Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

It might have been the last decade I was looking at. I just know it included at least the entire time Telesco was has been the GM.

Edit: I found the chart. It was the last decade and it was only tackle, not OL total.
    https://twitter.com/PFF_Brad/status/...139860997?s=19

But the bottom line is that the Chargers have not spent a lot of draft capital on trying to fix the OT issue. The more the merrier approach has not been tried in any sense of the word.
    I agree we need to invest in the Oline. I just think we need to invest top tier draft capital more often not quantity of picks. This will increase our odds of hitting.
    After QB it is EDGE, OT, CB. I draft these positions early until I have a top 10 caliber player at each.
    We have QB and EDGE. We also have ELITE talented IMPACT players in Derwin, KA13, and K9.
    This draft is much deeper in CB/DB than OT.
    Sewell is the best OT prospect in over 10 years.
    It just makes too much sense.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I agree we need to invest in the Oline. I just think we need to invest top tier draft capital more often not quantity of picks. This will increase our odds of hitting.
      After QB it is EDGE, OT, CB. I draft these positions early until I have a top 10 caliber player at each.
      We have QB and EDGE. We also have ELITE talented IMPACT players in Derwin, KA13, and K9.
      unfortunately it just perpetuates team Tommy John's propensity for trading up, which is not a solid long-term strategy..... we need to be an org that consistently stockpiles draft picks and is confident enough in their draft chops to sit tight/let the draft come to them.

....not in favor of trading up,
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

Trading down for the sake of trading down is just as silly as trading up for the dake of trading up. The Patriots were widely praised for all the trading down they did - look how that turned out. Draft picks don't play football, football players do. You need a player and roster driven strategy.

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
          Trading down for the sake of trading down is just as silly as trading up for the dake of trading up. The Patriots were widely praised for all the trading down they did - look how that turned out. Draft picks don't play football, football players do. You need a player and roster driven strategy.
          I've got a strategy and think I've been clear about it... am not enamored by the talent in the top of the first, as much prefer trading down and taking my chances closer to the bottom of round one.... thx all the same,
          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• eaterfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Once again, I love Sewell, but let's really look at what it would cost. I think our first and second this year and maybe a 3rd next year to move up to Carolina's spot.

Let's just say we could get Darrisaw and Cosmi with those two picks. Let's assign some values to likely outcomes for these players. This is where people get into trouble. We really overestimate how good the top players will be.

Perennial probowl caliber (Top 5 LT): Sewell 20%, Darrisaw 10%, Cosmi 5%.
            Above average starter (Top 6-11 LT): Sewell 20%, Darrisaw 15%, Cosmi 10%
            Average starter (Top 12-23 LT): Sewell 20%, Darrisaw 20%, Cosmi 20%
            Below average starter (Remaining starting tackles): Sewell 20%, Darrisaw 25%, Cosmi 25%
            Bust (Not starting caliber): Sewell 20%, Darrisaw 30%, Cosmi 40%.

Those are pretty reasonable numbers. I think I'm being a little longer to Sewell and harder on Darrisaw than history suggests, but I like Sewell.

Sewell has a 60% chance of being an average starter or better. Darrisaw and Cosmi have an 80% chance one of them become an above average starter or better and a 16% both turn into average or better starters (assume one moves to RT). Additionally, it costs am extra third to get Sewell.

Comment

• Originally posted by equivocation View Post
              The strategy of acquiring the draft picks was masterful by the Patriots. The got their players and extra picks. Some of their selections with all of their draft picks were less than spectacular, though. The approach was right. The execution was poor at times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                4/2/21.

The day TT gets fired if he doesn’t bring in a starting quality OLT in the draft.
                5/2/21??? (Right after the draft, not before it.)

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

unfortunately it just perpetuates team Tommy John's propensity for trading up, which is not a solid long-term strategy..... we need to be an org that consistently stockpiles draft picks and is confident enough in their draft chops to sit tight/let the draft come to them.

....not in favor of trading up,
                  Which teams have done this with sustained success?
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

5/2/21??? (Right after the draft, not before it.)
                    Oops. At least I got the year right.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• eaterfan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Which teams have done this with sustained success?
                      Patriots, Packers, Colts (since Ballard took over), Steelers, and the Eagles have been teams that have historically generally acquired additional draft capital by trading down and/or letting FAs walk to gain comp picks.

You can evaluate the success or failure of these teams how you would like.

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

Patriots, Packers, Colts, and Eagles all traded up last year at least once. Patriots traded up like 4 times.

Comment

• eaterfan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                          Patriots, Packers, Colts, and Eagles all traded up last year at least once. Patriots traded up like 4 times.
                          I seem to recall saying historically and generally, not recently and exclusively. The Colts also traded their first round pick last year, too. But in general these teams have traded down far more often than they have traded up and acquired more capital trading down than expending it moving up. I think you are missing the point. This would be like if I responded by saying "and the Patriots missed the playoffs for the first time in a decade because of it."

I don't think anyone here is saying never trade up and always trade down. But Telesco has done the opposite, regularly traded up and never traded down.

Comment

Working...
                          X