• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Talent is talent. But dipping too often into the smaller schools who typically lose out on the top talent to the major programs is not a great recipe for success. It really should be a much more targeted approach. For instance if you look at all the Utah State players drafted recently. There really is only one great player that has been drafted out of that program in decades. Bobby Wagner. If Love develops then that would be 2. There are others that have played and started in the NFL. But only one impact player in Wagner.
    Same for Idaho State. Jared Allen and that is it for impact players out of that program. Same with Texas State. The best player I can think of is Ricky Sanders WR or Bobby Watkins CB from like the early 1980s. Mager in rd 3 was the highest Texas State Bobcat drafted since 1984. It didn't work out. I like Mager speed and size. But I would have waited to 6th or 7th to spend a pick on him. A 3rd was way over paying for what should have been bargain shopping in the last two rds.

And then you can look at Alabama program and it's littered with players who were great impact players in NFL.

Just be very careful when shopping at the bargain stores trying to find a gem. It better stand out so bright that instead of thinking you are a genius who got a steal, you think I'm an idiot if I pass on this prospect. Like Randy Moss. But for the most part, you might want to go to major stores to find 53 gems for your franchise.

Telesco doesn't usually do more than one max from small programs in a draft.

Last year he had none.
    Oregon, Oklahoma, UCLA, Virginia, Notre Dame, Ohio St.

But the year before. He went shopping at mom and pop shops all over the country. Delaware, Souix Falls, North Dakota State,
    I don't think they will get anything from Stick and Pipkins looks like the NFL game is too much for him right now.
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
      Talent is talent. But dipping too often into the smaller schools who typically lose out on the top talent to the major programs is not a great recipe for success. It really should be a much more targeted approach. For instance if you look at all the Utah State players drafted recently. There really is only one great player that has been drafted out of that program in decades. Bobby Wagner. If Love develops then that would be 2. There are others that have played and started in the NFL. But only one impact player in Wagner.
      Same for Idaho State. Jared Allen and that is it for impact players out of that program. Same with Texas State. The best player I can think of is Ricky Sanders WR or Bobby Watkins CB from like the early 1980s. Mager in rd 3 was the highest Texas State Bobcat drafted since 1984. It didn't work out. I like Mager speed and size. But I would have waited to 6th or 7th to spend a pick on him. A 3rd was way over paying for what should have been bargain shopping in the last two rds.

And then you can look at Alabama program and it's littered with players who were great impact players in NFL.

Just be very careful when shopping at the bargain stores trying to find a gem. It better stand out so bright that instead of thinking you are a genius who got a steal, you think I'm an idiot if I pass on this prospect. Like Randy Moss. But for the most part, you might want to go to major stores to find 53 gems for your franchise.

Telesco doesn't usually do more than one max from small programs in a draft.

Last year he had none.
      Oregon, Oklahoma, UCLA, Virginia, Notre Dame, Ohio St.

But the year before. He went shopping at mom and pop shops all over the country. Delaware, Souix Falls, North Dakota State,
      I don't think they will get anything from Stick and Pipkins looks like the NFL game is too much for him right now.
      it should be common sense. If you believe the recruiters at the major college programs are doing their job then they have already weeded through the guys who end up at small schools. Of course they will all miss once in a while or a guy will develop late but it’s the exception not the rule

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Tyreek Hill...University of West Alabama.

Ali Marpet...Hobart College.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Name more than one drafted from those schools in last 20 years that succeeded in NFL.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

In honor of
            Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff...McGill University

LAC should select Pier-Olivier Lestage...University of Montreal.

No I cannot name more than one player from these schools.

Let's try University of Buffalo.
            --Khalil Mack. may have heard of him.
            --Gerry Philbin. DE NYJ Round 3 1964.
            --Brandin Oliver. ex Charger.
            --Garet Patterson. RB Round 5 2021.
            --Kayode Awosika. OT Round 7 2021

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Added the PFF Mock Sim to our Navbar drop down.

PFF’s customizable mock draft simulator gives you the opportunity to be the GM for any team in the 2025 NFL Draft. In addition to picking draft prospects, you can also offer and make trades with the simulated teams.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

In honor of
                Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff...McGill University

LAC should select Pier-Olivier Lestage...University of Montreal.

No I cannot name more than one player from these schools.

Let's try University of Buffalo.
                --Khalil Mack. may have heard of him.
                --Gerry Philbin. DE NYJ Round 3 1964.
                --Brandin Oliver. ex Charger.
                --Garet Patterson. RB Round 5 2021.
                --Kayode Awosika. OT Round 7 2021
                Lets stick to major programs shopping. And if a Mack or a Wagner or Jared Allen or or Duvernay-Tardiff is a gem then from time to time take a swing.

Telesco took 3 swings in 2019 draft. That is not a recipe for successful drafting.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Lets stick to major programs shopping. And if a Mack or a Wagner or Jared Allen or or Duvernay-Tardiff is a gem then from time to time take a swing.

Telesco took 3 swings in 2019 draft. That is not a recipe for successful drafting.
                  Agree with both of your posts. TElesco also has fallen in love with players from Notre Dame. I say, fall in love with players from Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State for petes sakes. And yes, there are players from small schools that hit but stick to the basics - maybe lower ceiling but higher floor. Pipkin and Mager might have had higher ceilings than other players, but their floors are probably lower. Stick too.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Agree with both of your posts. TElesco also has fallen in love with players from Notre Dame. I say, fall in love with players from Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State for petes sakes. And yes, there are players from small schools that hit but stick to the basics - maybe lower ceiling but higher floor. Pipkin and Mager might have had higher ceilings than other players, but their floors are probably lower. Stick too.
                    This...especially when drafting for interior olinemen in the 2nd-5th rounds.
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

How can TT make the team better without an OL? Assuming he wants to make us a playoff team. BPA in the 1st is the best OL.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Oklahoma
                        • Send PM

Hill was booted fro Okie State because he was already a piece of shit, yes Marpet was one of the vary rare late bloomers

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

Hill was booted fro Okie State because he was already a piece of shit, yes Marpet was one of the vary rare late bloomers
                          Attacking a pregnant girlfriend puts you on DND list IMV.

Comment

Working...
                          X