• Show
Clear All
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Old, tiny sample size (in 2014-2017 Tesla barely had any production or sales, average marketshare of less than 0.1%), improper comparison (Model 3 is not a luxury car), and they uniquely take the time to "fix" the stats regarding Tesla and not the other manufacturers. I'm not going to take the time to make sure these adjustments are correct, but they did require many, many words (a bad cause requires many words). And Tesla is not the only EV manufacturer so focusing only on them is nonsensical.

Unless you're going to give a physical reason motors/batteries kill people more than engines/gasoline, there is nothing to see here.
    Well the Model 3 price puts it in the luxury car category according to the right wing conspiracy site NTSB. The formula used by the NTSB puts all cars on the same level, that is why they do it that way. I personally do not care much as I do not know anyone who owns one, just they are not safe cars.

That being said, enjoy!

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Well the Model 3 price puts it in the luxury car category according to the right wing conspiracy site NTSB. The formula used by the NTSB puts all cars on the same level, that is why they do it that way. I personally do not care much as I do not know anyone who owns one, just they are not safe cars.

That being said, enjoy!
      This is from 2019……..
      Sounds like a dispute over which 5-STAR (which the Model 3 is listed as) rated vehicle is the safest. So at the worst Tesla M3 is listed with the top 5-STAR rated vehicle possibility along with a few others.

NHTSA vs. Tesla

The released documents depict an ongoing struggle between regulators and the upstart electric-car maker over what the agency alleges is misleading marketing of Tesla vehicles.

It isn’t the first time Tesla has been criticized by NHTSA over the characterization of crash tests. In 2013, Tesla backed off claims that its Model S sedan deserved 5.4 stars on NHTSA’s five-star scale. (CR’s Friedman was deputy administrator at NHTSA at the time.) Consumer groups and safety advocates also have criticized Tesla for overhyping the capabilities of technologies, such as the Autopilot driver-assistance system and the company’s “Full Self Driving” feature.

Tesla made its Model 3 claim in an Oct. 7 blog last year, saying that the Model 3 sedan has “the lowest probability of injury of all cars the safety agency has ever tested.”

In response, NHTSA made a public statement on Oct. 9 that said it doesn’t distinguish safety performance beyond its star ratings and that there is no “safest” vehicle among the vehicles with 5-star ratings. A cease-and-desist letter followed Oct. 17, saying that Tesla was violating the agency’s guidelines for how companies are to convey crash-test data to the public. The agency also said it was referring the matter to the Federal Trade Commission, which investigates deceptive marketing.

NHTSA’s letter notes that it was the second time it was investigating Tesla for publishing what it deemed to be misleading information about crash tests.

In the Model 3 case, NHTSA said it was inaccurate to compare overall safety scores of vehicles with different weights.

“A number of NHTSA studies have evaluated the impact of vehicle mass on fatality rates, and these potential safety differences are not reflected in a vehicle’s front crash-test results,” NHTSA’s chief counsel, Jonathan Morrison, said in the letter. “It is impossible to say based on the frontal crash test results or the Overall Vehicle Scores whether the Model 3 is safer than other 5-Star rated vehicles
      .”

Tesla’s Oct. 31 response showed that the company had no intention of backing down. In fact, the blog is still available on the company’s website. A Tesla spokeswoman said Wednesday that the company wouldn’t comment beyond its letter to NHTSA.

In that letter, Tesla emphasized that it was using NHTSA’s own publicly available data for nearly 1,000 vehicles. Based on that, the Model 3’s overall vehicle safety score of 0.38 translated into an overall probability of injury of 5.7 percent—better than any other vehicle.

Claims by Tesla that its vehicles are the safest-ever in federal government testing are under scrutiny. Newly released government documents show that behind the scenes the federal government has been pressing the California-based automaker to stop and that Tesla has been pushing back.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

I own stock in Tesla and I wish all of you would hurry out and buy one. Thanks in advance!
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

This is from 2019……..
          Sounds like a dispute over which 5-STAR (which the Model 3 is listed as) rated vehicle is the safest. So at the worst Tesla M3 is listed with the top 5-STAR rated vehicle possibility along with a few others.

NHTSA vs. Tesla

The released documents depict an ongoing struggle between regulators and the upstart electric-car maker over what the agency alleges is misleading marketing of Tesla vehicles.

It isn’t the first time Tesla has been criticized by NHTSA over the characterization of crash tests. In 2013, Tesla backed off claims that its Model S sedan deserved 5.4 stars on NHTSA’s five-star scale. (CR’s Friedman was deputy administrator at NHTSA at the time.) Consumer groups and safety advocates also have criticized Tesla for overhyping the capabilities of technologies, such as the Autopilot driver-assistance system and the company’s “Full Self Driving” feature.

Tesla made its Model 3 claim in an Oct. 7 blog last year, saying that the Model 3 sedan has “the lowest probability of injury of all cars the safety agency has ever tested.”

In response, NHTSA made a public statement on Oct. 9 that said it doesn’t distinguish safety performance beyond its star ratings and that there is no “safest” vehicle among the vehicles with 5-star ratings. A cease-and-desist letter followed Oct. 17, saying that Tesla was violating the agency’s guidelines for how companies are to convey crash-test data to the public. The agency also said it was referring the matter to the Federal Trade Commission, which investigates deceptive marketing.

NHTSA’s letter notes that it was the second time it was investigating Tesla for publishing what it deemed to be misleading information about crash tests.

In the Model 3 case, NHTSA said it was inaccurate to compare overall safety scores of vehicles with different weights.

“A number of NHTSA studies have evaluated the impact of vehicle mass on fatality rates, and these potential safety differences are not reflected in a vehicle’s front crash-test results,” NHTSA’s chief counsel, Jonathan Morrison, said in the letter. “It is impossible to say based on the frontal crash test results or the Overall Vehicle Scores whether the Model 3 is safer than other 5-Star rated vehicles
          .”

Tesla’s Oct. 31 response showed that the company had no intention of backing down. In fact, the blog is still available on the company’s website. A Tesla spokeswoman said Wednesday that the company wouldn’t comment beyond its letter to NHTSA.

In that letter, Tesla emphasized that it was using NHTSA’s own publicly available data for nearly 1,000 vehicles. Based on that, the Model 3’s overall vehicle safety score of 0.38 translated into an overall probability of injury of 5.7 percent—better than any other vehicle.

Claims by Tesla that its vehicles are the safest-ever in federal government testing are under scrutiny. Newly released government documents show that behind the scenes the federal government has been pressing the California-based automaker to stop and that Tesla has been pushing back.

Interesting. I wonder if that is more building the cars for the crash test? It seems they do very well in those. I know they have been rated very well there. The NTSB is real world crashes. It could be a lot of people burring to death in the car instead of dying from the actual impact of the crash. Which in reality dead is dead, but it is an important distinction none the less. I remember back in the day when the DeLorean owners locked themselves in the car and could not get out as the doors were electrical and not mechanical. If the battery died they had those tiny windows and they could not get out of their own cars. Maybe the Teslas have something like that where it traps the occupants i the car after a crash?

Teslas also take an enormous amount of water and resources to put out. The article from below is not one I used in the report but it is only 2 days old so its fresh. In California when a Tesla is in a crash they take it to an open dirt lot in case it ignites another two or three times. They used to bring them into warehouses but that was too much of a fire hazard.

Its not that I do not like Teslas, I think they serve an important function but there are some serious issues I would like to see them work out first before I get one or put my family in one.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Interesting. I wonder if that is more building the cars for the crash test? It seems they do very well in those. I know they have been rated very well there. The NTSB is real world crashes. It could be a lot of people burring to death in the car instead of dying from the actual impact of the crash. Which in reality dead is dead, but it is an important distinction none the less. I remember back in the day when the DeLorean owners locked themselves in the car and could not get out as the doors were electrical and not mechanical. If the battery died they had those tiny windows and they could not get out of their own cars. Maybe the Teslas have something like that where it traps the occupants i the car after a crash?

Teslas also take an enormous amount of water and resources to put out. The article from below is not one I used in the report but it is only 2 days old so its fresh. In California when a Tesla is in a crash they take it to an open dirt lot in case it ignites another two or three times. They used to bring them into warehouses but that was too much of a fire hazard.

Its not that I do not like Teslas, I think they serve an important function but there are some serious issues I would like to see them work out first before I get one or put my family in one.

The LIBs, just as in cell phones, do have a capacity to burn long term if ignited. Definitely an issue.
            Gas powered cars have a certain ignition rate but limited by path of electrical wiring vs ignition points on vehicle.
            As the solid state battery technology comes online, it should greatly reduce any type of fire risk to EVs.

Ive been a Ford guy my whole life so we will continue to stay with them as we move to the EV market soon.
            My woman is way more high class than me so she prefers Lincoln but same umbrella. Converted her from Buick. Lol

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
              I own stock in Tesla and I wish all of you would hurry out and buy one. Thanks in advance!
              My wife loves the Tesla technology in their vehicles. The ride and interior comfort are lacking in our opinion definitely in comparison to Lincoln.
              Tesla was the innovator and market driver. All other car companies are chasing to catch up.

I, for one, can’t wait for the auto-drive tech to get fully integrated. As a narcoleptic it will make long drives feasible from the driver’s seat for me. It will also elevated my heart rate increases when I see a woman putting on her makeup, with both hands, as she flys down the highway. Lol

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Tesla is up 5.60 right now so thanks to all of you that went out and bought one today. By the way, I also have Ford stock so feel free to buy a Ford.
                You guys are so nice to me.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• equivocation
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2021
                  • Send PM

Tesla didn't have the experience designing and assembling physical autos so I think their finish and maybe safety suffered at first. Traditional automakers way ahead on that, though I do think the 2 part casting process is way better than traditional.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

The LIBs, just as in cell phones, do have a capacity to burn long term if ignited. Definitely an issue.
                    Gas powered cars have a certain ignition rate but limited by path of electrical wiring vs ignition points on vehicle.
                    As the solid state battery technology comes online, it should greatly reduce any type of fire risk to EVs.

Ive been a Ford guy my whole life so we will continue to stay with them as we move to the EV market soon.
                    My woman is way more high class than me so she prefers Lincoln but same umbrella. Converted her from Buick. Lol
                    I have been a Mopar guy all my life. I had a 68 Dodge Charger R/T with a built 440 and a 4spd. My wife drives a 2006 Durango which she loves and will not get rid of until it cant be fixed anymore. I do love my Excursion, Ford made a great vehicle with that. Its not my daily driver but I tow my 33' TT with it, it packs the family, the dogs and everything else and barely notices the trailer behind. It has made me become a Ford fan as well.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Mopar - you've bought a lot of oil in your life.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• FoutsFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Birmingham AL
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                        Mopar - you've bought a lot of oil in your life.
                        With my built 440 I used to get about 3mpg on the street and about 10 on the freeway. It did run 11.2 in the 1/4 mile @ 119 mph though. I had a Honda Civic for my daily driver at the time so I did not use that much gas as I would have as a daily driver.

Comment

• bartman83642
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                          The future of the long-haul trucking industry is going to be electric - driverless electric. Currently, human truck drivers are limited in the number of miles they can drive per day. There is no such restriction for trucks driven by computers, which can be on the road 24/7 and deliver goods faster.
                          Working in the transportation\trucking industry it will be the future eventually. Definitely could use it as in many parts of the country there is a driver shortage. Question is how long will it be? There are going to have to be a lot of regulations in place, especially in this sue happy nation of ours. Also there is currently the problems of loading and unloading, verifying bills of lading etc. that without both trucking companies and their customers investing in tech to allow for these things even "driverless" trucks will still need drivers for some time.

Comment

Working...
                          X