• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CivilBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

For an All-Pro caliber OT prospect, 3 picks for 1 is not steep.

While I don’t think we will move up that far, if he’s there around #7 then pay the piper.
    If we do it, it’ll be the first for TT. I don’t think we’ve ever given up this many picks.

Comment

• JOJAX85
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2018
      • Irmo, SC
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

For an All-Pro caliber OT prospect, 3 picks for 1 is not steep.

While I don’t think we will move up that far, if he’s there around #7 then pay the piper.
      They probably won't ask Herbert, but if they did, I bet he'd make that deal.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Think of the message you’re sending to Herbert if we made a bold move like that. That’s the kind of move that let’s Herbert know we’re investing in his blind side for the long term. A good friend who will be extra motivated to reach his ceiling to directly protect JH.
        2 potentially generational talents, tied by friendship working directly together towards a common goal.
        the only way it could be better is if Sewell played OC!

When it comes time to negotiate that second Herbert contract, good faith might be reciprocated. We already know Herbert is a loyal guy to his hometown of Oregon, I can see the same commitment to us, his first and last NFL team if we do things right.
        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
          Think of the message you’re sending to Herbert if we made a bold move like that. That’s the kind of move that let’s Herbert know we’re investing in his blind side for the long term. A good friend who will be extra motivated to reach his ceiling to directly protect JH.
          2 potentially generational talents, tied by friendship working directly together towards a common goal.
          the only way it could be better is if Sewell played OC!

When it comes time to negotiate that second Herbert contract, good faith might be reciprocated. We already know Herbert is a loyal guy to his hometown of Oregon, I can see the same commitment to us, his first and last NFL team if we do things right.
          As much as I like Sewell, remember that Jeremiah, whom I greatly respect as a talent evaluator and predictor, has Penei ranked #10 on his top 50. He comments:

10) Penei Sewell, OT
          School: Oregon | Year: Junior
          Sewell has a huge frame, quick feet and strong hands. He has the foot quickness to kick out and cover up speed rushers in the passing game. His hands can get too wide at times, which allows defenders to get underneath him (see: matchup against then-Auburn DT Derrick Brown in 2019). However, he stays connected and usually wins when he locks on. He has the ability to bend and drop his weight, but he gets too upright on occasion. Sewell does some special things in the run game. He can uproot defenders over his nose and he is explosive as a puller. The more I watched, I did have some concerns about his balance. He lunges at times and ends up on the ground more often than you'd like. Overall, Sewell isn't the most polished blocker in this class, but he does offer the most upside.
          https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jere...t-rankings-1-0

Meanwhile, Jeremiah has Slater at #6, well ahead of Sewell. Now, ask yourself, why? Sewell is good, but is he top-9? Not according to Jeremiah, who also has AVT at #14. Notice how much he praises AVT in pass pro:

14) Alijah Vera-Tucker, OT
          School: USC | Year: Junior (RS)
          Vera-Tucker is one of the safest players in this draft class. He played guard at a very high level in 2019 before producing an outstanding campaign at tackle in 2020. He plays with excellent strength, balance and awareness in pass protection. He is quick out of his stance and has a sharp/quick punch. He can bend and does a good job of staying connected. He will underset at times, allowing defenders on his edge, but he is quick to recover and run them around the pocket. He squats down versus power rushers and quickly stops their charge. In the run game, he can latch, control and create movement on down blocks. He takes excellent angles to the second level and has a good feel on combo blocks. He isn't the most dynamic athlete, but he's always under control and rarely in bad position. Overall, I think he has a chance to stick at tackle, but he's ideally suited to play guard. He is ready to start on Day 1.

Giving up that many picks for Sewell, who is a better run-blocker than pass pro, and who is only slightly better than AVT, is probably giving up too much. Of course, it all depends on how much better the Bolts have Sewell graded than AVT...but honestly, I'd be more than happy with AVT at #13...

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

As much as I like Sewell, remember that Jeremiah, whom I greatly respect as a talent evaluator and predictor, has Penei ranked #10 on his top 50. He comments:

10) Penei Sewell, OT
            School: Oregon | Year: Junior
            Sewell has a huge frame, quick feet and strong hands. He has the foot quickness to kick out and cover up speed rushers in the passing game. His hands can get too wide at times, which allows defenders to get underneath him (see: matchup against then-Auburn DT Derrick Brown in 2019). However, he stays connected and usually wins when he locks on. He has the ability to bend and drop his weight, but he gets too upright on occasion. Sewell does some special things in the run game. He can uproot defenders over his nose and he is explosive as a puller. The more I watched, I did have some concerns about his balance. He lunges at times and ends up on the ground more often than you'd like. Overall, Sewell isn't the most polished blocker in this class, but he does offer the most upside.
            https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jere...t-rankings-1-0

Meanwhile, Jeremiah has Slater at #6, well ahead of Sewell. Now, ask yourself, why? Sewell is good, but is he top-9? Not according to Jeremiah, who also has AVT at #14. Notice how much he praises AVT in pass pro:

14) Alijah Vera-Tucker, OT
            School: USC | Year: Junior (RS)
            Vera-Tucker is one of the safest players in this draft class. He played guard at a very high level in 2019 before producing an outstanding campaign at tackle in 2020. He plays with excellent strength, balance and awareness in pass protection. He is quick out of his stance and has a sharp/quick punch. He can bend and does a good job of staying connected. He will underset at times, allowing defenders on his edge, but he is quick to recover and run them around the pocket. He squats down versus power rushers and quickly stops their charge. In the run game, he can latch, control and create movement on down blocks. He takes excellent angles to the second level and has a good feel on combo blocks. He isn't the most dynamic athlete, but he's always under control and rarely in bad position. Overall, I think he has a chance to stick at tackle, but he's ideally suited to play guard. He is ready to start on Day 1.

Giving up that many picks for Sewell, who is a better run-blocker than pass pro, and who is only slightly better than AVT, is probably giving up too much. Of course, it all depends on how much better the Bolts have Sewell graded than AVT...but honestly, I'd be more than happy with AVT at #13...
            In retrospect here’s what DJ said about/ranked JH10 before the draft.
            Put Sewell headup vs Slater in the OK drill and Penei buries him into the turf 9 out of 10.
            Everyone should do their own scouting.

20) Justin Herbert, QB

School: Oregon | Year: Senior

Previous rank: 20

Herbert has exceptional size, mobility and arm strength. He has quick feet in his setup and he bounces on his toes once he gets to the top of his drop. His motion can be a little robotic at times, but the ball comes out tight with high RPMs. He has a big arm, but his placement is a little inconsistent. His front side flies open on some throws, impacting his accuracy. That can be corrected. He has shown the ability to touch up the ball underneath and makes some impressive throws on the run. He is a very good runner. He builds speed and he is effective on zone reads. The biggest area he needs to improve is his lack of anticipation. He waits too long to cut it loose. According to everyone at Oregon, his work ethic and character are off the charts. Overall, Herbert has some special physical tools, but he needs to play with less caution and learn to embrace an attacking mentality.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Maniaque 6
              French Speaking Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Québec city
              • Send PM

If you stay at 13th, Sewell will be gone, maybe Slater too.
              Any interest in AVT, Darissaw or Mayfield ?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                AVT would be an excellent fall back @ #13...high floor.

This is why I vote for standing pat.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Not at #13.
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Trey Lance imo is very over rated. He has big bust potential imo and really isn't a first round talent but if he goes top 10, great. But if I'm a GM trying to save my job, he isn't somebody I'm looking at early first round. I'm looking at a vet.
                    Agree. I don't see him or the Alabama qb go before the Charger pick.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post
                      https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2...ller-february/

I don't know if this guy is reputable or not, but we get Sewell. So I likes.
                      And he then has Miami grab Darisaw at #13......not likely.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Oklahoma
                        • Send PM

Only if Telesco strike out in free agency on the O Line and Turner refuses to take a pay cut and has to be released.
                        In a perfect world we get one of the free agent centers, another starter, and Tevy, Feeney, Lamp want to stay even as possible non starters and sign reasonable deals.
                        I believe Mayfield only played 2 years in college? so big upside there.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

I'd take AVT @#13. Very good pass blocker. Protect the franchise. Then get your defensive pieces.

Comment

Working...
                          X