to not turn the ball over and showcase dependable decision-making in key moments — something he did not do against the Chiefs.

I don’t see Herbert having significant issues against a pretty middling Panthers defense, especially in terms of talent on paper. But the Bucs will provide a much stiffer test. Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, the former Jets head coach, has an outstanding defensive mind. He loves to bring pressure in the form of exotic blitzes, which will test how much Herbert has learned as far as changing protections and operating at the line of scrimmage. If the Chargers have a rough day against Bowles’ defense, that could spell the end of Herbert’s time as starter, assuming he is still starting at that point.

But if Herbert comes away with two wins and continues to inject some life into this Chargers offense along the way, all while avoiding giveaways, Lynn will face a very difficult decision.

Lynn said they only had 1/2 the playbook for Herbert in week 2. Did they have full playbook available for Tyrod week 1? Also, if Herbert isn’t ready to run full playbook, isn’t that on the coaching staff to@make sure their backup QB can come in and execute?
                          Just to clarify here: Lynn said Herbert had taken less than half of the reps in practice, not that Herbert only knew half the playbook. From a mental standpoint, Herbert is comfortable with the offense and knows the full playbook. But teams install new plays each week tailored to the opponent — particularly for specific situations, like red zone and short yardage. Taylor was getting most — if not all — of these reps in practice. That is typical for any NFL team. So with Herbert in the game, the Chargers were more limited with what they could call in those situations, which at least partly explains the conservative play-calling in the red zone in the fourth quarter and Lynn’s decision to punt in overtime on fourth-and-1.

Herbert said Friday that he worked on these situational plays with quarterbacks coach Pep Hamilton after practice in the week leading up to the Chiefs game. But that is entirely different than running the plays full speed with the whole offense. This shouldn’t be an indictment of the coaching staff. The idea is to get your starters ready while making sure your backups can at least operate effectively if called upon. I feel like the Chargers did this successfully.

Herbert took the majority of the first-team reps this week, so that problem will not arise against the Panthers.

To answer your other question: Yes, the full playbook was available with Taylor starting in Week 1.

With Herbert in instead of Taylor, which offensive playmaker will benefit the most? Who will benefit the least?
                          I think Keenan Allen will benefit the most. You saw the discrepancy in his production. Allen only caught four balls for 37 yards with Taylor throwing to him in Week 1. He caught seven balls for 96 yards against the Chiefs. And he had two more targets in Week 2. Allen thrives in tight spaces and needs a quarterback who is willing to fit the ball into smaller windows. Taylor typically avoids risks like this. But Herbert proved Sunday he isn’t afraid to let it fly. That 25-yard completion to Allen over the middle is a perfect example.

Mike Williams will probably benefit the least, largely because he and Taylor had developed a great rapport during training camp. In Week 1, it was clear Taylor was comfortable throwing deep to Williams, and just as importantly, he was putting the ball up in the air for Williams to make plays in 50-50 situations. Herbert doesn’t have the same chemistry yet with Williams and, against the Chiefs, was looking more for tight end Hunter Henry and Allen. Herbert targeted Williams on a deep ball against Kansas City but waited too long to release it and didn’t put enough air on it.

Comment

Working...
                          X