• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

dude ain't gonna play.... Lynn is way too far down the Tyrod road to even contemplate a Herbert unveiling, and given that this season is basically defunct before it's even crowned will be cause for Herbert's first year to end abruptly, and as CoVid 19 will soon catch "electionitis" and be back w/a vengeance (well) before the election.

this team will be minus Rivers, MG, Russell, still has little @3T, little @the IOL, and if they insist on keeping Denzel on the bench for the most part, don't know how you can expect us to better our outing last season ?? granted, we could stand to be healthier than last year, albeit not sure what would lead us to believe/expect that ?? and as someone or a coupla few players of import most always go down.

and expecting our Oline to be better than last year is def of the half full variety, as Pouncey is just as much if not more a ? than last year, Lamp and/or Feeney is true mystery theatre, and counting on Pipkins his sophomore go round pure folly.... and everyone lauds Trai Turner as a five time Pro Bowler, but if I'm not mistaken his PFF rating was rather middling last season ?? and chances are that Bryan doesn't see the field for a coupla few games either.... Pipkins should be backing him up, not holding down the blindside on his own (Jason Peters pls)

and as a sidebar, and re: hoping we (finally) draft an OT next year.... who's to say we can/will resist the skill position player candy the next time around ??

re: Herbert.... sure wouldn't want to see a Ryan Leaf repeat, as hoping Shane is not Kevin Gilbride, and then again not sure he has made it evident that he is any sort of QB whisperer ??

Herbert (along w/Pipkins and a coupla few others) needs to be put in deep storage and brought along patiently.... there is no excuse for not playing things all the way out w/Taylor, and as regardless can't see Telesco and Lynn suddenly jumping ship and switching the channel to Herbert.... Lynn was still throwing Philip under the bus in his last video.... all he wants is to go back to his time in Buffalo w/TT.... why bother w/a project in Herbert when your race car QB has been sitting in the shop for a year and is primed to go !! ….Herbert is the one that needs to go in for "repairs," or whose ship needs to stay in port until he is deemed seeworthy, and....

not sure the Tom, Anthony, Tyrod trifecta is gonna payoff, or @least not for as many wins as we had last season, albeit and as always.... hope springs eternal.
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
      dude ain't gonna play.... Lynn is way too far down the Tyrod road to even contemplate a Herbert unveiling, and given that this season is basically defunct before it's even crowned will be cause for Herbert's first year to end abruptly, and as CoVid 19 will soon catch "electionitis" and be back w/a vengeance (well) before the election.

this team will be minus Rivers, MG, Russell, still has little @3T, little @the IOL, and if they insist on keeping Denzel on the bench for the most part, don't know how you can expect us to better our outing last season ?? granted, we could stand to be healthier than last year, albeit not sure what would lead us to believe/expect that ?? and as someone or a coupla few players of import most always go down.

and expecting our Oline to be better than last year is def of the half full variety, as Pouncey is just as much if not more a ? than last year, Lamp and/or Feeney is true mystery theatre, and counting on Pipkins his sophomore go round pure folly.... and everyone lauds Trai Turner as a five time Pro Bowler, but if I'm not mistaken his PFF rating was rather middling last season ?? and chances are that Bryan doesn't see the field for a coupla few games either.... Pipkins should be backing him up, not holding down the blindside on his own (Jason Peters pls)

and as a sidebar, and re: hoping we (finally) draft an OT next year.... who's to say we can/will resist the skill position player candy the next time around ??

re: Herbert.... sure wouldn't want to see a Ryan Leaf repeat, as hoping Shane is not Kevin Gilbride, and then again not sure he has made it evident that he is any sort of QB whisperer ??

Herbert (along w/Pipkins and a coupla few others) needs to be put in deep storage and brought along patiently.... there is no excuse for not playing things all the way out w/Taylor, and as regardless can't see Telesco and Lynn suddenly jumping ship and switching the channel to Herbert.... Lynn was still throwing Philip under the bus in his last video.... all he wants is to go back to his time in Buffalo w/TT.... why bother w/a project in Herbert when your race car QB has been sitting in the shop for a year and is primed to go !! ….Herbert is the one that needs to go in for "repairs," or whose ship needs to stay in port until he is deemed seeworthy, and....

not sure the Tom, Anthony, Tyrod trifecta is gonna payoff, or @least not for as many wins as we had last season, albeit and as always.... hope springs eternal.
      Rats, I was hoping that with a top 5 defense we could be the first NFL team in history to have a rookie QB take us to the superbowl. LOL!
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Starts when he needs to, like all rookie high pick QBs.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          No one is suggesting he is fragile.

I don't know what other people are suggesting or why (exactly) but to me you can't start him because Hebert is inaccurate and he needs to get a handle on that, because he didn't play ANYWHERE near his ability. IT impacts his ability to get the ball out, and hit the throwing windows for the very limited Oregon playbook.
          I've made some comments about Herbert's inner world. Of course it's all just my best guess based on what I've seen from Herbert and also shared personality traits. The three things I really like about Herbert's "intangibles" are his intelligence (or focus really), humility, and wisdom I'll call it. I think I witnessed his wisdom when he answered the question about if he thought he was ready to start right away. It's an answer that I did not expect from a young twenty-something year old. And the inner strength to say such a thing when I'm pretty sure that most football people would have preferred he said "Hell yes, I'm ready!" was enlightening. He was more reflective about his situation...and to me that's wisdom. And wisdom comes from tapping your inner strength. IMO it does.

So you have three hugely important intangibles with Herbert. I'm confident he can reverse some poor habits and refine his game due to his high coach-ability factor. And oh yeah, as others here have mentioned, he's very competitive. So I think all Herbert really needs is time AND good coaching to learn what works at the NFL level and what doesn't. And I think mixed in all of that needs to be appreciation for Herbert's introverted ways. Because that's who he is. And I want him to be the best Justin Herbert he can be (as a person and as a player). I've also read he's got an open mind and that can only help him learn of course.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Rats, I was hoping that with a top 5 defense we could be the first NFL team in history to have a rookie QB take us to the superbowl. LOL!
            I think most of us have had that dream.
            #herbertstartsin2020
            P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
            P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
            P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
            P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by AsaFLBoltfan View Post

What it means is the notion that QBs that are high draft picks sitting for a year or more, is ancient History. In the last 12 years the only 5 who’ve done completely sucked, besides Mahommes the other 4 were terrible. I’m not saying he should start Wk 1, but if he doesn’t 6-8 starts this season it’s a waste. You go into 2021 with no idea with what he’s even capable of in real game time/speed. If Tyrod has the team at 7-3/6-4 at the 10 game mark, don’t think you can bench him can you? No real game reps this season, means your almost wasting 2 seasons.
              They will have an idea. He will play in preseason games, which is something. He will get a lot of practice time as well.
              When Rivers sat and his time came to start I remember Gates and OL Roman Oben saying he had been lighting up our defense in scrimmages on a weekly basis and he was ready.

Practice does matter even if it isn't a real game. But I agree, he don't have to start week one and he may get some starts if Tyrod isn't doing well or we aren't winning, but I also don't think it's a bad thing if he sits and watches all year.

We'll see how it goes. When they feel he is ready is when I'll be happy to see him play. Not before. Those can be confidence killer's.

However.........
              The video I posted of Lynn talking about Herbert is post #28 in this thread and he did say the best guy is going to play so if he looks better than Tyrod in practice and preseason, he will start according to Lynn.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by AsaFLBoltfan View Post

What it means is the notion that QBs that are high draft picks sitting for a year or more, is ancient History. In the last 12 years the only 5 who’ve done completely sucked, besides Mahommes the other 4 were terrible. I’m not saying he should start Wk 1, but if he doesn’t 6-8 starts this season it’s a waste. You go into 2021 with no idea with what he’s even capable of in real game time/speed. If Tyrod has the team at 7-3/6-4 at the 10 game mark, don’t think you can bench him can you? No real game reps this season, means your almost wasting 2 seasons.
                And how well does it really work.

Marriotta and Winston are both out of a job, and people where a lot higher on them then anyone was on Hebert.

Blake Bortles?

Manziel?

Payton Lynch?

Hackenberg?

Jacoby Brissett?

Mayfield?

EJ Manuel?

Rosen?

One of the one you would probably give the most credit to was Lamar Jackson, who spent half a season on the bench, then basically didn't throw, and now only throws a very limited playbook off of play action. Willing to put him in a real NFL offense and ask him to throw 50 passes a game, off of regular dropbacks?

Even Deshaun Watson has moments he struggles and looks dazed and confused. He is just smart enough to take off an run, but there are moments he struggles throwing and reading defenses.

With the success Mahommes had taking a year off, why is anyone even debating this. Again, go back over the last 20 years and look at the success the guys who DID sit had. Hell , even Eli Manning who lived at the Manning camp sat for about half a season behind Warner.

Comment

• AsaFLBoltfan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Longwood , FL
                  • Manager
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

And how well does it really work.

Marriotta and Winston are both out of a job, and people where a lot higher on them then anyone was on Hebert.

Blake Bortles?

Manziel?

Payton Lynch?

Hackenberg?

Jacoby Brissett?

Mayfield?

EJ Manuel?

Rosen?

One of the one you would probably give the most credit to was Lamar Jackson, who spent half a season on the bench, then basically didn't throw, and now only throws a very limited playbook off of play action. Willing to put him in a real NFL offense and ask him to throw 50 passes a game, off of regular dropbacks?

Even Deshaun Watson has moments he struggles and looks dazed and confused. He is just smart enough to take off an run, but there are moments he struggles throwing and reading defenses.

With the success Mahommes had taking a year off, why is anyone even debating this. Again, go back over the last 20 years and look at the success the guys who DID sit had. Hell , even Eli Manning who lived at the Manning camp sat for about half a season behind Warner.
                  Go back to page 4 of this thread, I broke down 39 QBs drafted (since 2008) in the 1st or WK1 starters. It basically breaks down to talent, the ones how have it starting early certainly hasn’t “stunted” their growth at all. I’ve stated my ideal situation would be JH getting 6-8 starts (ie: Jackson, Watson, Goff etc). I would like him to have “Real” game time headed into 2021. If Tyrod is able to keep them team in Wildcard contention this year, I can’t see them benching him. So in someways success this year, could hinder 2021. Interesting quandary to be in, but I do think the days of guys sitting for a complete year or especially 2 are over (especially a Top 10 pick). Tua likely sits half a year, but will start at some point. Burrow Wk1 and J. Love is in a unique position drafted bottom of round 1, behind an all time great (who is still playing well) and he’s a “project” to begin with.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Starts when he’s better than Taylor, duh.

Comment

• AsaFLBoltfan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Longwood , FL
                      • Manager
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                      Starts when he’s better than Taylor, duh.
                      Well I’d hope since we spent the #6 overall pick JH and Tyrod was a 6th round pick who is a Journeyman.... That Herbert is already “better”

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

I'm not buying into Taylor. It's been brought up before, he isn't a QB that will drive the offense to put up big points, which offenses need to do now more than before.

I see how touted our defense is being. The defense still has it holes it needs to fill and its flaws. It still has areas it needs to address. The defense from last year was overrated.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

No, i was more thinking they had a game managing vet QB in Alex Smith that was winning and he started the last game bc they had locked in.

All of the QBs you mention started because the team was losing, the starter got injured or was playing bad football,or given the job day1. None of them forced a QB whonwas winning games to the bench. I doubt 1 of the 39 did that. Fact is i think we can win games with Tyrod and Herbert won't have to start unless Tyrod gets hurt. u think Reid didn't know Mahomes was special and the better QB? I also did not say Herbert was better or even as good as Mahomes. I am comparing the stuation of vet starter that wins and doesn't turn it over keeping the young kid on the bench year 1.
                          I remember hearing talk from that coaching staff that they thought they had a HOFer in Mahomes his rookie season.

Comment

Working...
                          X