• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    There are others who play with much greater urgency.

I would draft AVT a long time before I would draft Darrisaw.

The Chargers told Feiler he's a Guard.

What if Bulaga's back doesn't cooperate ?

Draft Jessie's...make it work.

So many different chorus lines we could throw out there.
    Wood, welcome back to the Trenchers...

(for the 8th time...)

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
      I don't like Darrisaw at 13, and that is primarily due to tape. He is a good prospect, but has warts, and in my opinion, doesn't separate himself from many other second tier tackle prospects.
      I brought this fact up months ago, before any prospects started working out, or any metrics on all these prospects were officially recorded.

Some of you watch the tape, and like what you see, enough so that you very much like him at 13. That's your opinion.

However, that does not make you more proficient at watching tape, or evaluating prospects, than other fans on this forum, because they don't agree with what you are seeing. It just means you have a different opinion...or maybe even simply a different order of priority on traits that are, or are not, there.

Now I have at times been a little snarky about Darrisaw...mostly I was frustrated with what people were not seeing, that I was seeing, when watching his tape...so I might have took it out on the prospect. Not fair, actually think he is a good prospect, I just don't have him graded in the top 15, because of question marks.

For the record, and for the last time....I don't hate Darrisaw. I have said before if we draft him, I will be fine with that, will in fact adopt him, because I would assume the Chargers have answers to the questions I have about him. Hell, for all I know, that core muscle injury was why he seemed to pull up early on a lot of plays, when I wanted to see him looking for a pancake opportunity, or why sometimes he seems more like a plodder, than an explosive guy..but again, it's a question mark. All I have ever said is I prefer many of the other players that I think will be there when we pick at 13...guys who are, IMO, real Blue Chippers, without many question marks, cleaner prospects....whereas Darrisaw(IMO) has question marks, and is closer as a prospect to the other second tier OT prospects, than he is to prospects who will go top 15.
      Okay I get to use this too for any guys I hated on.

just teasing, LB
      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
        I don't like Darrisaw at 13, and that is primarily due to tape. He is a good prospect, but has warts, and in my opinion, doesn't separate himself from many other second tier tackle prospects.
        I brought this fact up months ago, before any prospects started working out, or any metrics on all these prospects were officially recorded.

Some of you watch the tape, and like what you see, enough so that you very much like him at 13. That's your opinion.

However, that does not make you more proficient at watching tape, or evaluating prospects, than other fans on this forum, because they don't agree with what you are seeing. It just means you have a different opinion...or maybe even simply a different order of priority on traits that are, or are not, there.

Now I have at times been a little snarky about Darrisaw...mostly I was frustrated with what people were not seeing, that I was seeing, when watching his tape...so I might have took it out on the prospect. Not fair, actually think he is a good prospect, I just don't have him graded in the top 15, because of question marks.

For the record, and for the last time....I don't hate Darrisaw. I have said before if we draft him, I will be fine with that, will in fact adopt him, because I would assume the Chargers have answers to the questions I have about him. Hell, for all I know, that core muscle injury was why he seemed to pull up early on a lot of plays, when I wanted to see him looking for a pancake opportunity, or why sometimes he seems more like a plodder, than an explosive guy..but again, it's a question mark. All I have ever said is I prefer many of the other players that I think will be there when we pick at 13...guys who are, IMO, real Blue Chippers, without many question marks, cleaner prospects....whereas Darrisaw(IMO) has question marks, and is closer as a prospect to the other second tier OT prospects, than he is to prospects who will go top 15.
        I totally get what you're saying about Darrisaw. I'd like to see him finish better. I'd like to see him plant some guys into the ground. I think sometimes he shows poor effort.

But at the same time, he gets into position and walls people off. His strength allows him to move people... and they stay moved. His first step is efficient and allows him to win position almost every time. 7.7 yards per carry to his gap didn't happen by accident. He rarely gets beat to the outside (length) and he has very good balance for a guy his size and doesn't get beat inside because of that. I've also watched a lot of Slater's and Cosmi's tape. Both players' length concerns me. Both players get their heads bent back with guys that get their hands inside. That will only get worse in the NFL. And you can't ignore that. I've tried. Strength and length are important at LT in the NFL.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
          Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
          • Jun 2013
          • Palm Springs
          • I know nothing
          • Send PM

I think that the salary cap down the road on the second contract has to play into which players you draft. I would prefer players that are almost but not quite all pro to superstars everywhere. A somewhat more than serviceable LT and save cap space for superstar skill players so that we can keep both on re-signings.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 8/6/1960 View Post
            I think that the salary cap down the road on the second contract has to play into which players you draft. I would prefer players that are almost but not quite all pro to superstars everywhere. A somewhat more than serviceable LT and save cap space for superstar skill players so that we can keep both on re-signings.
            Your strategy is to draft average players because they are worth (cost) less on their second contract? A somewhat serviceable LT? Uh ... I have a better idea:

How about we draft superstars. Then we can use those great players for 4-5 yrs. Then we let them walk and sign those other average players you wanted to draft from the other teams that are dropping them to sign our superstars? We gain comp picks and draft more superstars. Winning!
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I totally get what you're saying about Darrisaw. I'd like to see him finish better. I'd like to see him plant some guys into the ground. I think sometimes he shows poor effort.

But at the same time, he gets into position and walls people off. His strength allows him to move people... and they stay moved. His first step is efficient and allows him to win position almost every time. 7.7 yards per carry to his gap didn't happen by accident. He rarely gets beat to the outside (length) and he has very good balance for a guy his size and doesn't get beat inside because of that. I've also watched a lot of Slater's and Cosmi's tape. Both players' length concerns me. Both players get their heads bent back with guys that get their hands inside. That will only get worse in the NFL. And you can't ignore that. I've tried. Strength and length are important at LT in the NFL.
              It seems to me “finish better” around here may mean after he’s beaten his assignment, he either dives on top of him and does belly rubs, or better yet - he runs off down the field and finds a 2nd and 3rd defender and beats them too.

I’m good with a LT that consistently wins his first assignment, i havent seen a lot of that in a long time. 7.7 YPC in his gap? Did i also get it right, ZERO sacks given up all year? I could live with that kind of lazy, especially if that energy management allows him to win his primary assignments in the 4th quarter strong when our past OL would normally wilt in the setting sun and fold up like a cheap lawn chair.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                • Jun 2013
                • Palm Springs
                • I know nothing
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                Your strategy is to draft average players because they are worth (cost) less on their second contract? A somewhat serviceable LT? Uh ... I have a better idea:

How about we draft superstars. Then we can use those great players for 4-5 yrs. Then we let them walk and sign those other average players you wanted to draft from the other teams that are dropping them to sign our superstars? We gain comp picks and draft more superstars. Winning!
                Somewhat MORE than serviceable LT, is what I said. We have a superstar QB and edge and safety and receiver and center and receiving running back and maybe soon to be linebacker. My point is that the whole team can't be superstars.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                  Draftnik
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

It seems to me “finish better” around here may mean after he’s beaten his assignment, he either dives on top of him and does belly rubs, or better yet - he runs off down the field and finds a 2nd and 3rd defender and beats them too.

I’m good with a LT that consistently wins his first assignment, i havent seen a lot of that in a long time. 7.7 YPC in his gap? Did i also get it right, ZERO sacks given up all year? I could live with that kind of lazy, especially if that energy management allows him to win his primary assignments in the 4th quarter strong when our past OL would normally wilt in the setting sun and fold up like a cheap lawn chair.
                  Another thing I’ve noticed from Darrisaw’s tape is that he seems to power-up in the red zone, particularly inside the 10. Always nails his blocking assignments in the clutch.

With Darrisaw, Feiler, and Linsley we’d see a major difference on those critical 3rd and inches running plays.

Those are drive extenders.

You win those and you win games.
                  Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                    Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Palm Springs
                    • I know nothing
                    • Send PM

My biggest concern about Derrisaw is the reported tunnel vision (lack of awareness) on stunts and games by the DL. Don't know if that is coachable

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Apparently we don’t understand Telesco’s genius haha
                      oh sure, he COULD just draft a bunch of future HOFers, but imagine the salary cap hell we would be in?!
                      haha
                      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                        Draftnik
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 8/6/1960 View Post
                        My biggest concern about Derrisaw is the reported tunnel vision (lack of awareness) on stunts and games by the DL. Don't know if that is coachable
                        His tape shows discipline on stunts and games. Seems to recognize them well. His lack of awareness comes when the play breaks down and he seems a little lost in space/not looking for work.

This is one of his ugliest warts. It must be addressed at the next level.
                        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

This has been my theory for a bit.
                          I don’t claim to know if this is CDs intentional strategy, or simply a learned habit, but he seems to play effectively and efficiently and doesn’t waste energy on flashy “finishing” found on exciting highlights
                          Wts, there’s legitimate positives that go with completely dominating your opponent through the whistle but is it worth passing on the whole player?
                          very few people on earth have a realistic chance to play LOT in the NFL consistently and at a high level, especially as EDGE guys continue to evolve and vary in styles. We could potentially be sitting here 5 years from now evaluating (nitpicking) LTs again in 2026.
                          calculated risks are necessary, slight “reaches” on prospects with perceived warts are justified, due simply to the overwhelming demand and underwhelming supply.
                          Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

Working...
                          X