• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Who knew that mock drafts were so useful for an NFL team? I thought it was a fun story. Now makes me think if everyone uses them in a war game scenario.
    It seems as though every person to ever evaluate an NFL prospect now has a MOCK DRAFT. Whether on social media or other platforms, these attempts have increased in popularity. I understand how fun this is and how a team’s perceived needs may influence which players get connected to a team in an attempt to predict the future sequence of events, especially in Round 1 of the NFL Draft. The media has created its own phenomenon with these mock drafts and has both valued their own content, in this cas

The best use of a mock draft scenario that I have experienced was when I was in New Orleans as their GM. In the 2001 draft, we picked 23rd in Round 1. We started our mock drafting exercise that year a couple days before the draft like we always did. One mock, mind you just one of the several dozen we did that day, led us to having Ole Miss RB Deuce McAllister’s card be the highest rated card on our board when it came our time to pick. I had had this option in the back of my mind since seeing him play live in Nashville at the Music City Bowl in Dec of 2020........

At the time, we also had RB Ricky Williams on our team, whom the Saints had given a proverbial arm and leg to draft a year earlier. Both Head Coach Jim Haslett and I were very uneasy hitching ourselves to the Williams wagon, based on some of his off-the- field activities that we had experienced throughout the prior year. So, when McAllister’s name came up, front and center, that day in the mock draft, it opened up a can of worms conversation that allowed us to vet and breakdown every angle of what to do if this actually happened in real time on draft day. I remember it started with Haslett saying, when we got to our pick in the mock, NOW WHAT DO WE DO? My answer, started the discussion…” WE PICK HIM”.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

As a certified draft nerd of many, many years, I just want to say this...

TPB 2021 has been the best draft discussion I have yet seen.

Props to all Charger fans/TPB.

You are passionate, solid in your football takes, salty, stubborn, full of shit...

simply the best !!!
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Your strategy is to draft average players because they are worth (cost) less on their second contract? A somewhat serviceable LT? Uh ... I have a better idea:

How about we draft superstars. Then we can use those great players for 4-5 yrs. Then we let them walk and sign those other average players you wanted to draft from the other teams that are dropping them to sign our superstars? We gain comp picks and draft more superstars. Winning!
        How about the Chargers draft players that get a second contract? Period.

I don't agree you pick average players to get cheaper second contracts. In the first round, you have to go for talent that hopefully fills a need, Maybe in later rounds you do for lower ceiling but higher floor players.

But the key in drafting is finding talent for your roster. And Yes, for the Chargers, its tricky as the value this year needs to be at OT and CB along with talent!

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
          Fluent in Sarcasm
          • Jun 2013
          • Iowa
          • Man of the People
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

You are passionate, solid in your football takes, salty, stubborn, full of shit...

simply the best !!!
          Well it always helps to have a few contrarians who make people support their thinking. Maybe challenge the hive mind mentally and make people really look at other options. Approach the draft as a whole and not just look at the easy answers in the first and second rounds....heck if they can even write some mocking witty prose to keep people on their toes that’s just icing on the cake.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 8/6/1960 View Post
            My biggest concern about Derrisaw is the reported tunnel vision (lack of awareness) on stunts and games by the DL. Don't know if that is coachable
            i think one divergence of opinion on Darisaw stems from those who value just pass protection vs his entire game.

Frankly, i just look at pass pro and see him getting beat or getting help more than i would like.

Watching the Notre Dame game, he got beat twice forcing the qb out of the pocket, and VT kept on aligning a tight end on his side to pass protect.

He's not perfect, nor is he guaranteed to be a 10 year foundational piece on our Oline.

I see nothing here written about Radunz with less than 2 weeks to go.

Comment

• eaterfan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

I hate to do this again, but if you have an hour and a quarter listen to today's Athletic Football show. They go DEEP into offensive line prospects with Brandon Thorne, line guru.

It's free.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

simply the best !!!
                This place really is the best. I learn sooooo much from the smart football guys here to help recalibrate my “educated fan” perspectives. Thanks guy!
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

i think one divergence of opinion on Darisaw stems from those who value just pass protection vs his entire game.

Frankly, i just look at pass pro and see him getting beat or getting help more than i would like.

Watching the Notre Dame game, he got beat twice forcing the qb out of the pocket, and VT kept on aligning a tight end on his side to pass protect.

He's not perfect, nor is he guaranteed to be a 10 year foundational piece on our Oline.

Thats the key part of the evaluation for the LEFT tackle with the Chargers - can the player pass protect

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post
                    I hate to do this again, but if you have an hour and a quarter listen to today's Athletic Football show. They go DEEP into offensive line prospects with Brandon Thorne, line guru.

It's free.

https://theathletic.com/podcast/211-...w/?episode=121
                    Free is always nice. Plus Thorn is a trencher enthusiast to say the least.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

How is his pass pro in space, does he have the feet, how are his hands (more important than just sheer length) strength and size to control pad level. Then you go mental, would he click with Herbert? Disciplined snap count, recognition and understands situations when plays break down, does he retaliate if so is it effective or counter productive (want a tackle who will not allow a player from another team get in Herberts face or worse yet injury him) there has to be a close knit bond, is he that type of player? Then I guess who have through in off the field, background growing up through College, bloodlines if any to former NFL players, what other sports did he play (good ones I like for a tackle are soccer, wrestling and Basketball just to name a few).

Put all that information together and who might scratch the surface of that player profile, but still so hard to measure his heart and desire based solely on background, measureables and references. Top that off with the draft process has gone virtual. I worry something could easily go amiss and paper not match up to reality.

So this is the squirrellest NFL draft ever. You’ve got top prospects who’ve set out two years because of injury’s others one year because of COVID, and rest with modified one year of production so it’s extra tough to compare and know anything for sure. Except I will say this, it’s a loaded OT class, little thin at the top but great depth 2nd tier from which several future starting LT’s will come from.

BPA #13 or Trade Back and draft franchise LT.

Now just got the Athletic alert O-Lineman breakdown with Brandon Thorn, see what he thinks, I’m just a Nobody.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Free is always nice. Plus Thorn is a trencher enthusiast to say the least.
                        Gonna listen later fo sho.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                          Draftnik
                          • Oct 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Agree. That 2019 Notre Dame tape wasn’t his best. He made big steps towards being a complete LT in the 2020 season.
                          Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

Working...
                          X