• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eaterfan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

In comparison to the AJ Smith era? Probably more invested by Telesco: one #1, one #2, 3 # 3s,... vs.AJ smith: two #2, 1 #3.....
    No. This is in comparison to every other NFL team over the last 8 seasons. Not the Chargers history.

It is basically counting up the percentage of all the draft capital a team has dedicated to its offensive line. It takes all the draft capital a team has and then counts all the picks and trades that were used to acquire an OL and then dividing that by the draft capital each team has had over that time span.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Both will happen even when we trade up for Penei.
      We will have 7 (6 after Sewell) to acquire more talent.
      We can pick up CB, EDGE, IDL, DS, IOL, CB/TE/RB.
      After we still have UDFAs and post draft/vet cuts FA to round out the 2021 roster.
      Lets give our FRANCHISE QB the very best protection possible. This will increase our APPG more than any other prospect while dramatically increasing our running game, and the ensuring the future health of JH10.
      But you are giving up premium picks to get Sewell so the likelihood of having players contribute this year with the two sixth round picks and the 7th rounder is highly unlikely.

If it happens - it happens. Good for Telesco to try for it - just don't trust him in either trading up or drafting OL. The data shows that.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Both will happen even when we trade up for Penei.
        We will have 7 (6 after Sewell) to acquire more talent.
        We can pick up CB, EDGE, IDL, DS, IOL, CB/TE/RB.
        After we still have UDFAs and post draft/vet cuts FA to round out the 2021 roster.
        Lets give our FRANCHISE QB the very best protection possible. This will increase our APPG more than any other prospect while dramatically increasing our running game, and the ensuring the future health of JH10.
        This post gets five stars.
        Approved.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

No. This is in comparison to every other NFL team over the last 8 seasons. Not the Chargers history.

It is basically counting up the percentage of all the draft capital a team has dedicated to its offensive line. It takes all the draft capital a team has and then counts all the picks and trades that were used to acquire an OL and then dividing that by the draft capital each team has had over that time span.
          Telesco either nails this pick at Left Tackle (combined with his offseason enhancements) or its time he is replaced. I know thats probably overly dramatic but it will be pretty tough for the team to have success this year if the LT (and OLine) is not improved

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

The Chargers have spent the least amount of draft capital on OL since Tom Telesco took over. We haven't tried the more the merrier approach. We have actual tried the absolute least the merrier approach.
            This is just a demonstrably false statement.
            Literally the first team I looked up was the Steelers. Steelers = 5 drafted Olinemen since 2013. 1 - 3rd, 2 - 4th, 1 - 5th, 1 - 7th.
            Why? Because over the previous 3 drafts (2010-2012) they spent 2 - 1st and 2 - 2nd rounders building a quality foundation to their Oline.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• eaterfan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Literally the first team I looked up was the Steelers. Steelers = 5 drafted Olinemen since 2013. 1 - 3rd, 2 - 4th, 1 - 5th, 1 - 7th.
              Why? Because over the previous 3 drafts (2010-2012) they spent 2 - 1st and 2 - 2nd rounders building a quality foundation to their Oline.
              It might have been the last decade I was looking at. I just know it included at least the entire time Telesco was has been the GM.

Edit: I found the chart. It was the last decade and it was only tackle, not OL total.
              https://twitter.com/PFF_Brad/status/...139860997?s=19

But the bottom line is that the Chargers have not spent a lot of draft capital on trying to fix the OT issue. The more the merrier approach has not been tried in any sense of the word.
              Last edited by eaterfan; 04-21-2021, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Telesco either nails this pick at Left Tackle (combined with his offseason enhancements) or its time he is replaced. I know thats probably overly dramatic but it will be pretty tough for the team to have success this year if the LT (and OLine) is not improved
                I really hope he nails the LT in the draft, but I gotta give him credit for addressing the IOL, which IMV was more problematic than the tackles (although it was all terrible).

I feel like I’m all pre-drafted out. Rarely is anything said that hasn’t already been hashed and rehashed. Thinking of inducing an 8 day coma.
                Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

I really hope he nails the LT in the draft, but I gotta give him credit for addressing the IOL, which IMV was more problematic than the tackles (although it was all terrible).

I feel like I’m all pre-drafted out. Rarely is anything said that hasn’t already been hashed and rehashed. Thinking of inducing an 8 day coma.
                  very true... ready for the draft to be over with
                  it will be pretty quiet around here from May 1 through end of July

But to your point - -this offseason I think Telesco has addressed two areas that needed to be addressed
                  the OL - and to your point, IOL
                  and even Special Teams with Ryan Smith and Kyler Fackrell (also can fill in at Edge Rusher)

Cook and Daniels were good signings because they needed TE and back up QB.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

Both those tiny dudes are going to get broken in the NFL.
                    Devonta Smith hasn't missed a single game in college.

so you gotta give him that at least.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

5/2/21.

The day TT gets fired if he doesn’t bring in a starting quality OLT in the draft.
                      Last edited by Formula 21; 04-21-2021, 02:24 PM.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

23% of the non-ST starters are OL. The Chargers do not spend more than 23% of their draft capital on OL. Not even close.

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

good point.... if you do it right, great OL usually have long careers, so you dont have to draft them as often....

Comment

Working...
                          X