Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think with the way Staley talked about Bosa in a Khalil Mack type role and Murray yesterday - my guess is that a true 3-4 DE is probably a higher need than say Parsons in the draft or Leonard Floyd or REddick in Free AGency

If looking at a veteran - that would mean JJ Watt over Leonard Floyd. That was my interpretation at least.

Watt is 32 in March - the motivation will be there; he will be physically in shape but a lot of injuries, a lot of games. I might have to rethink this one - because he would be an outstanding fit at as a 3-4 DE. If not Watt - than somebody that can play that position.

Watt for the TN 6th round pick - redo his deal
    JJ is getting released by the Texans.......

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Unless the Chargers go DE in the draft - and they still might - which they should - Watt, or a true 3-4 DE makes more sense than Edge because Bosa will be the edge. Have to think Tillery is one DE, maybe Rochelle, Linval and Justin Jones in the middle. There is a gaping need at RDE. Now , the draft can take care of it - but Watt would fit the bill thats for sure

He would be physically in shape, mentally prepared - so those are not issues. Its physically how his body, even in shape, would be able to play. He was a dominant presence in his prime. Up to the coaches to look at other potential Free Agents, and see how they compare. Tape don't lie

If Watt is healthy and 90% of what he was; opposite Bosa with James and Dru and Murray, Davis, add a CB in the draft - talking top 5 defense

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

What a class guy. I’d love for the Bolts to try to get him for 1 year. But, in the end, old is old and you don't come back from it.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

I think with the way Staley talked about Bosa in a Khalil Mack type role and Murray yesterday - my guess is that a true 3-4 DE is probably a higher need than say Parsons in the draft or Leonard Floyd or REddick in Free AGency

If looking at a veteran - that would mean JJ Watt over Leonard Floyd. That was my interpretation at least.

Watt is 32 in March - the motivation will be there; he will be physically in shape but a lot of injuries, a lot of games. I might have to rethink this one - because he would be an outstanding fit at as a 3-4 DE. If not Watt - than somebody that can play that position.

Watt for the TN 6th round pick - redo his deal
          In the past five seasons, Watt has been injured in three of those five, playing 8, 5 and 3 games in those seasons. He's habitually damaged goods...plus his price tag would be kind of high...pass...

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Unless the Chargers go DE in the draft - and they still might - which they should - Watt, or a true 3-4 DE makes more sense than Edge because Bosa will be the edge. Have to think Tillery is one DE, maybe Rochelle, Linval and Justin Jones in the middle. There is a gaping need at RDE. Now , the draft can take care of it - but Watt would fit the bill thats for sure

He would be physically in shape, mentally prepared - so those are not issues. Its physically how his body, even in shape, would be able to play. He was a dominant presence in his prime. Up to the coaches to look at other potential Free Agents, and see how they compare. Tape don't lie

If Watt is healthy and 90% of what he was; opposite Bosa with James and Dru and Murray, Davis, add a CB in the draft - talking top 5 defense
            I'd like to have Watt but I still think Edge is more a need by far
            We have DL that can play DE. Tillery will be one, Justin Jones, Rochell and Broughton will likely play there, Fehoko will get a shot. And Bosa will be there and in other capacities.

Sure we can use another great player and Watt would work, If he can stay healthy but I don't see DE as a huge need. Probably won't be in a 3-4 that often anyways. But I'd surely welcome him.
            Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-12-2021, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

If Staley believes Watt will win a 2021 Lombardi with the Chargers in LA? Sign him.
              Otherwise, no.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2020
                • Oklahoma
                • Send PM

Will be very interesting to see if JJ swallows his pride and plays for far less than he ever has to chase a ring, unlikely even for a great guy like himself?

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

In the past five seasons, Watt has been injured in three of those five, playing 8, 5 and 3 games in those seasons. He's habitually damaged goods...plus his price tag would be kind of high...pass...
                  Less wear and tear than a normal player his age? $5 mil base salary plus incentives and the risk reward ratio goes off the charts. And yes he'd like to hoist a lombardi more than a super big paycheck.
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

PFF Renner: The Biggest Draft Mistake For Each Team in the Past 5 Years

LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: The Offensive Line

This is nothing new, and it’s worth seriously questioning if the franchise is cursed at this point. Their picks — C Max Tuerk (third round in 2016), G Donavon Clark (seventh in 2016), G Forrest Lamp (second in 2017), G Dan Feeney (third in 2017), T Sam Tevi (sixth in 2017), C Scott Quessenberry (fifth in 2018) and T Trey Pipkins (third in 2019) — speak for themselves.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Less wear and tear than a normal player his age? $5 mil base salary plus incentives and the risk reward ratio goes off the charts. And yes he'd like to hoist a lombardi more than a super big paycheck.
                      Like I said earlier, it sounds like Joey Bosa is going to be an EDGE player. Ingram is gone, Nwosu is inconsisent. Speculation in the offseason was needing an Edge player. But maybe for Staley, the need for an RDE is more now, not less.

I looked at some lists today -- even at 32, Watt still might be better than a lot of the other names even today. So unless they draft somebody or they have their eyes on a free agent that I did not notice -- then Watt might be a good fit. End of the day, I think STaley has a good damn idea what players he wants for his scheme.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                        PFF Renner: The Biggest Draft Mistake For Each Team in the Past 5 Years

LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: The Offensive Line

This is nothing new, and it’s worth seriously questioning if the franchise is cursed at this point. Their picks — C Max Tuerk (third round in 2016), G Donavon Clark (seventh in 2016), G Forrest Lamp (second in 2017), G Dan Feeney (third in 2017), T Sam Tevi (sixth in 2017), C Scott Quessenberry (fifth in 2018) and T Trey Pipkins (third in 2019) — speak for themselves.
                        This hasn't been an investment in oline in last five years but a simple reaching into your pocket for spare change. Feeney can be better and maybe Tevi can be solid back-up. I look at offensive linemen as a need of 10 guys that can play because we're always going to have two guys injured at any time during the season. We need more ammo!

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Like I said earlier, it sounds like Joey Bosa is going to be an EDGE player. Ingram is gone, Nwosu is inconsisent. Speculation in the offseason was needing an Edge player. But maybe for Staley, the need for an RDE is more now, not less.

I looked at some lists today -- even at 32, Watt still might be better than a lot of the other names even today. So unless they draft somebody or they have their eyes on a free agent that I did not notice -- then Watt might be a good fit. End of the day, I think STaley has a good damn idea what players he wants for his scheme.
                          Ok...how about this...with JJ Watt the spanos might sell a boatload of tickets to their games. I think a reasonable salary would more than pay for his way in other financial benefits. Putting arses in the seats!

Comment

Working...
                          X